cricket has a swelled up jaw

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
connie

cricket has a swelled up jaw

Post by connie »

hi everyone,anyone know what i can give cricket for a swelled jaw, mostly high near eye? vet won't be in till wed. and it is worrying me. he woke up with it this morning. i checked his teeth , don't look like one is bad or broke. wonder if something bit him there, maybe a spider? i seen a lot in house lately.
any advice would help, he don't like like he hurts, but it sure hurts me.
hugs,
connie and cricket
Cindidoxiemom

Re: cricket has a swelled up jaw

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Sounds like she got bit. You might try a benadryl. Start with a 1/2 of a 25 mg tab. See if it helps. It will make her drowsy most likely.
Give Cricket a big nose kiss!
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Wise Owl

Re: cricket has a swelled up jaw

Post by Wise Owl »

Hi Connie, Luka got bit on the nose by some insect this summer not sure what it was, deer fly maybe, bee, who knows? I put some arnica gel on it and the swelling came down in about an hour..

We use arnica gel for black fly and mosquito bites all the time. It takes the itch out and the swelling. Before we figured out that it worked so well we suffered for days with bug bites. We live in Maine and black flies are horrendous for about a month up here.....Arnica saves us!
You can also use it with for muscles and sore joints which is what we had it for in the first place. I try to keep a tube of it around all the time. You can get it in different blends with other healing herbals also. I have a couple on hand now. One has st.johns wort in it and a few other things.
Great stuff....absolutely great stuff.....it has really helped my aching back since I have had to carry Luka around...

You can pick it up at your health food store. I would also try the bendryl like cindi said.
Hope Cricket gets better soon..