sitting up with Sierra

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

sitting up with Sierra

Post by Bendy Kitty »

this is by BendyMom, not Bendy.

Sierra is a foster at a good friend's house, she spent some time at my house and I became attached to her. She is ancient. No one really knows how old, she arrived with kittens, in poor shape, in the middle of last year. I have placed all but one of her kittens.
She is nearly blind from cataracts, she is one of those bone-thin cats that makes you wonder why they can stand up at all. She actually gained some weight over the last few weeks, but she has been fighting a URI (a very bad one we have delt with all year which has claimed many cats of all ages). the other day I noted her heart rate was VERY fast, about 280. Surely she has heart disease. She had started to stagger now and then, but today she was particularly bad.
I cleaned he rface, gave her SQ penicillin, pedialyte by mouth, and she seemed to stabilize a little.
I do work on my laptop, and as I have been here loading (using my friend's fast connection) I have had Sierra next to me.
Suddenly she bolted across my lap, staggered, and did that horrible backwards arch. I woke up my friend to ask where the pain killers were. Poor Sierra was trembling, I was afraid she had thorwn a clot and was afraid she was dying.
Yet, in the time it took to draw up the meds, she started to settle. We decided to give her enough to ease the pain, it is a barbituate and fast acting. Slowly my internal wheels ground along, I had earlier that day pondered starting her on low dose aspirin like my other heart disease cats had been on. So, taking a chance, we also gave her a quarter of a baby aspirin. She is now sitting very comfy next to the radiant heater. She stayed in my lap a long time, at first shaking an dpurring and clutching my arm in teh all too familiar "I really hurt" behavior. But she began to relax, and finally seemed content. Eventually she became restless and so I put her down. She walked around a little, then settled where she was on the floor. I moved her to a bed next to the heater. I don' t know if she will pass away in the night, or if she will still be here tomorrow, but at least she is comfy. She has been very happy here, she eats well and likes to sit with people and socialize with the other cats. So, at least she has a good life when she isn't in pain. I honeslty don't think she can beat this URI, there is so little of her to fight with, but we'll do teh best we can with her. Tomorrow I am goign to pick up some injectable benedryl, which is a home kitchen sink way of saying goodbye. If she starts arching and doesn't stop, or doesn't respond to the pain meds, or if her lungs fill with fluid (this URI is sometimes accompanied by a very fast moving pneumonia which is what has killed so many fosters this year) we won't let her suffer.
At some point in the last ? years I found myself thinking that part of my 'job' with cats was to see them off. To make sure that they had as peaceful a passing as possible, and to be with them to the end.
I have done far too much of that this year. I hope Sierra still hsa some time left, but if she doesn't I'll be here to say goodbye.

It is time for me to go home now to Bendy, who will be so happy to see me. And I will try not to notice that he got into the other cats' food and will probably have a messy butt and maybe have thrown up in the bed.
I can always sleep on teh couch in the senior room, they would appreciate the company.

this is early fo rme, usually I don't finish until almost 4:30am.

good night all.

Sasha
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Dianne

Sierra

Post by Dianne »

Sasha,

Could this be congestive heart failure (CHF)?

One of my 15 year olds had a smiliar attack last summer, and lay on the floor panting rapidly with his tougue hanging out of his mouth. I was sure he was dying, twice.

He is greatly improved since we started Lasix, and has outlived the grim prediction of the vet. We are more than 6 months past the attacks and he can climb stairs, and enjoys being with his brother.

Do you think it is CHF?

Dianne
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Poor Sierra. How is she this AM?
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

comfy

Post by Bendy Kitty »

she is comfy, seeking attention and food, but very shaky and wobbly. i doubt she will last the week, but at least she is comfy.

bendy mom

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Bone thin and high heart rate sounds like thyroid. Can you run a quick T-4?
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

the rescue group hasn't paid her last vet bill and

Post by Bendy Kitty »

my vet can no longer float me, unfortunately I don' t have any funds to get tests run :(
I am trying to figure out how to pay the mortgage and the electric bill :(

bendy

SandyNY

Sierra

Post by SandyNY »

It is good to know that after a hard life, Sierra has found a comfortable and compassionate place to rest her head. Hope you are able to keep her comfortable. Wish we were closer - would run over to help - sending her a cyber pet.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

she is gone

Post by Bendy Kitty »

she passed away this am, see my post in the rainbow bridge section.

:(

bendy

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Poor old girl. :cry: I'm sorry for your loss.