This is driving me nuts--air quality from barking

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
CarolC

This is driving me nuts--air quality from barking

Post by CarolC »

In the Golden w/possible DM thread Jeanne wrote:He barks ALOT...ALOT ALOT due to boredom/frustration/wanting attention during the day and dementia at night. We make sure that every need is taken care of.
I didn't want to post this in Jeanne's thread as it is too negative. Jeanne, my golden retriever is the same age and sounds exactly like yours point by point right down the line, though the vet hasn't said anything about DM, just a lot of spinal arthritis. He is bladder incontinent and wears a male wrap--problem solved. He is bowel incontinent and we watch stool quality and keep him in the 3 rooms in the back of the house--problem solved. But the barking--I don't know what to do. When he first went down he barked loudly, now he is not so loud so the noise actually does not get on my nerves for the most part. But the air quality is really honestly grossing me out and wearing on me. He does not have especially bad breath. If you were around him and talked to him and petted him you would not notice his breath at all. He has some tartar but I don't think he can have a dental because of age and kidney trouble. Maybe I should ask. I don't think the bad breath is coming from his teeth or mouth per se, it seems more like it is from his lungs and throat and stomach while breathing? All that pant-pant-pant-bark-bark-bark, yeah ALOT ALOT ALOT, it doesn't take him long to foul the air in the room. I open the window and there goes the air conditioning or heating but it smells better. When he isn't barking nonstop the air is fine. We all have to breathe that air, it's gross! :( :( :( :( :( :? It's like an old grandpa, what do you do for old grandpa stomach breath...?

Can't stop the barking. His pad is dry, his bed is clean, he is turned or helped to his feet. Often he barks because he smells food somewhere in the house and wants to go find it and he can't...well, his bed is in the family room off the kitchen, there are going to be food odors, and I feed most of the pets in that part of the house, too, it's unavoidable. He barks with a half smile on his face, not focusing on anything. I tried tryptophan, not sure it really had much of an effect. The vet receptionist said give him 2 Benadryl twice a day, but I hate to just dope my dog? If I'm going to do that, I'd rather have a prescription for something like clomicalm or acepromazine or something, but he has kidney trouble so I'd rather not, and the idea is to do something for his benefit, not mine. I don't know. Even just hearing that someone else is putting up with the smelly rebreathed air problem would cheer me up. :| What about one of those machines that purify the air, do they really work?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: This is driving me nuts--air quality from barking

Post by Bobbie »

I had to chuckle, but the same problem here, only ours comes from Teddy the puppy mill rescue being an inveterate food recycler.

I don't have any suggestions except maybe try a chlorophyll tab or something else touted to make breath better? Or put a gentle fan near the bed so it wafts scents away from you. Or minty dog biscuit or something like that.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, I am the Queen of the Stink and all bow their heads in stunned honor. No, make that Stunned Horror.
I have scented stuff all OVER the house. The SAND scent from Yankee Candle is unbelievable! And here's an insiders tip: Buy Febreeze ... I'll be splitting 3 on 1 any day now.
As far as barking goes, as you know, Possum barked 24/7 a very sharp bark that hurt the ears of those of us who can actually hear. In fact, in August, I had asked doc about severing her vocal chords because she was deaf and coldn't hear it anyway. Doc was HORRIFIED and said I'd never find any one to do it, because it constitutes cruelty. Even if Possum's life depended on it, she wouldn't do it. Here's an article Chris found on excessive barking:

http://www.purina.co.nz/Home/All+About+ ... o+Much.htm
Also:
Fill a kong with peanut butter. A lot of peanut butter. That'll keep a treat motivated pup quiet for awhile.
A big indestructible chewie that you have basted in all that leftover turkey broth, after you boiled that durn turkey down 2 days after Thanksgiving. (My dogs have enough turkey & broth to last til the new year).
Diversion seems to be the best method. Can you record your voice, speaking softly, and at night when you are trying to sleep, play the recording, looped, so pup listens to the sound of you voice.
And yes, Bobbie, I have recyclers here as well. Stinky recyclers. They turn perfectly good dog chow and turkey into stinkies.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Bobbie wrote:I had to chuckle, but the same problem here, only ours comes from Teddy the puppy mill rescue being an inveterate food recycler.
What a nice way to put it!! :mrgreen:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Well, I'm happy to report this problem is largely solved. I've been home enough during the holidays to really find out. It seems to have been his stomach. He has a sour stomach like old gentlemen sometimes do, and if I give him a Pepcid twice a day, he is quiet, and his breath is noticeably better. I am sorry to think that all these weeks he's been dyspeptic and I could have done something. Imagine having an acid stomach for 2 months and no antacids being offered. Darn! But I'm glad we've figured it out now.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Wow! He is a lovely old gentleman, isn't he! WE WANT MORE PICS!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh, if only they could talk!! And they think, "if only they would listen!" Glad this was an easy fix. What a good boy you have.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Goldenz2

Post by Goldenz2 »

Hi Carol,

I'm glad that you got the problem mostly solved :)

Jeanne in NJ
Goldens, Angelo & Archie
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first thread. It interested me because I had a similar situation. My 14 year old Belgian Malinois had begun panting all night long-keeping us awake and driving me mad. When I spoke to the vet about it he suggested we give half a Zantac 75 in the evenings and see if that helped. Problem solved!
Like the other poster, vet said they can get a sour stomach especially if taking other medications and panting and barking is their way of trying to releive the discomfort. Our Mal has been on Rymadil for arthritis and hip displasia.
I hope this helps, both you and your pal.
Kelley
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks! :D