vet update on cricket

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
connie

vet update on cricket

Post by connie »

hi pals,
well the diagnosis is in>>>> SPOILED ROTTEN.!! LOL
but how can i not spoil the little fellow, i am away from him for 12 or more hours a day? i am off this weekend(first in 21 days), so we are going to have quality time.
i asked vet for some cream for his carpet burns, she sent me to druggist, they said it will help but he must not be running chasing ball and playing for a bit. she also told me to put baby pants on him, he will love that, he adores clothes. lol
i told vet about the school building cricket a cart and would she take photo with cricket and kids and teacher. she is excited, wants to write a article about it. now i all i need is to get time off to take him to school to be measured. then he is set to go , i plan on having newspaper and t.v do time on the story. i plan on giving mark and this site the credit you all deserve, cricket's progress came from here as much as from me and vets. he is walking a bit this week, but as soon as i ignore him , he whines and drags. i came home at 10 am today to empty his bladder, my neighbor had to pull him off my shoulder. he held on with paws crossed, nails dug in, howling till my heart was breaking. my brother said, he never saw anything like that. lol. I AM LOVED!! lol. he just needs some time with mommy, then maybe he'll try to walk again. it comes and goes right now. carol, his bowels are fine, moves 2 times a day after meals like clockwork. i have never had trouble there. no uti's at all since surgery, so we are blessed there.
no pain, just lonely we all think, for me. my life has been so hectic , with mom, brother, sisters sick, my work load, my stress rubs off on him. my B/P got real high today, my druggest took it, told me i was playing a dangerous game. so off to the doctor for me before the month is out, i promise.
i thank you all for caring, it helps so much to unload here. no one but US, knows how we feel about these handicapps pets.
oh the love people are missing out on by not giving handicaps pets a chance . cricket gets me up in the morning and keeps me going all day. i am needed. lol.
so any suggestions about spoiling? without ignoring, can't do that to him. he is still not eating unless hand fed, but eats good. i tryed withholding, not working. lol.
take care my friends, hope each of you and your babes are fine, getting better every day. your all in my prayers every night. believe me, god answers them, he blessed me with cricket's recovery.
a hug to each of you,
connie and cricket
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: vet update on cricket

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

WHAT A RELIEF! I am so happy for this diagnosis!
Him is BRILLIANT! :) :) :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Ohhhhhhhh YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! I'm so glad that Cricket is o.k.. Connie hon...PLEASE promise us you will relax and rest on your day off. PLEASE....I really worry about you!

Also...I have noticed with Oscar that he goes through periods where his back legs are very active, and he tries to stand a lot, and then there are times he is more like he was early on after the surgery.

I'm just so glad to hear Cricket is ok.

I have had to deal with sores on Oscar before. I treated them with antibiotic ointment...placed a steril pad on it then wrapped it in self adhesive bandage. The bandage protected the scoot sore while he was healing.
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Connie,

So glad that it's only spoiled "rottenitis". That's a big relief. I guess he just has separation anxiety from his mom.

My blood pressure rises just reading your schedule. I sure hope you aren't getting up at 2 AM any longer. You REALLY need a vacation from stress and work, family, and everything. Can we order you to crate rest for a week?

You sound like a dream caretaker, but do you REALLY need to work so hard? I am so very concerned about YOU.

D
sunspirit

Post by sunspirit »

Glad to hear the diagnosis is spoiled rotten. I don't think there's a cure for that, but why should there be? They deserve it :-)

I agree with Dianne, sounds like you need to be assigned to crate rest. Take care of yourself, for the sake of Cricket and others in your life.
Lauren & Tucker

Tucker http://www.dogster.com/?299836

connie

Post by connie »

cindi, how did you get the sterile pad and wrap to stay on? it always comes off cricket. i tried a diaper tonight, left the room only to come back and find shredded stuffings all over living room. lol. THAT he refuses to wear. i bought baby oneies, the snaps bother him. baby pants comes off, so i am in a pickle on what to put on him so he can heal. help pals? lol i am raising a stubborn little cuss here. lol. his carpet burns are on the inside of his legs real high, on either side of his wee wee.
so it's a hard spot to cover up. the ointment is helping but i can't slow him down.
i am enjoying days off. spent today shopping with my brother, went out to eat. had a great time. came home, was gonna clean house, brother made me quit. said it was day off. lol.
i am trying to slow down but am so darn hyper. lol.
i am touched by all of your caring here, it means a lot to know i have pals here.
take care and let me know if you or anyone has any suggestions on belly wraps. vet and i both are frazzled, cricket too darn smart for us. lol
a hug for you all,
connie and cricket ( the spoiled one) lol
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Connie,

What about that spray barrier by 3M that I have seen mentioned. I know his "owies" are close to his "no no" (sorry, had to do that :0), but maybe you could cover it just long enough to spray each leg? Or...would the toe end of a stretchy sock with holes cut for his legs stay on? Remember the picture of the three tiny kittens wearing baby socks for little pants? I hope you can find something that works and will make it easier for you both and....I really feel it is time for a "crate rest intervention" for you. Sending healing thoughts and hugs to you both.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film

The product protects intact, damaged or 'at risk' skin from irritation. This may be due to urinary or faecal incontinence, leakage of digestive juices or wound exudate, and peri-wound maceration. 3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film forms a uniform waterproof film on the skin, which is colourless and transparent for easy skin monitoring. The product contains no alcohol, so does not sting, even on severely excoriated, reddened or stripped skin. 3M™ Cavilon™ No Sting Barrier Film provides up to 72 hours of protection, for clinically proven, cost-effective care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Ooooohhhh good idea christine!

Connie~ I didn't realize crickets burns were so high. Can you wrap around his hock with that stretchy bandage or does it just clump up? Christine's idea may work best, and you may have to crate Cricket for a few days to give those spots time to heal.
HUGS,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

connie wrote:i am trying to slow down but am so darn hyper. lol.

Take Caffeine-free and mix it with your regular Diet DP. You may need your first soda of the day full strength, but the rest of the day you could try half and half. I do something like that with tea.
connie

Post by connie »

thanks christine,
i will ask my druggist for some. i am willing to try anything to get his skin better. so far, everything comes off or he pulls them off. the medicine is helping some. i tryed crating him, OHHHHHHHH the noise!! my brother said FOR GOD SAKE, LET HIM OUT lol so i hold him as much as i can to avoid carpets.
so glad my carpets are soft, not rougher like some or he'd be worse. i will try your spray, and will keep you updated. i am off work ill today, will look tomorrow. thanks for the suggestions.
take care, hope all your family, furry and not( lol ) are fine.
hugs,
connie and cricket