Maggie joins the ranks of "fluid kitties"

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Maggie joins the ranks of "fluid kitties"

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Maggie is the cat we took in when she was 16, she will be 18 in november.
She has started becoming dehydrated on a regular basis and needing fluids. She is cooperative about them, because mom gives her lots of scritches at the same time.

She has very advanced arthritis in her front feet, she essentially walks on her ankles and her toes point up. Mom is trying to figure out a way to brace them, that will stay on. Seh gets metacam and this helps a LOT.

We've decided that the couch Maggie spends most of her tiem on, and pees on, will just get thrown away, as will the comforter that is on it.

She is still a sweet girl, hopefully the fluids will keep her going.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
CarolC

Re: Maggie joins the ranks of "fluid kitties"

Post by CarolC »

Betsy has been on fluids 2x/day since April 2006. She knows she feels better with them and rubs me with her chin while getting her "squirt". We are warming some now. Yes, that is a cheese grater, it works. :mrgreen:
Sofas are highly overrated, the world is full of sofas. The world is not full of Maggiecats. :wub: If it is a 3-cushion sofa you might be able to remove one and set a litterbox in the hole and maybe she would actually like that. Maybe she likes the litterbox, she just doesn't like jumping down off the sofa to go to it?
LRS_500.JPG
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Carol,

How does the cheese grater help when warming the fluids? :? Is it a weight to hold the fluids in the water?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It's like a support? When I fill the cooler with warm water and put the bag in, the bag wants to slip down into the water. I don't want to get water on the little rubber port you see near the top...? So I prop the bag up with the cheese grater, just because that was what I had on hand when I started and it fit. The prickly points on the grater don't bother the bag. Before I give the fluids I swab the port with sterile gauze and iodine, but I still don't want tap water on it. How do I know it won't contaminate the port, especially when it has already been poked full of holes several times? It gets poked full of holes because I administer fluids with a large syringe, not an admin set, because it is faster and I have to do it on the lunch hour as well as in the evening. :)