Queries about wheelchair for my 15 year old Collie

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
zespidy

Queries about wheelchair for my 15 year old Collie

Post by zespidy »

Hi, i have a 15 year old collie who has recently had difficulty walking with his hind legs and had to depend on steroids, however he doesnt seem to be able to walk very steadily. Hence i was seeking to make a wheelchair for him, but my only concern is, will the wheel chair be attached to him permanently or do i have to put it on only when out on stroll? Right now, due to his weak hind legs he is always lying down and wetting himself all over, so im afraid if these goes on one side of him my start to rot, but if i attach the wheelchair to him permanently, how is he going to lie down to rest or even squat to take a dump? Hope someone can help me out on this, so that i can go ahead with the plans of making the wheelchair.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

:welcome: We're glad that you found us.

Did the vet diagnose the problem and tell you why your collie's back is injured?

Normally, a dog with a bad back will be given steroids and told to crate rest. If it is a disk injury the spine can rest and possibly heal. A 15 year old could have other spinal/hip issues, too. Aging brings a variety of challenges.

A collie usually lives about 13 years; so you are two years beyond most in the breed.

Normally, after 6 to 8 weeks of crate resting a dog that didn't recover could be put into a wheel chair.

You could build your own wheelchair. I built one for our doxie. A dog will be in the wheel chair for short periods of time, less than 2 hours, and can eliminate while in the chair. Since your dog is very elderly, he would be in the chair, only while supervised, for very short periods of time.

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... php?t=8161

Look at some of these links to read about slings to support his rear end to walk outside to eliminate, or to wrap his middle as a belly band to catch leaking urine. It is called a male wrap.

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... hp?t=10626

Male Wrap: https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

You seem like a loving pet owner, and we wish you the best.

Dianne
Last edited by Dianne on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: With such an elderly pupper, I think I'd consider a quad (4-wheeled) cart for all-over support. He probably has joint arthritis or other conditions in addition, so a quad would cover all the bases.
zespidy

Post by zespidy »

Thanks for all the replies, well the vet didnt say there is any serious problems with his hips or bones, just state that it is probably due to old age that his hind legs muscles are weakening, hence the steroids is to help boost the muscular growth for his legs. In fact the vet told us that its a miracle for my dog to actually be living for so long, i am pretty prepared that anything might happen to him anytime considering his age, but in the mean time im just hoping to make him feel better.

I noticed he seem to whine a lot(even at night), so im not sure if he is in some kinda pain or discomfort, main problem is that he doesnt want or has got no strength to stand up and will pee all over himself while lying down, so i was thinking if the wheelchair could help lift him up and make him feel better so he wouldnt be lying in his pee and result in rotting of the flesh and attracting flies. Hence my concern about how is he going to be resting down if he is attached to his wheelchair, since its quite impossible to always be there to know when he is going to take a leak.

Oh and one more thing, since his hind legs are not completely disable, just weak, i was looking into a wheelchair that does more of supporting his body and at the same time still allow him to exercise his hind legs.

P.S. He is currently on glucosamine to help his bones
SandyNY

whining, peeing, steroids

Post by SandyNY »

:red:
You do know that while on the steroids, she will have more urinary accidents, right? this is not that she is getting "wrose". Steroids do that. did she pee on herself lying down before the steroids? Did you mention to the vet that she is whining so much and not getting up to pee? Did the vet suggest any pain medication? Even ascriptin or dog aspirin? If not, please consider calling back and asking as the whining could be an indicator of pain. Sometimes older dogs loose some bladder control.Also, some older dogs legs "lock up" when they lay down and it is more painful to get up. The steroids are given to relieve some of the discomfort by reducing swelling. unfortunately, the side effect most readily seen id the urinary incontinence and they do damage to kidneys but i think short term you are probably ok. You may also want to onsider giving her cosequin or an equivalent - usually don;t see results overnight but within a few weeks.
Another thing to keep in mind is some dogs whine when they get elderly due to an alzheimers like situation. if you are finding her confused - stuck under the table she never went under before; then this could be attributing to her whine also. If she is afraid of being scolded for urinating in her bed, that can lead to whining.no offense- most people do speak disapprovingly to a dog who has pottied in the house.
Hope she is feeling better soon !
SandyNY

sorry

Post by SandyNY »

didn't mean to call your boy a "she"
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

zespidy wrote: hence the steroids is to help boost the muscular growth for his legs.
I'm wondering if you're talking about anabolic steroids in this case, rather than corticosteroids like pred? What's the name of the stuff?
zespidy

Post by zespidy »

Ah that might have explained why he peed on himself while lying down, well he didnt used to do that till the time when he starts to show weakness on his hind legs and hence needing the steroids. The steroids might cause the increase in urine flow, but it doesnt really explain why he doesnt want to get up to relieve himself.

I forgot to add that he had a case of swollen testicles and had to get his testicles removed, we suspect his condition worsen after the surgery since it is never good to put an elderly animal or even human being under surgery.

The vet, like most vets, said that maybe we should put him to sleep when we told him about the whining, and claim that its because he is old. He has got no major heath problems, infact he is perfectly healthy other than his weak hind legs, and i noticed its weaker on the right hind legs.

He has very pure vision now and has the tendency of wanting to bite if i touch his legs, on top of that, he seem to have forgotten the people around him and may sometimes threaten to bite.

So does this mean that there is actually no solution to stop him from whining?

Im not sure if this is possible, but im having the thought of letting him use a diaper to solve his urinary problems.

Honestly, sometimes it feels like im taking care of my late grandmother, whom seem to have such symptoms such as uncontrollable bladder, forgetfulness and the whining.

I will still go about to make the wheelchair for him, but im not sure how to solve the whining problem especially at night, cause his constant whining is affecting the neighbours (ive already received a complain letter from one of my neighbours :P)
zespidy

Post by zespidy »

Oh critters, its anabolic steroids that the vet gave him, to help to boost his muscle growth. Im not sure if its good to depend on it on a long term basis, cuz right now he seems to need a jab every 3 months to help him walk. Im kinda like a gym rat, hence i know about the side effects of steroids. Im not even sure if im doing the right thing of prolonging his life like that, or is it better to let him go like the vet suggested and release him from these sufferings, but i cant bear to do that, i believe in the nature way of doing things and not about having the decision to let someone live or die.