My cat is 25 years old now.....

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
sandyc799

My cat is 25 years old now.....

Post by sandyc799 »

her name is Tricks.She showed up as a kitten one long ago summer day.
She's doing fairly well,given her age and such.My questions are not getting the greatest answers from the vets around here.I thought I would ask you folks.
Believe it or not,she can still eat dry catfood.Even though her teeth are horrible.She cannot be put under for a dental,they tried that 7 or 8 years ago,and I almost lost her then.
I get the pate' cat food,and mix with water and heat abit in the microwave.Stirring with my finger,so there are NO hotspots.She really slurps this up!She eats,but is sooo very thin!Is there anything that can help put some weight on her?
She seems like a skelton covered with fur.It's so frightening,to know I will lose her someday.I've had her about half my life! I try to live day to day with her,but this has been going on for many many years.I believe she was about 14 when my vet said she proabably wouldn't be around much longer.Most people freak out,when I tell them her age.She IS NOT in pain,just abit demented.She USUALLY finds the catbox.
She does tend to cry ALOT!I think she is just confused and wonders where I am.Can be at any time of the day and night.
I just get up and comfort her,she will usually then go back to sleep.Sleeping is what she does best!
She's on her table in my dining room.She has 2 comfy beds,and her food and water bowls and her catbox.She can no longer get up and down off the table and I fear sometime that she falls off,she may get injured.Should I risk confusing her and get some kind of cage to keep her safe in?
My old dog loves her,would never hurt her,but he does bark at her in confusion,if she is on the floor,instead of her table. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.I love Tricks so very much and want her remaining days to be as happy and comfortable,as possible.
Oh,and I named her Tricks cause even at her age,she does do a couple tricks.Plus she is orange,black and white.Kind of halloween colors.
critters
Founding Member

Re: My cat is 25 years old now.....

Post by critters »

I have an ancient pussycat too, but I don't think she's THAT old. Wow!!! :shock:

MamaCat, too, is pretty bony despite all, like most very old humans. Just keep what weight you can on her, and continue your nuked food trick. I think I'd try a little more, or a little more often, to try to get a little more in her. Once in awhile MamaCat won't want a meal (a HIGHLY unusual event before), which scares me to death and makes me glad I packed it in on a good day!

I really don't think I'd cage or crate her at that age; while it would keep her safe, it's not her life, and it would probably confuse and upset her more.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My son's cat lived to be more than 20 as well. When she went into failure at age 18, I smeared food on her, and some hints from this very board suggested baby food, which she did consume. She was sub-qued 2x a day as well. Starr was a skeleton as well. I agree with critters. When Starr came back to my house, it was torment, because she couldn't jump to get away from all my dogs. You don't have that problem, so I agree, let her roam, maybe close off a few rooms if she gets lost. One thing I did for my blind puppy was bell myself. She would sit in a room by herself and howl because she couldn't find me and the rest of the pack. I would ring the bell, and she could find me. You can bell train your kitty, sitting right in front of her, ring bell, smidge of pate', ring bell, yummies. She will very quickly associate the bell with you and rewards. How is her vision, btw. Can you do the cotton ball test? Drop a cotton ball a few feet from her nose and see if she follows it? Do what the pediatricians do with our do with our kids, put your finger far to the left and draw it around her head and see if she follows it? Sometimes blindness isn't completely apparent in our older pets, because they lose it gradually and acclimate. WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

:confetti: I've got a 17/18 year old that also vocalizes a lot, too. Part of it was the death of his littermate last year, and part is aging.

Loss of appetite could be part of your calico's senility/disfunction.

cognitive disfunction syndrome : http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 4fbe210b39

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/CDS.html
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Wow what a beautiful age!
I know nothing about cats, but in my dogs last year ( he was 14) he started losing weight as well and he still ate a lot.
My vet told me that is normal in seniors, they get less excercise and start to lose muscle mass.
The confusion ; "staring at a chair for instance, he started doing that as well, I Googled that and was explained as some sort of dementia.
I assume it's common in older dogs? UNless someone here has another opinion on that?
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

sandyc799 wrote:her name is Tricks.She showed up as a kitten one long ago summer day.
She's doing fairly well,given her age and such.My questions are not getting the greatest answers from the vets around here.I thought I would ask you folks.
Believe it or not,she can still eat dry catfood.Even though her teeth are horrible.She cannot be put under for a dental,they tried that 7 or 8 years ago,and I almost lost her then.

