My cat is 25 years old now.....

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: My cat is 25 years old now.....

Post by Bendy Kitty »

WOW!!!!
I don't really have much to add to what others have said, but I jsut wanted to say WOW!!!
25! that is GREAT! I know mom would love for me to live that long and hopefully I will.

Can we see a pict of this grand ol lady cat?

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

I don't know how to add a picture,but I do want to say Tricks is still with us!!!!
My brother and I used some electric trimmers and shaved her down abit.She had mats I simply could NOT remove.Her fur is soooo LONG!
Her body condition looks alot better than I expected.Feeling through her extra long fur,I thought she was a skeleton with fur.However,now I can SEE her body and she is thin,but NOT a skeleton!
Weight is 5 lbs,she used to be rather large once upon a time.
She continues to eat well!I'm offering her smaller amounts many more times a day.Trying to keep her eating and drinking.
If someohne can explain how to add a pic,I would love for you all to see her.She is actually quite a beautiful cat,I think.
Just had to share an update.Thanks for listening.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Right under this box is a tab called 'upload attachment' Click on that, then 'browse', select your pic and say add the file. Poof. You can add 'inline' to make it a part of the message, or let it stand by itself... it really doesn't make a tremendous amount of difference.
NICE WORK!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Here she is!I hope I did this right.
tricksjan2009.jpg
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

It worked!This pic was taken in Jan.She looks quite abit different now,being shaved down.Maybe you can tell in the pic,she had some AWFUL mats!I just couldn't get them out.Didn't want to hurt her,so shaving her down,was the only thing I could do.
Isn't she beautiful?!!!!!!
sandyc
Christine

Post by Christine »

She is very beautiful...what a testament to your love and care. So glad she is still doing well. Thanks for the picture...we LOVE pictures!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

she is booful!!!!!!!!!

I hope the cats here live to see 25!

bendy

sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Just an update!Tricks is still here!She is still doing okay,for her anyway.Still confused and hollering anytime of the night or day.
My brother and I shaved her,and I can really brush her much easier now.She loves it!Before,I just couldn;'t get all those little mats out of her fur.Fearing I would hurt her,I thought it best to shave her down.
Hopefully,with brushing etc,it will grow back,before it gets too cold.Otherwise,I'll put her in a sweater or something.
She is still managing to eat some crunchy catfood,but I give her canned with water,several times a day.
Just wanted to share that we are still hanging in there!
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

thank you for the update! great to hear she is still here and eating and enjoying life.
there are several cats here who get very close haircuts due to matts. mo mjust can't keep up with the brushing.

headbonks

bendy

mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Sandy:

Did I see that you had a CH kitty too? Are you on the yahoo CH kitty group?

The thinness and the confusion and the continual hollering concern me. These are all classic symptoms of a thyroid condition that is common place in a cat half her age. Thyroid failure can affect many organs of the body. It, along with high blood pressure, can cause blindness.

Have you had a complete blood panel and urinalysis done for Tricks? This will rule out or discover many things (diabetes, renal failure), however, it will not check for thyroid. for that you will need to have your vet run a T4 and T3 test. Thyroid function can be improved in several ways but at her age I suspect your vet will just put her on an easy to give (it comes as a transdermal) medication.

I would also have your vet check her blood pressure. High blood pressure is becoming as common place in cats as it is in humans (it is suspected that diet is the culprit just as it is with us). High blood pressure does not give many outward symptoms but it can cause a stroke, heart attack or other organ failures or death). High BP often causes blindness because it causes the retinas to detach. High BP is also easily managed by medication.

Have you checked her hearing? Like humans, cats as they age will begin to have fading eye sight and hearing.

Back when I was a child my aunts had a couple of sister cats that were in their mid 20's. Our Velcro is pushing 22 years old. We call her ol' gramma cat - she's taking full advantage of the 'i'm old' card to get away with pretty much anything she wants. She was never a snuggler with the other cats and preferred her space. Now she considers 'her space' to be an entire couch and if anyone makes a move to get up on it when she is there she lets out these blood curddling screams. Gramma is thinner too than she used to be - the muscles seem to lose a lot of their mass. We try to get her to eat the 'good stuff' but gramma likes her junk food so she gets her way a lot just so she keeps eating. We sometimes can mix a teaspoon of kmr powder into her canned food to give her an extra boost of calories. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Hi!I have a dog,Bandit(boston terrier)with CH.He is the sweetest kid!He has improved alot,since he was a baby.Coordination,etc,but he won't ever be "normal" whatever normal means,anyway.He has good days,and not so good days.I had 7 dogs,until last sept,when my white boxer Chloe passed.Her heart.So,I'm down to 7 dogs,2 cats and 4 birds.
Tricks is the oldest at 25.Molly(boston) is also a rescue,but I estimate her age on what the vet tells me.I've had her almost 8 years and she is approx 15 now.Quint(mixed breed)is 13,he was being given away in a parking lot,as a baby.
Buddy will be 9 soon.(boston).His problems are allergies).His half brother Toby (same dad,different Mom),will be 6.He has eye issues.
Daisy my chihuahua is about 4,she's pretty healthy.Bandit is the CH pup.He's 2 as of April.
I also have Nikki,she's my young cat.Only around 3 or 4.Getting old,I'm forgetting stuff sometimes.
Data,my African Grey Parrot,and 3 rescued cockatiels,Petie,Jackie and Pearl.
Yeah,something ALWAYS going on at MY house!LOL!Most of my kids are rescues.
Tricks is so fragile,I only take her to the vet,as a last resort.I don't want the stress to harm her.She is quite hard of hearing,and has alot of trouble seeing,has been this way for years.Vet says it's all age related.We did tests a few years back,should I put Tricks through the stress of that again? I'm REALLY scared to do that.
Tricks and I take it one day at a time and so far,so good.I DO talk to my vets about her alot.Anything to help my babies be as happy and healthy as they can be,for as long as possible.
Is there a group for DOGS with CH?Or,just kitties????
sandyc and kids
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

sandyc799 you are an inspiration! My very senior cat also had some mats I had not been able to comb out, and I was scared to use the electric hair clipper we normally use, I was having better luck just pulling them apart by hand. Today I bought a "trimmer" which is one of those miniature shavers they sell men to trim their sideburns or beard. It worked much better and my cat is now mat-free. When I saw your post earlier about shaving her, I wanted to ask how you did it. I used to be able to shave my cat in spots if needed but her skin has become so delicate at her current age, it is too easy to nick her and you feel awful and it takes a long time to heal. I did 3 mats today with the miniature shaver and 2 of them were in difficult places and I did not nick her at all.
:thankyou:
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Glad you were able to get the mats out.I think shaving Tricks is the best thing for her.She just LOVES to be brushed!
We are still hanging in there.One day at a time.
My brother has a chow mix and he knows how to use the electric shaver really well.Thank goodness,cause I was worried about nicking her so thin skin,too.He did a great job!My job was to hold her,reassure her and try to keep her calm.Not easy,she was sure something bad was happening,but we finally managed it.
She was hollering for more food abit earlier.I checked and she; eaten almost all of it!Yay!
I worry constantly about whether she gets enough into her.But,apparently she does.Thank goodness.I've just had her so long,I want to keep her as healthy and happy as I can.For as long as she is meant to be here.
sandyc and kids