Poohbear has lump on her chest

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Poohbear has lump on her chest

Post by critters »

How about amputation? Osteosarcoma isn't uncommon, and tripods usually do great.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Give Poohbear a hug for me. The wonderful news is that there is no mass. Take a look at Xena blog about their journey with the same thing. She just posted a note after three years of Xena doing very well. Tessa and Xena have let us join them in that journey and it is filled with hope and happiness. Sending prayers to you and Poohbear.

http://www.xanga.com/tessagirrl
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Unfortunately, it was because we found a lump on her chest that we ended up finding the oseo in her wrist. The cancer is advanced in her wristbone. The smaller wristbone has now fractured. Its only a matter of time now. We did'nt catch the cancer in time. Very likely the cancer was already spreading when we found it.

I now have her on essiac formula now to help keep her comfortable. Everyone I've talked to has told me that once the cancer starts spreading, its only a matter of time. I will be trying to spend some quality time with her while I can. If I can get a miracle, this would the time to get it. At this time, I'm definitely not ready to lose her. We were just startoing to get her hip dysplasia under some control(able to go on long hikes) and this happens. I hate being a member of the cancer club.
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Well, we spent the weekend doing the stuff she loves most - tracking and doing search and rescue exercizes. I'm often worrying that she might break her leg with the running and stuff. But the vet told me that the leg could break even when she's simply walking. I'm on the hunt for Avemar and artemisinin. If anyone knows where I can get this stuff in Canada, please let me know.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Don't know if this is any help or not but www.organicpharmacy.org sells artemisinin and ships worldwide.

www.antiagingmeds.com sells avemar and also ships to most countries. This is what they said about shipping to Canada:

Canada Drugs and medicines must comply with Canadian law. Import permit from health ministry is required if medication is not for personal use. Import of medicine for personal use is limited to 100 counts of each item per shipment. Prescription is not required, however name of prescribing doctor and pharmacy must be on medication label. Non-prescription drugs should be limited to 5 pieces of each item.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Hi all.

I found the artemisinin at a specialty pharmacy in town. Yes! I'm just hoping that its not too late to make a difference. Osteosarcoma is extremely agressive. Here's hoping for a miracle for Poohbear. We've also enlisted Shark liver oil as well. Just hope I don't overload her system.
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Well, its off to the vet again. This time a wholistic vet. Maybe they might have some ideas. The artemisinin seems to be quite weird stuff. No one seems to know what the dosage should be. We've started on the higher side to get more into her system. fingers and paws crossed.
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Hi all.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to send any updates. Poohbear got to see a holistic vet who now has her on a cancer protocol. YEa! Even though she's been in good spirits, yesterday supper was the last good meal she had. That's bad news. Without the nutrition from eating, she doesn't have much time left. I'm hoping that its only the turkey. We are switching back to tripe tomorrow and we will see how that goes. If she still will not eat, its time to see the vet again to see if we can stimulate her appetite. Sighs...

We will keep in touch with what happens.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Prayers for sweet Poohbear and you too.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Ohhh.... This journey of love we are on. My heart and soul are with you and poohbear.... let us know how her new treatments go ....
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

:P Looks like it was just a off day for her. She did eat some treats and a nice sized raw bone so those were good indications. Yesterday was turkey day. Guess she didn't like turkey for whatever reason.

Poohbear ate heartily today. Hopefully, this will be the case for a long time yet. Hope all the other furkids are doing well.

You don't know you are holding your breath until you sigh in relief!
GREAT DAY!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

Well, we're still struggling with the food issue. Today, she only ate maybe a 1/4 of what she should be eating. Need to find a way to give her the nutrition she needs and the supplements she needs too. I've noticed she's been burping after she eats. Maybe the problem is that something in the food is giving her gas in the tummy and upsetting it?
grizzleybear

Post by grizzleybear »

We had Poohbear at the vet on saturday. The results were sad. She gained a couple of pounds but her lungs are being badly affected. When we listened to her breathing, we found the right lung not operating, left lung not quite 100%. Saturday saw her do some wonderful performances in search and rescue exercises. Today, she did a wonderfully executed track. Her swan song was great considering her lack of breath. I'm so proud of her this weekend.

We visited some old friends today. It was really great to see them even though it was under less than happy circumstances. Because of Pooh's failing lungs, We felt that it was in her best interests to be allowed to go to the spirit world. Otherwise, she would likely die of lung failure. I'm praying that she does not die that way.

She's tired now. Considering the activities she did, I'm not surprised. It was scary when she stumbled and collapsed tonight. Thought I would lose her this evening. Hope she's still here in the morning.

Oh, I am so sorry for these steps you are taking. I was talking to my friend on Saturday, and we had both wished ours had died on their own, at home, but that didn't happen. My dear old dad was found dead in his rocking chair. As the coroner couldn't put a name on cause, he used the words which will stick with me forever. "He just wound down" We will all wind down, if we are lucky enough, and as Poohbear winds down, give her all of our love, hugs ,and songs of joy for a life well-lived.
I understand you want some dignity and certainty of comfort in her passing, as did I. We are right here with you on your journey.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!