My toothless senior cat still enjoys dry food, she swallows it whole if it is not too big or pointy.
I have had one case where the vet pulled a tooth on a cat without anaesthesia and it went OK, please consider this possibility if there is a problem tooth, it is better than bacteria infecting the heart. Your vet can identify a loose tooth by wiggling her teeth while she is awake.

I get the pate' cat food,and mix with water and heat abit in the microwave.Stirring with my finger,so there are NO hotspots.She really slurps this up!She eats,but is sooo very thin!Is there anything that can help put some weight on her?
She seems like a skelton covered with fur.It's so frightening,to know I will lose her someday.I've had her about half my life! I try to live day to day with her,but this has been going on for many many years.I believe she was about 14 when my vet said she proabably wouldn't be around much longer.Most people freak out,when I tell them her age.She IS NOT in pain,just abit demented.She USUALLY finds the catbox.

I keep a disposable incontinence pad under the litterbox. It gives a margin for error. You can buy them in the adult diapers aisle of Walgreens or Wal-Mart, it will say "Underpads" on the package.

She does tend to cry ALOT!I think she is just confused and wonders where I am.Can be at any time of the day and night.
I just get up and comfort her,she will usually then go back to sleep.Sleeping is what she does best!

My senior cat has done this for years partly due to hearing loss. She yowls for a minute or two then stops, can be day or night.

She's on her table in my dining room.She has 2 comfy beds,and her food and water bowls and her catbox.She can no longer get up and down off the table and I fear sometime that she falls off,she may get injured.Should I risk confusing her and get some kind of cage to keep her safe in?

I would not cage her but you may want to think about giving her a bedroom, preferably one with a sunny spot on the floor. My senior cat used to get on the kitchen counter and slip off the edge the last weeks of his life. I pulled the kitchen drawers out and laid a 6" wide board on them so when he slipped he landed on the board, it worked. This does not help with your table, maybe you can think of some kind of ledge or safety net or even bean bags.

My old dog loves her,would never hurt her,but he does bark at her in confusion,if she is on the floor,instead of her table. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.I love Tricks so very much and want her remaining days to be as happy and comfortable,as possible.

As for the weight loss I would rule out hyperthyroidism if you have not done so yet. However, if she is not hyperthyroid, I would not worry about it too much. Extra weight will put extra load on her heart and extra stress on her joints. The single best thing I can think to do to make her comfortable would be to talk to your vet about administering sub-q fluids. I have a senior cat I never thought would still be with me. She gets 75 ml sub-q fluids twice a day. I do not use the hang bag and admin set, I warm the fluids and give them with a syringe (details if you ask). She LIKES her fluids, she knows they make her feel better. An old kitty has lower functioning kidneys and may be easily dehydrated (older humans the same) and dehydration can be like a bad headache. My cat holds still for the fluids because she's smart and she knows they help.

My cat also likes a heating pad with a cotton cover, set on low, we have never had a problem with it. I unplug it if leaving the house.

Oh,and I named her Tricks cause even at her age,she does do a couple tricks.Plus she is orange,black and white.Kind of halloween colors.
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Thanks all! I appreciate all the helpful advice.I will try anything that could help her.
The first vet that I USED to take her too,wanted to put her to sleep becuase of her age!I said,you agreed with me she's not in any pain, and we didn't have our Grandma put to sleep,just cause she got old,your not touching my cat again!
I NEVER have been back there.The vets I use now are nice,but they don't seem to have alot of
"old cat" experience,I guess.
One thing that really confuses me,is Tricks will NOT get on anything that is warmed.I tried a snuggle disc,a heating pad,a warm towel,she HATES them.Why wouldn't she want to be warmer?Right now,it's cold in kansas,but that is to change again,soon.Thank gooodness.
She has been known to snuggle with my old dog once in awhile.When he (Quint)is to tired to get upset about sleeping with a cat.I would think she would be cold,but she does have quite unusually(to me,anyway)LONG fur.Maybe she doesn't feel as cold as I would,I guess.
I have been on here awhile back.I have Bandit, a boston,that was born with C/H.He is doing quite well.He'll be 2 years old,April 1st.Got ALOT of great advice then too!Thanks again.I LOVE this place.
sandyc and kids
P.S.I'm NOT crazy,but I do have quite a few dogs,cats and birds.It just happens when you rescue.Some are becoming quite elderly,as is Tricks.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

