stair lift for dogs

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
critters
Founding Member

Re: stair lift for dogs

Post by critters »

I couldn't agree more, and I'd like to do the same accessibility bit--for all of us!! :D
Christine

Post by Christine »

During this entire thread, I have had a dumb waiter in the back of my mind - an economy version of your elevator.

Last night, I went to MIT's website to see if there was contact information for the engineering department. Don't they have a competition every year for the students? This would be a win-win for them and for those needing an ingenius and inexpensive device.

Have we ever contacted the man who makes wheelchairs to get his thoughts?

My husband and I were discussing that same thing, Bobbie. The cable and works would somehow need to be encased, preferably under the ramp and out of the way. The only other thing we came up with is that the ramp would need to end on top of the next to last step so that exit would be on a flat, level surface.

We were also thinking that it might be possible to use a bicycle chain type of manual pulley system. Obviously, just brain storming without complete thoughts! Maybe if we all do this, it will trigger something that will work.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Hi all,
Lots of good suggestions here.
We really wanted a one floor house when we have to leave here but the builders are telling us that a two floor is cheaper.
I have to admit that I do feel safer sleeping on the second floor after Hubby leaves in the mornings.
Of course I cannot imagine anyone bothering me with my two BIG protectors beside my bed and my two little protectors on the bed:)
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

A dumb waiter has often been in my mind too
but no idea how to create one or where to get one
or where to PUT one in this house since we need to sell it
eureka

Post by eureka »

Hi All:

Had to chime in on this thread as I too have been tossing the whole stair lift idea around too. I went online to Cal Poly, Pomona,CA which is an aggie univ., they also have another campus in San Luis Obispo which is engineering oriented. They are the two univ. who cooperate on designing the Rose Parade floats that have all the movement and effects. I wanted to see if I could find anything or anyone to contact so that I could ask them to take on the challenge of creating a pet stair lift. I didnt contact them yet but I certainly can. I too thought who better than engineering students or agricultural students to get together and develop this. I will send an email this week to hopefully the proper person and will post back.

When we bought our home, we were convinced that we wanted 2 stories for a number of reasons. What I never thought about was aging pets. While some dogs couldn't care less about being in the same room w/their owner, obviously there are plenty of homes where "everyone and everything" goes up to bed" or up to an apt or flat. The subject of aging/disability needs to be addressed not just towards humans but must include pets. Any information available to people considering acquiring pets, pet stores, vets, adoption centers, etc. should see in writing, in posters, on TV & radio that if animals are going to be apart of the home, consideration should be given to the living environment and how it can impact an animal owner. I never thought that I would be carrying the back half of my dog upstairs everynight w/my husband carrying the front half. I also never thought that I would spend nights on an airbed, downstairs in the family room from Aug - Dec when my male Dal was in the final stages of Cauna Equina which did affect his brain. And I may shortly find myself back there again depending on my female Dal's hips, legs, and bathroom needs. Since this country has changed its approach towards animals and their care, we need to talk about the aging animal first, then breed and size and finally acquiring the puppy.

Also a thought regarding housing for our golden years, I saw a home remodel done for a couple who did need a first floor bedroom & bath but had all bedrooms on the 2nd fl. They took the formal dining room space that had a small bathroom close by and remodeled it all into a master suite including a full bathroom, handicapped outfitted. It was very attractive and the general contractor did a great job of maintaining a nice flow through the first floor. This is yet another idea to bear in mind when considering a home, the versatility of the space and this too should be a thought that comes naturally because we've heard it or seen it.

Geez, I'm turning off the light, it's 4:19 am CA time.

Eureka
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Great idea, eureka! :smart: If they think there's no need for a lift, send them to this thread. Heck, I'd send them the link anyway; it might convince them to help!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

eureka wrote:Since this country has changed its approach towards animals and their care, we need to talk about the aging animal first, then breed and size and finally acquiring the puppy.
This needs to be an actual movement. Consciousness raising.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

eureka wrote:Hi All:
I never thought that I would be carrying the back half of my dog upstairs every night w/my husband carrying the front half. I also never thought that I would spend nights on an airbed, downstairs in the family room Eureka
Hi there,
I too have spent many months sleeping on the futon in the den (former dining room open to the kitchen and also the front hall) when Bear had his two separate hip surgeries and when Boo had two separate knee repair surgeries.
Boo would quietly (but not happily) stay downstairs if we blocked the stairway on her.
But Bear truly is Mama's boy since he will cry at the bottom of the stairs until we come get him if one of us does not bring him up.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

FYI--Bruno now has battery-powered human lifts. http://www.bruno.com/bruno-stairlifts.html I don't know how they're charged, though. Wonder if a door opener could run on a battery?
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I guess this never went anywhere
too bad
My poor Bear is getting worse
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

There is no stair lift readily available but there IS a new lifting harness.
http://www.ruffwear.com/DoubleBack-Harness

It is designed for lifting a dog for search and rescue (while climbing, for example) but should help with lifting a dog up stairs.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Thanks but that looks like it would be more work than boosting his 80 lb. butt up the stairs from behind like I do every night now.
Don't think I would have enough strength to pick him up by a strap and haul him up them since I have a wee bit of arthritis myself.
illusha

Post by illusha »

I've been asked in another thread to visit this topic and post some ideas. I took some photos of the manual stair lifts that we have in my work building for emergencies. Not sure how easy these are to operate. Look very similar to the stair lifts we’ve used for moving speaker cabinets. I just did a quick google search for “manual stair lift” and found a bunch of products, including a lift that’s similar to what’s in my photos, it is described at http://max-ability.com/stair-trac-wheelchair-stair-lift and there are many more models out there. Some are quite spendy. There are also some unique wheelchairs with multiple wheels. But the same concept could be applied to build something DIY for much cheaper at home. I would have to put my thinking hat on to figure out how to assist a single caregiver using such a lift to move a person UP the stairs. Going down is easy. It’s going up that takes skill, muscle, and improvisation in addition to luck and common sense. You may also find some useful info in this blog: http://wheelchairstairclimbing.blogspot.com/
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
illusha

Post by illusha »

moar pix...
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg