Lasix and Potassium deficiency

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Dianne

Lasix and Potassium deficiency

Post by Dianne »

My senior 15 y/o cat, Harley, is on lasix for CHF (congestive heart failure). His brother is also back on Glipizide for diabetes.

I talked to the vet yesterday when renewing Harley's lasix prescription. She thought that a cat multivitamin would supply any potassium depeted by the lasix.

Does anyone know whether that is true? Or should we get some potassium at GNC?

Dianne
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Dianne,

I only know what I was told by my vet. When my mother was on Lasix, a potassium supplement was very important. So I asked the vet about it when my cat was on Lasix and he said with cats it wasn't as important. There is a product called Tumil-K gel that you can give to supplement potassium. I have used it with a cat and he did not like it very well. You have to give quite a big mouthful each dose. I think I'd go with the Tumil-K pills if I ever have to do it again. Maybe somebody else will know more.
Dianne

Tumil-K

Post by Dianne »

http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/su ... htm#TumilK

I found it on the internet, but need a prescription to get it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Dianne
Zorro

Potassium supplementation

Post by Zorro »

Please be careful with potassium supplementation. Too much potassium can create as many problems as too little (cardiac arrhythmias). Follow your vet's advice on this one.
Dianne

Thank you

Post by Dianne »

Thanks Zorro. I understand that too much or too little potassium could cause an arrhythmia.

The Vet acts as though Harley is "on his last leg", and we shouldn't expect him to live beyond a few more months. It's been 4 months since the initial collapse. The vet told me to expect a maximum of 6 months.

We'll start with the cat multivitamins.

Dianne