sandyc799 wrote: One thing that really confuses me,is Tricks will NOT get on anything that is warmed.I tried a snuggle disc,a heating pad,a warm towel,she HATES them.Why wouldn't she want to be warmer?Right now,it's cold in kansas
Huh, I have no idea. I bought a Snuggle Safe disc for my dog to put in her crate when I take her to PT and when I put it under her towel and put her in the crate with it, she tried to dig to China to see WHAT that offending object was, and needless to say I ended up taking it back to the store. I'm surprised your cat doesn't like the towel or heating pad. I have a Japanese floor lamp and I've had 2 cats that loved to be next to that, it is just barely warm and gives a calm peaceful light. Well, good to know she's not freezing. :)
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

First of all, I think it is wonderful that you are willing to go the extra mile for your (very) old girl.

As for the cold, what about a little sweater? Would she tolerate that do you think? I have tried it myself with some dying cats who are very skinny and I never had much success but it might be worth a shot.

Lisa.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Have you tried putting a towel or a blankie in the dryer and snuggling her with it wrapped around her? I did that with Bailey and now take one out to Penny, our newest family member who sleeps in a doghouse on the porch.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Christine , did you reecntly adopt another one , I thought you had one already?

It's awfully lonely without a pet..................
Still miss mine so much.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Penny is the same little girl who showed up on July 4th last year, 3 and a half months before Bailey left us. I would say she knew she had a big job to do when she came to us and she works very hard to honor our Bailey girl. This is her on Christmas Day in her doghouse with all of Bailey's blankies.
Attachments
Penny at Christmas.jpg
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Tricks won't accept a warm towel.It's weird.The weather we are having lately,has me confused too.Kansas!It's warm today,but colder at night.I'm keeping her as warm as I can,all the time.
I just think it's abit odd,that even when it's abit chilly,she will get out of the catbed that has a warm towel,and protest!She then gets in the other catbed!WEIRD!
I just love her so very much.
I continue to tell myself,she COULD go anyday,but I've been saying this for years,now.
People give me the credit,I didn't do anything special,really.Just gave her her basic needs and love.The latter,I believe is VERY important.She still wants to cuddle with me,but I try not to pick her up,just pet her.She is so skinny,I think it pains her,if I pick her up and put pressure on her old bones.
Thanks again,for any suggestions.I just want her to be happy and comfortable.
sandyc
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sandy,

I had one kitty who was so skinny and boney, it seemed the only place that was safe to pet was the top of his head. Everyplace else I was either bumping over vertebra or colliding with protruding hip bones, etc. I got a little super soft hair brush for babies and found I could brush-brush-brush without the problem of those bones. Don't know if this would work for your kitty, mine was shorthaired. The best baby brush is the kind with a handle designed for an adult hand and bristles designed for the baby's hair. More baby brushes are designed for the kids to use, the "adult" style is harder to find.

You have not said how your cat is grooming. She must be grooming OK? That's awfully nice. :)

Have you tried Science Diet a/d? Don't know, it may be too rich for her system and too high-protein and high-salt for her old kidneys, you might ask the vet. It high calorie and pureed so you can even syringe feed it if desired.

Also, have you tried Nutrical? It is a vitamin and calorie supplement. It comes in a tube, you squeeze an inch-long ribbon onto your finger and let her lick it off. Most cats will go for it, you might ask your vet about that, too. :)
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Tricks has NOT groomed herself in years really.She kinda goes lick,lick,nap time!
I do brush her,VERY gently.She LOVES being brushed,but only when she wants to be.Her fur is EXTRA long,too.
When she says stop,she means STOP!
Every onece in awhile,she seems confused as to where her catbox is,(I NEVER move it,except to clean it of course) and will poop in one of her catbeds.Sometimes,hangs out of the catbox to tinkle,also.I think her confusion comes and goes?Hard to understand what she is thinking,of course-but I try.Just want her to be happy and healthy as possible.
I tried a box with a door,and that did NOT go well,at all.Had to take the plastic door off,she would become trapped in or outside of the box.Just to confusing for her.I tried the cottonball test and she seems to see it close up,but not when held abit farher away.So,she does see some,anyway.
Thanks again for all the advice.Tricks and I continue on,one day at a time!
sandyc and kids