17 years old Golden Retriever

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
pulsar

17 years old Golden Retriever

Post by pulsar »

Hi Everyone,

I am new in this forum.

My dog is aleady 17 years old, she has losing mobility on both of her hind legs; in fact, she had an operation on her splint 7 years ago and was dianogised a moderate hip dysplasia problem when she was 5 years old.

Having said that she was already 17 years old now, my vet told me that I am lucky to have such a "Senior Golden Retriever".

I don't know how long she can still with me, but recently she was also dianogised a mild Kidney problem which brings her red blood cell down.

I am giving her "RECOMDOR" - an expensive injection 3 times per week (one month cycle treatment) to help her.

I am well prepared for losing her at any time though I will miss her very much!!

Can anyone share my feelings?

Pulsar :oops:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

WOW! This achievement is truly extraordinary. Her age is a testament to your love and care.

As far as how long to treat, I would suggest that as long as she loves seeing you, being with you, in the long run as opposed to a temporary down time, she has good quality of life.

I can only tell you that we indeed move heaven and earth for those that we love, and when they have been with us for a lifetime, they have an impact into our very beings that we don't realize...

Love her, care for her, and follow her heart.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
gpgscott

Re: 17 years old Golden Retriever

Post by gpgscott »

Hi Pulsar,

17 years is very long. Moria is just over 14 and also has hip issues. We have been using Adaquane and Rimidyl as needed. We recently had an emergency where she become totally lame on one hip and it took a course of Tramadol and Deramaxx to get her back mobile again and relieve the pain. I am searching for alternatives. We also supplement with glucosomine sulfate and flaxseed oil. She has Atypical Cushing's which is fairly well controlled with a melatonin implant and purified lignans.

The only reference I can find to Recomdor in english points to your post. Will you please tell us more about it.

Best to you and your pup. Scott
FYI

Neorecormon - erythropoietin

Post by FYI »

Billieswango

Post by Billieswango »

I find it strange that i cant find any information on Recomdor that isnt in chinese. Where are you located? (And where is your vet getting it :? haha - maybe getting it cheap overseas). Anyway, adequan is a medication that im very familiar with and if recomdor is anything like it, then i would recommend staying on that first thing (strangely, adequan is pretty inexpensive though - so you might want to talk to you vet about changing drugs). But your dog has had a great long life with an obviously wonderful and caring owner. i think at this point keeping your pup comfortable is the most important thing. dont forget to reassess quality of life over quantity of life. You obviously love your doggie very much and only you know her best. She will let you know, when you look into her eyes, when its her time. I wish you the best of luck keeping her happy and comfortable until that time comes.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

http://www.neorecormon.com.au/informati ... on-cmi.cfm

This information is in the website linked by FYI above. RECOMDOR sounds like a reference to Neorecormon. Neorecormon is erythropoetin, which is an expensive injection you can give to stimulate the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow. This dog has a low red count so it would make sense. Some people here may have heard of erythropoetin in connection with renal failure.

Here is some info on erythropoetin.

http://www.biosbcc.net/doohan/sample/ht ... 0cells.htm