Announcing Buddy, doxie #7!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Paul Coover

Announcing Buddy, doxie #7!

Post by Paul Coover »

OK, the secret is finally out. Today we rescued Buddy, a red mini dachshund from Kittery, Maine.

Buddy lived with an elderly woman and was not given enough rules & discipline. Consequently, he bit her on the face! Well, she was understandably afraid of him now, so she had to give him up. I was contacted last week about him and I spoke to the owner's daughter. We arranged a meeting and I took Buddy into our family.

They did not want to put him down, but they did not have any other option. SO, I am happy that I can save another doxie life!

This little guy is really amusing! He is food agressive, which is a problem. Kebo doesn't like him, but Kebo HATES change, so they will argue for a short while. Buddy holds his own against the rest of the Weinerdogs.

I felt really bad about taking him from the daughter, who was in tears as I drove away. But his life is spared, and in the end that is all that really matters. Now for some pictures of Buddy!

Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Dianne

Re: Announcing Buddy, doxie #7!

Post by Dianne »

WOWEE!!! Congratulations on the new member of your family.

Lil' Buddy will be a good friend even if he is currently a bad dog. I have one of those too. Yep, bad dogs can be good friends.

Loved the pics.

Dianne
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy you can never have too many dachshunds! Congrats on your new addition!
What a cutie pie!
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Paul, I thought of you when I saw this on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clay-DACHSHUND-DOXI ... dZViewItem
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

He's beautiful, but is it the angle or is he a little on the skinny side? Maybe he's food aggressive from being underfed? Was she forgetful? More often dogs belonging to seniors tend to be thick-waisted. Happy for him and you! BIG congratulations! :)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

You can end or at least temper food aggression again by stating your alpha. Take him into a room with you and feed him one kibble at a time. He gets a kibble when you say he does.
Then gradually add another dog, but still Buddy gets kibble one at a time. Soon, give kibble to another dog. This can take weeks or longer. In meantime, he eats by himself, so he does not act out.
WELCOME LITTLE BUDDY!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

After day 1, I don't really see any issues with Buddy. He is food agressive, but he is being weaned off of his old food so he will be eating alone for a few weeks.

He is such a funny little guy! He can REALLY jump, which is not really a good thing. He loves attention and he has fit in perfectly with the gang. Kebo still isn't real happy withhim, but they are tolerating each other.

Yes, Carol, I think he is a little underweight. I would say 3-4 pounds under. Well, no problem here! He will eat for sure!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Christine

Post by Christine »

Seven is a lucky number.... especially for Buddy! He already looks as though he has settled in. You and your wife "are the bomb"!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
ems736336

Post by ems736336 »

Ohhhhh! What a handsome baby. I love him!
Is there any limit on how many you can have? You keep this up and you will be the Dachshund no kill shelter of Maine!
I wish I had the time, money, and family that would put up with having many more of the guys too! (Let alone the city regs that would let me.)
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

There is no limit as far as I know, and to be honest I don't want to know. I keep saying that we have enough, but when one is about to be killed I can't help but step in. I believe it is my responsibility to do so.
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover

We miss you Pedro...
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Remember the song "One is the Luckiest Number...?" Well I say SEVEN is - yahoo Buddy and the rest of your crew are very lucky pups to have great people like you.
Lucky, lucky you to be able to have such a great family of pups. Cheers Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
SandyNY

Re: congratulations

Post by SandyNY »

Hope all is still going well. I hope #1 Doxie and #2 doxie don't get too upset with you bringing home another!! Am glad he is fitting in so well. he may be able to teach the others some new tricks -- who says small dogs can't counter surf, too? Lock up the bread!
Paul Coover

Re: congratulations

Post by Paul Coover »

Buddy is doing well in his new home. He has found his place in the pack, and we are teaching him some manners. Here are some pictures!

Buddy and Pork Chop

Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover

We miss you Pedro...
AmazingHope

Post by AmazingHope »

Congratulations Paul!!!!! What a beauty! Tell the doxie's hello from Oklahoma!
connie

Post by connie »

oh what a pretty face. i always said ANGELS FLY OVER YOUR HOME! so glad there was room for one more. i know if you saw the show on t.v the other night, neo would have been in your home also. lol. cricket is a bad dog too, he bites me sometimes also, but he gets punished and i can live with it. i just have to be careful around others, he has this attitude problem. vet said he is spoiled. anyway, congrats on buddy, he is adorable, give him a big hug from cricket and I. keep us updated on the gang.
connie and cricket