Further adventures with Merlin - How not to lift a dog

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
CarolC

Further adventures with Merlin - How not to lift a dog

Post by CarolC »

Merlin is a senior golden retriever who can't get up by himself and his hind end tends to go out on him after walking a bit. These are our latest 2 adventures.

About 3 weeks ago I was lifting him from where he plopped on the floor. I have an engine hoist but thought I had developed a clever way to avoid using it. I crouch halfway and lay my right forearm/elbow on my bent knee, then grab his rear harness with my right hand and lift him by doing a curl with my right hand, letting all the weight transfer from my hand through my elbow to my knee, avoiding using my back. That worked brilliantly for about 2 months, only sometimes he needed steadying in front with my left hand. So about 3 weeks ago I was lifting him with my right arm on my right knee, while reaching all the way forward with my left hand to catch his front harness and keep him from falling, and I dislocated a rib on the left mid-back. Thought I'd thrown my back out, it hurt just as much. Anyway, muscle relaxers, 3 trips to the chiropractor, several days off work, and it is nearly normal except sometimes while I am just sitting in a chair doing nothing it will pop for no reason. :roll:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Further adventures with Merlin - How not to lift a dog

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

It hurts so much when it's out of place. I am good for the first 5 mins after adjustment, then getting into the Miata throws me out again. Pinched nerves, bone on bone. Man it hurts. Next time, use a TOWEL instead of your arm! ;0
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/