Mysti sick sore throat?

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
petJill13.8

Mysti sick sore throat?

Post by petJill13.8 »

HI
After 2 surgeries Mysti is doing fine .... eating well, enjoying walks, and loving personal attention/doggie rubs. At noon today she started coughing... dry, hacking, trying to gag for a while then went to sleep. Dinner time coughing again ... deeper sound, gaging up some liquid, white color. We will see what tonight brings...?
Can a dog get a sore throat? Can we give her anything to soothe the throat?
What does kennel cough sound like and can she get it even having had a kennel cough shot in the fall?
Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks Mysti's Mom
Mysti Walk with Coat.JPG
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Mysti sick sore throat?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My Gabriel is gagging up phlegm as well. He vomitted a few days ago. Allicks had a bad cough when the house across the street burned all day while I was at work, she also coughed when she had something stuck in her throat. I simply stuck my finger down to explore and what ever it was I pushed it down and her coughing stopped. When she had the fire cough, I gave her ice cream to soothe.
It can be hair, upset stomach, I always heat up a yummy liquid like broth, or drippings to see if that 'melts' what ever is in the throat. Others should weigh in shortly. What a great pic!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Yeah I remember mine doing that ocasionally as well, I found some hairs coming out.
Hope your problem is solved soon.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
lenamegan

Post by lenamegan »

If the surgeries were recent it could be from the tracheal tube that was down her throat. Most coughs will go away with time, even usually kennel cough. Animal Apawthecary http://www.cart4sites.com/Merchant2/mer ... _Code=Apaw also makes a good tincture which they market for digestive problems called phytomucil but will also work well for coughs and is very safe.
Best wishes,
Lena McCullough, DVM
www.pathwithpaws.com
lenamegan

Post by lenamegan »

And yes dogs can get kennel cough even if they have had the vaccine.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

My parents' senior Border Collie (10 1/2) has started coughing as well and occasionally brings up white froth. As lenamegan said, he had caught kennel cough despite being vaccinated. He was treated but still coughs and the vet has now said that it is tracheitis, which I understood to be like a tickle because the vet could make Elmer cough just by touching his throat. I would mention it to the vet anyway in case it indicates the beginning of a heart problem but I think that occurs when the dog coughs after exercise.
lenamegan

Post by lenamegan »

It's always good with a chronic cough to have someone listen to heart and lungs to rule out a heart or lung issue. Dogs with heart problems can cough at any time of day but usually cough more in the evening. Most dogs with any kind of cough will cough more after exercise but dogs with heart problems will often have exercise intolerance where they need to stop and catch their breathe with physical activity.

Older dogs often get laryngeal paralysis where they laryngeal doesn't open fully with each breath and this can cause coughing and sometimes problems with breathing. If it is mild nothing is done about it but if it is severe sometimes surgery is needed. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose this is by visualizing the larynx which requires anesthesia. Because of this most older dogs are usually not diagnosed. I'm had some success with herbal treatments and acupuncture for this. Not a whole lot western medicine can do except the surgery.