We did a video on paralysed dogs in adoption (Spain)

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Debbie-Spain

We did a video on paralysed dogs in adoption (Spain)

Post by Debbie-Spain »

We did a 10 min "film" on three of our more complicated paralysis cases in Spain that are looking for homes anywhere in the world!

It's in Spanish and English. The English is a bit basic as it's designed for non-native speakers in Europe and due to space constraints. In fact, resources are limited so the whole thing is a bit basic but it's a first attempt.

Although we don't think it will bring in a crowd of potential adopters, the idea was also to raise awareness about disabled animals in Spain; we are centuries behind here. Even animal rescuers tend to adopt purebred puppies! Though things are slowly changing, it's a fight. This last week 3 other paralysed dogs here were PTS because we couldn't take them and the people who did and were going to help them were horrified because the dogs were incontinent so they had them killed. I feel so bad but we just don't have any more foster homes capable of taking them at the moment.

I was wondering whether to post it in the adoptions section of the forum in case there are people in Europe who look in.

If anyone's interested in taking a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WqbReCjQ7k

All these three dogs were abandoned, and are now in foster homes. None are with me although I am kind of responsible for them. They're just three of the reasons I am never around here these days :-)

Please understand we don't have access to many of the aids you have in the US, e.g. treadmills (although I'm working on that one).

If you are in any forums with European participants I'd be grateful if you can post the link.

Thanks

Debbie
critters
Founding Member

Re: We did a video on paralysed dogs in adoption (Spain)

Post by critters »

I'll post it at Pet Talk; you might also try the Spanish bb here at HP.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Wow! Debbie-spain, that is something!
We here in South Carolina are quite backward as well as it relates to handicaps. So I understand and so applaud your campaign.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

wow debbie you're a great person!
What nice dogs they are, keep us posted please.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
BethT

Post by BethT »

That video is beautiful. You are an amazing person Debbie.
Beth
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Thanks very much, but I can't take the credit for any of these, we have them all in other foster homes. I had Turko the quad dog here for a month to give his caretaker a rest and even with part-time help, after a month I was worn out. Just getting him into his wheelchair was a major challenge for 2 people and impossible for one. His usual caretaker is amazing, and always very positive and optimistic.

My only disabled foster is the neuro puppy, Patufet, and I'm not sure how things are going to turn out there... I tried him in Bombón's wheelchair today thinking that his front end had enough control to stop him falling but it doesn't. He's like a CH kitty but in dog form, and the more he grows the more it appears he is quite severely affected. I think he'll need a quad chair, but of course, he still has to grow a lot. He has me quite worried because as a puppy he is manageable but as he gets bigger I'm not sure what will happen.

Thanks Critters for putting the link in PetTalk, I'll put it in the Spanish section here too.

The good news is that Lowell, the first of the dogs with paralysis and a leg amputated, has a good offer of a home, there are some issues that need to be sorted out before he can go (he bites his penis and has done considerable damage), but fingers crossed...

Anything being done here is thanks to finding this board and the story of Bendy's Legume when I first found Kat back in 2002... I'm not around as much as I'd like because we are dealing with so many cases here, but it really is home for us :-)

Debbie
sunspirit

Post by sunspirit »

What a beautiful video. It shows their fighting spirit. The music was wonderful too. That was very moving. Glad to hear Lowell is close to going to his forever home.
Lauren & Tucker

Tucker http://www.dogster.com/?299836