stair lift for dogs

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Dianne

Re: stair lift for dogs

Post by Dianne »

Chris, Thank you so much for keeping in contact with Henry's family. We look forward to them joining us, soon.

I tried to enlarge the photos a bit. They are grainy when enlarged, but you can see Henry a bit better. I hope you don't mind. Anyone else want to try enlarging them? D
Attachments
STAIRLIFT1.jpg
STAIRLIFT2.jpg
Christine

Post by Christine »

To goldenz: I emailed starchick about your information, so hopefully she will get back with us as I am sure time is of the essence here. Thanks for that information!

And Dianne: Thanks for re-sizing the pictures. We still need to see more about the motor set up, hopefully soon.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Look at him smiling! He looks like he's having fun! I think he's joyriding! :P
Christine

Post by Christine »

I have never thought bulldogs were particularly cute (sorry!), but Henry and the one at the top of our home page are just adorable! I am converted!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

News from Conny

Post by Christine »

I just received this answer to my latest email from Conny. She sounds like a busy lady, but don't think it will be much longer now...

Hello Christine,

sorry, that I didn't answer to you untill today, but i 'm so bussy this time, we have so mutch to work in our stable with the horses from 6 clock in the morning till 22 clock in the evening. We have 2 great events 1 at 17. may. than a lot of visitors came to see our stable and 25 may is showtime fir mybulldogs 600 kms far away from us. After this two events I will start with the building construction and making some new photos with low pixels to send them to you.
I hope you can understand my english, I learned it an scool, but 30 years before and I didn't speak often english, only sometimes when a canadian trainer cames into our stable.
But I now a person who was born in germany and now lives in the USA she will help me with the translation.

So long, many greetings from Germany, from Henry, Jette, Conny and Bernhard

My last one to her:

Dear Conny,

How are you and how is Henry? We, at Handicapped Pets were wondering if you had been able to put together the information on the Henry Stairlift yet? This very wonderful aide would make so much easier for many of our handicapped pets both here in the States as well as other parts of the world. (Our website has readers and contributors from all over the world!)

I am sending a copy of this to Nule in case you need a translation. I regret to say that even though I was born in Munich to a German mother, I never learned the language or I would be sending this in German.

Please do not feel that we need anything extravagant or complicated. A simple drawing would be sufficient. We have some pretty handy people (most of them ladies!) who have built wheelchairs and carts for their pets. We can always write you back if we have any questions.

Conny, we would appreciate anything you could do to help us. Hugs to you and to Henry!

Christine Hubal
www.handicappedpets.com
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Christine,

Did you ever get any more information on this? I may need something like this some day.
Christine

Post by Christine »

I have not heard anymore from Conny, but hopefully she is recuperating from all of the events of May and we will soon hear from her. I noticed that we have a new person with a older poodle who would really benefit from a stairlift too.

I will write again in a couple of weeks to see how things are coming along and especially to remind her that she does not have to be concerned about the quality of drawings, etc. as long as we have measurements, the type of motor and some general instructions to go with the pictures.

I will keep you posted.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
gkaucher

Post by gkaucher »

I have a friend that lives in NJ, and would like to try modifying a stair lift for her dog. I realize it has been awhile, but if the stairlift that was reported by Goldenz2 as being available in NJ is still available, please contact me.

Thanks,
Gary
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Gary,

The stairlift was no longer available a few days after the other person contacted them. Perhaps you might contact the family who created the Henry Stairlift as it sounds as though you are into the construction end of it. Maybe communicating with them from that viewpoint would enable them to give us the plan and you as well. If you read the thread, they are concerned about the translation aspect.

And, by the way...

:group:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
jessillec

Post by jessillec »

Christine,

Did you ever get the construction instructions?? I have a bulldog and this would come in really handy!!! Please let me know!!!

Thanks

Jessi
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Jesse,

I have not yet heard back from Conny. I have contacted them several times directly and indirectly through a friend with no response to date. Perhaps, if you send henryjette a pm, as another bulldog owner, they might respond to you. (Go back to the first page of this subject and click on their username. It will give you their email.) If you are able to get any information, we would so appreciate your sharing it with us. Thanks,

Christine
?/1999 - 10/25/08
jessillec

Post by jessillec »

Christine,

I have contacted them I hope to get an answer soon I will keep you posted!!

Jessi
eric-sli

Post by eric-sli »

Interesting idea!

People stair lifts are a bit over priced for dogs, in the $1,000-$4,000 range. Another option is something like an evacu-track or an evac+chair. Both are designed to evacuate people out of buildings but you could easily use both to assist with transporting a dog up and down stairs. The only draw back is that they are human powered.

More info on the EVACU-TRACK: http://www.evacutrac.com
More info on the EVAC+CHAIR: http://www.evac-chair.com/
More info on stair lifts: http://stairlift-info.net
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi eric-sli,

Thanks for the information because I was not familiar with these devices. From what I can see, the evacuation chairs are excellent but they will be easier to use going down the stairs than up, am I right? However they might give someone an idea on how to do wheels for a DIY stair lift. I looked at your website as well, especially the advice about cheap stairlifts. People here are often interested in ways to do things on a budget. Since this is your area of interest, if you ever see anything else that might help people here, I hope you will come back and post again. You've already posted some interesting stuff I imagine most of us have never seen.
:thankyou:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

If you ever get the instructions for this I would really like to have them.
I have a 9 year-old Chow Chow, Bear Doggy.
He has always been disabled to some extent since he had hip dysplasia plus one bad front elbow.
He has had FHO surgery on his hips - it took away most of his pain but left him very weak.
I have always had to help him up the stairs to bed at night.
He is older and weaker now and so am I;)