stair lift for dogs

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
MamaBear

Re: stair lift for dogs

Post by MamaBear »

Well guess I killed another thread:)
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Mama Bear!

And a belated Welcome to you. You didn't kill the thread, this is one we have been trying and trying to get an answer to since last year. I'm so sorry we missed your first post and giving you a welcome. :oops:

How much does Bear Doggy weigh? Do you two have to navigate many steps every night?
Do you use any kind of sling to help distribute the weight as you help him up and down stairs?

CarolC is the expert at handling big dog assistance in ways that protect your back. Keep watching your email because once we get an answer on the stairlift, you will be notified since you posted in this thread.

In the meantime, we hope you will stick around to share your experiences that will always help someone else and ask for help if you need it.

:welcomeblue:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

:flicker: Mama Bear.

CarolC had a heavy dog that she lifted with an engine hoist. Here are a few links to her posts.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_hoist_for_a_heavy_dog

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ist#p71059
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi,

It's not you, it's this thread. I have to agree with Christine, I had this thread bookmarked and I get email notification when anyone replies to it, but I think I've halfway given up on it, I didn't even click the last notification. :roll: If someone would manufacture this gadget, you KNOW people would buy it.

If your dog can still walk but he's just weak, may I ask what you are using to help him up the stairs? There are some slings and harnesses that might help you. I am a senior citizen and frankly I did strain my back with my dog in spite of trying to use proper body mechanics and assistive equipment and so on . Have you looked at the Hartman Harness? http://www.hartmanharness.com There are many other harnesses available, no single harness will work best for all dogs, but I got this for my dog and I really liked the handle on the back.

P.S. I used to have a chow mix, she was a sweetheart. :wub:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Hi Christine,
Think I am just paranoid about killing threads since I am on another forum (PC related) I kill a lot of threads there or so it seems:)
Bear weighs 80 lbs.
He won't go to bed when my husband does (early because of his work) since I am the "Mama Bear who needs his protection", so I am left to bring him up.
It is a full flight of stairs to the second floor.
I think a sling would be harder for me since he is heavy and I have bad wrists. I just get behind him and boost his butt up using my forearms under his back end.
He can go down the stairs alright, very slowly of course. Going up is the big problem since his hips are so weak.

I spent a lot of time online yesterday looking for something like stair lifts for dogs.
My Hubby is very mechanically inclined and I have a great imagination so if we could find a cheap used one maybe we might be able to modify it.
The chair part is the problem, if they just had a low platform it would be perfect.

Hi Diane,
I have Hubby to hoist him when he is around;)
Bear is able to do most things himself, he just cannot go up the stairs or jump up into the vehicles.
Luckily my car is quite low so I can just boost his butt in like I boost it up the stairs.

Hi CarolC,
Glad it is not me:)
It is discouraging not to be able to find what we need.
Wish Hubby had the time to work with me so we could design a stair lift for dogs.
We could be make money and then maybe I could finally get him to retire a little early.

Chows are great dogs! Bear is full Chow Chow and likes to show it, hates everyone but us.
I have a little black female, Boo, who is half Chow and she is a sweetie.
They both came from St. Francis Animal Rescue in TN.

Thanks ladies,
Will be watching for any replies.

Mama Bear aka DeWitch

There are more photos of my furkidz in areas of my website:
http://www.witchywoman333.com
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

There are wheelchair lifts for stairs that could be easily adapted for a dog- the issue is cost, though.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Bobbie wrote:There are wheelchair lifts for stairs that could be easily adapted for a dog- the issue is cost, though.
Cost is definitely an issue here:)
Aren't the wheelchair lifts more ike elevators?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

There are platform stair lifts.

http://www.savariaconcord.com/es125.htm

Such as this one.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Bobbie wrote:There are platform stair lifts.

http://www.savariaconcord.com/es125.htm

Such as this one.
Thanks,
If we were rich and lived in a huge mansion I guess that would be great - but the platform would take up the whole hallway at the bottom and the top of the stairs too.
And we are far from rich - we have to sell our home now and downgrade so that Hubby will be able to retire someday.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know how clever your husband is, but I keep thinking the way to do this is with a garage door opener, a ramp, and a box. Garage door openers ain't all that much, and you'd probably just need the base model to slide a chow up the stairs. Just build your cheapo ramp next to the wall and nail/screw a rim on the outside edge of it to keep the box from jumping off the ramp. Heck, you could even use the remote to operate it, and walk up the stairs beside the box as your dog is pulled up. You would have to anchor the garage door opener at the top of the stairs, possibly on a disposable piece of furniture if you don't want to attach it to the floor/wall. For example, put a thrift shop bookcase at the top of the stairs, fill it with encyclopedias so it won't move, and screw the garage door opener motor to the bookcase.

Later when you go to sell the house, there will be no trace of the stairlift you made because you didn't do anything to your woodwork or floor or carpet or drywall.

I'm so sure this idea would work I wanted to make a demo to post here, but my stairs are not straight up, they have a right angle turn at the bottom. :| This would work better for stairs without any turns. :)

As an alternative, I was wondering what you do at night while you are downstairs and your husband is sleeping? I'm guessing working on your website? Or maybe reading or doing paperwork or sewing? What I mean is, if it's something quiet that would not wake him up, could you possibly relocate the computer to an upstairs room? If you watch TV, can you just watch it upstairs with a set of cheap headphones? Honestly, with you boosting your big furry fellow up the stairs, it sounds like you're not at the best angle for your back...? By the way, the black dog on your webpage is incredible.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

GREAT ideas, Carol! :smart: I would suggest, though, NOT mounting the opener to a bookcase or something unless absolutely necessary, especially for a big pupper like a Chow; personally, I'd mount it super-thoroughly to a stud or 2 since overbuilding is a trademark of anything my dad or I make. :mrgreen: Holes in drywall are easily filled up with Spackle or toothpaste when no longer needed, and I'd want the assurance that the pulling mechanism was secure to the N-th degree.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

CarolC wrote:I don't know how clever your husband is, but I keep thinking the way to do this is with a garage door opener, a ramp, and a box. Garage door openers ain't all that much, and you'd probably just need the base model to slide a chow up the stairs. Just build your cheapo ramp next to the wall and nail/screw a rim on the outside edge of it to keep the box from jumping off the ramp. Heck, you could even use the remote to operate it, and walk up the stairs beside the box as your dog is pulled up.

That sounds pretty doable really:)
One problem I do foresee is that at the top of the stairs is a small & narrow hallway with a bath and a bedroom on one side and another bedroom on the other side.

Of course since they call my Hubby "positively challenged" at work since he tends to have a very negative attitude:{ he will find all kinds of reasons why it isn't.
Do not know when he became so negative - I have always believed in positive thinking.

On the night time stuff - Hubby and I are complete opposites - he is a morning person and I am a night person.
He is usually in bed by 8:30 - :0!!!
That is " the shank of the evening" to me - bedtime for me is the witching hour or later.
I would shrivel up if I had to go upstairs that early
the fridge is not that portable ha ha
and I KNOW the popcorn maker could not be kept quiet;)

Yep, night time is my time to play on the PC - do lots of email cuz have lots of groups me & DeKidz are in
love doing computer graphics and working on my photos
play games on the PC - watch a little TV when the shows I like (very few) are not reruns.
Make lunches and setup the coffeemaker for when he is up in the wee hours to get ready for work
do some cleanup that I may not have gotten done during the day
Have on occasion, when working on one of DeKidz group events, been headed to bed when he was getting up - uh oh;)

Oh you like Boo:) she is a sweetheart
I think she looks like a little black wolf with her golden eyes
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Thinking of all the negative things is fine; probably good, in fact. He just needs to come up with ways to get around all the reasons it "won't work." If he does, he might even come up with the PERFECT solution, which you'll come post to much acclaim!! :smart: :mrgreen: How's this for motivation? He could reinvent this and sell it!! Money might be just the ticket he needs. :twisted:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

The concern with any system like a garage door or winch is that the cable or chain would be exposed and dangerous. If he can figure a way to make it safe it would be a great solution... maybe some kind of box track so that the cable is underneath it?
Bobbie Mayer
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Also... not relevant to all of us who currently live in homes with stairs, but one of my goals for my retirement house is accessibility- not just for the dogs but for me, in case I end up needing it. I want the master bedroom on the main floor (which, since it will be above ground as we are in a coastal area, will be accessible by ramp or elevator.) I'm thinking of a residential elevator, which is cheaper than you think if installed initially when you build, though I really would prefer some kind of ramp access. Anyway, if you ever get the chance to design or build a house, think about leaving at least the major part of the house accessible.
Bobbie Mayer