Torn cruciate ligaments

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
hennyevie

Torn cruciate ligaments

Post by hennyevie »

Cotton is 13 and had surgery on her left rear knee for a torn cruciate ligament about 4 years ago. Sometime during the last year it gave way. Now her other knee has blown out. The vet says she has arthritis in both knees now and she is getting a coritsone shot about every 6 weeks. This week is the first time she has had difficulty climbing stairs. Actually, she cannot climb the steps anymore. I don't know what to do. None of the postings seem to deal with ACL problems. Has anyone tried the support leashes, braces or wheeled devices for this problem? She is half cocker and half beagle and weighs about 55 pounds. The doctor said we will need to seriously consider the "other option" when she can no longer walk. We are almost there and it just seems putting her down is an overreaction. Can anyone offer advice?
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

i know in people torn knee ligaments are helped a lot by PT

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I would do a searcho n physical therapy for torn knee ligaments. Look at the kinds of exercises that are recommended for people for the different ligaments and do your best to adjust those to Cotton. You could post what you find here and people can help brainstorm. Knee braces are helpful to people but I'm not sure how you brace a dog's knee, someone else might. I would try other antiinflammatories in addition, such as Cosequin and MSM.

Carts are definitly a good option! Many many dogs on this site live good lives in carts. Yes, it means an adjustment to lifestyle for you both, but it allows her to continue being mobile. If you haven't already, I woudl also post in the mobility issues forums.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

My dog Quincy who has since passed had torn his cruciates when he was about 12 years old. He was a pitbull mix who was about 65#. The doctor said he would not consider him a candidate for surgery because of his age. He started him on Rimadyl and also Cosequin which is glucosamine/chondrotin supplements. This helped tremendously as he was able to walk again and go for his walks with my other dog. If you need to eventually get a wheelchair, I would also recommend this. My dog Jack who was born with partial paralysis of his hind legs and would pull himself around got a wheelchair a few months after I got him. There was no way that I could take him for walks at 45 # even with a sling for his back legs. He would fly on that wheel chair. I did have in physical therapy with a canine rehabilitator which involved the underwater treadmill and he can walk on his own now and does not need the wheelchair. I think there are several good options for your dog. Diana
SandyNY

cruciates

Post by SandyNY »

While I have no experiance with cruciates, I did have a gsd who had "loose joints" since I got him at two years old. The Cosequin DS was like turining night to day with him. Not so dramatic with the other dogs - but it did seem to help them. With the gsd, you could tell if he missed acouple of days as his mobility was not the same. He also took aspirin twice a day for the last year or two. Nicki , senior rottie, took deramaxx. Porkchop took rimadyl.
You have a lot of things to consider about the situation you are in. Your vet may not think it a "good" quality of life for your dog to live needing assistance with steps , etc. This is not the vet's decision to make, it is yours and yours alone. You are the only one who can gauge what you can live with and also your dog's happiness and vitality. You will probably also need toweigh in the expense of things. I think that at this point you may be willing to try a few things to see if your dog can live happy and pain free. You can get cosequin from your vet, you may be able to get it cheaper thru catalogs like KVVet supply. You don't need a script for it. For something like Deramaxx or Rimadyl you need a script, for dog aspirin you do not. I think some web or book searches and look into exercises - and check back here as more people have time to get to it - and you may find some easy alternatives to a comfortable life without surgery. you can use a towel for a makeshift harness by slining it under the dog. Let us know what you are feeling - how you are doing with this!