stair lift for dogs

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
starchick

stair lift for dogs

Post by starchick »

Does anyone know of an electric chair lift for dogs for stairs?
The human variety are very expensive and not really made for pets. This is for a very old (16) beagle. Thanks[color=black][/color]
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

We've had this discussion around here several times, and the best anybody could come up with was a wheelchair lift or modifying a human stair lift. For outside use, you could make a small ramp in switchbacks. :pastel:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Christine found a link to a neat article showing how someone made one for their dog. Below that is a link to the original article. The original is in German, and we are trying to see if someone will translate it, but in the meantime maybe the pictures will be helpful.

http://zagica.blogspot.com/2008/02/stai ... y-dog.html

http://www.berrywood.de/pages/diary/07- ... sehen.html
Christine

stair lift

Post by Christine »

I did a search on the “ henry mobile stair lift for dogs” and there are a few more articles in English.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... stair+lift

Henry Conny and Bernhard Schrader of Hamburg, Germany are the creators of this doglift. I have been trying to search them without very much luck. I posted a comment to the story of the Daily Mail in hopes of getting more information, maybe even from Mr. Conny or Mr. Schrader right here on our board.

I also emailed the bull dog website who posted the story in their diary and asked if they might have more information and possibly post here.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

NICE WORK, Christine!!! :trophy:
Christine

I got an answer!

Post by Christine »

Here is the answer to my email...things are looking up! Coincidentally, I was born in Munich' with a German mother who went out of her way to Americanize including not wanting us to speak German.

(I will post the pictures in a separate reply.)

Hello Christine,

thank you for your email.
Isn't it amazing how the internet is able to bring people together! How

on earth you found Henry's story on my little German website is a
miracle to me, but how fortunate!

>
I am a member of a discussion board of owners of handicapped pets.
We
> have recently been trying to obtain information for one of our
members
> regarding a stair life for her 16-year old dog who is unable to
> navigate stairs. I happened upon the story of the Henry Mobile and
> was wondering if the gentlemen who built it would share their
> construction details or advice?
I will ask him, it didn't seem very complicated, of course the heart of it all is the motor which pulls the cart upwards. It has to be strong enough to transport a 30kg male bulldog. IIRC he bought it on ebay, and it was the dearest part of the construction. Basically, it is a wooden box on wheels, running on metal rails on a board, pulled upwards with a belt. Henry is trained to get inside the box, wait until his owner has reached the switch upstairs, and keep sitting while the lift slowly moves upstairs. As he has learned this from puppyhood, I could
imagine it might be difficult to make a 16-y-old dog keep calm in such a thing!

There is another model, by the way, for his younger nephew Louis, that has just been built at Louis' new home, presumably even better. I don't know yet how that one works or what it looks like, but I'll also ask these owners if they can help with a description and, perhaps, a picture. It might take a few days until I can come back to you.

In the meantime, I will send you a picture of Henry showing that he is not short-legged and could easily climb the stairs!
(I found this hilarious! Christine)

Only I asked his owners to try and keep him from doing so until he was 18 months old, for the sake of his hips and elbows. The lift will surely come in handy if Henry should ever get an injury (my Rosa ran though broken glass the other day...) or when he gets old. Conny also loves it because she no longer needs to haul her shopping bags up the steep staircase! Its name

"Henrymobil" is a pun, refering to the car built especially for the
Pope, the "Papamobil" ;-)

The stories in my diary, btw, are always written from the point of view of the dogs. Henry has no idea why the film team are coming and what it's all about, he assumes it is because he's such a handsome lad and he finds their interest in his lift rather silly - as they keep asking him to go up and down, dozens of times, he concludes that they are probably a little dumb and need to be treated with patience...

Having it translated wouldn't really help you with your forum problem,
I don't think.

Thanks again, take care

Nüle Mersch
Berrywood Bulldogs
English Bulldogs Olde Type
www.berrywood.de
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Picture of King Henry

Post by Christine »

This is the picture of the bulldog with the "short" legs! :lol:
Attachments
imHofMitConny-klein[1].JPG
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Henryjette

Post by Henryjette »

Hallo,
my name is Conny Schrader and my husband Bernhard built the "Henrymobile" Our young bulldog "Henry" wasn't allowed to climb stairs until the age of 18 moths. Now he has 2 years and he climbs the stairs up and down, but he is a very lazzy boy and he loves driving in his " Henrymobile" but now he must share it with "Jette".
" Jette" is 4 months old and like"Henry"she is also not allowed to climb stairs until the age of 18 moths. We also take care for her health, her hips and ellbows.
We'll try to send you photos of the "Henrymobil" to help you and your dog.
many greetings from Germany
Conny& Bernhard
with Henry&Jette
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Conny,

It is wonderful that you are here!!!

Your pictures will help many people and dogs. :)

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:group: Conny! What a smart machine you all built!! It will help so many people!
Henryjette

Post by Henryjette »

Thank you very much for your welcome

I need some time for the translation of the building construction,
and changing the photos from 1000s KBs in a smaler form, but I try to hurry up

I hope we can help you and your handicaped animals

mny greetings from germany
Conny & co.
Christine

Hello!!

Post by Christine »

Dear Conny,

Thank you so much for answering us! Loving your dogs as much as you do, I am sure you can imagine what a gift this will be to some of our owners trying to help their handicapped pets..

If you need help re-sizing your pictures, let us know and again...DANKE!!!!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Re: stair lift for dogs

Post by Christine »

Just wanted to let you all know that Nule of Berrywood Bulldogs wrote me again to say that Conny has been very busy with her horses and a new little bulldog. (I had written to her to ask if she could contact Conny for us.) I also wrote to Conny and copied Nule in case it had to be translated. Nule sent me a couple of pictures for now. Keep your fingers crossed that we get more information soon. Isn't it cool that we can speak with someone a world away...all brought together by the love of our animals?? Hmmm...I will be back with the pictures.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Here are the pictures Nule sent.
Attachments
STAIRLIFT2.jpg
STAIRLIFT1.jpg
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Goldenz2

Post by Goldenz2 »

What State do you live in? I was at a friends house yesterday as she was cleaning out her parents house who have since passed away. She has an electric stair lift that needs to be removed before the people she sold it to moves in.

Jeanne in NJ
Angelo & Archie