New here...need help with our dog...

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
missyj1

New here...need help with our dog...

Post by missyj1 »

We have a 14 year old Australian Shepherd named Earl. He has slowly become unable to get up easily (dysplacia (sp??) and arthritis). To make matters worse, our landlord just installed hardwoods in our living and dining room. Earl is 98 pounds so you can imagine what we are dealing with. We went out last night and bought a set of booties with a non-skid surface. Of course, we can only use 2 at a time because they perspire through their pads - we put them on the back paws. Anyhow, even with the booties, he is having issues. When he on the textured tile in the kitchen, he is fine. He isn't quick, but he doesn't have the problems he has on the hardwoods. Our kitchen is not big and we don't feel it is fair to keep him cooped up in the kitchen all the time. I know that area rugs would be ideal, but they are also quite costly. Any help or advise at all would be very appreciated. I am very worried that he will slip on the hardwoods and break a hip while we are out of the house. Thanks.

Missy in Austin, TX
Attachments
This is Earl, back in "the day"!! He is our best friend!
This is Earl, back in "the day"!! He is our best friend!
Missy in Austin, TX

Please go to www.sarasanctuary.org
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: New here...need help with our dog...

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Wow! Earl is a BIG aussie! And he certainly is a senior. Congratulations to YOU for raising such an advanced in years pup!

Do you have a Maxway or Big Lots close by? Or, my personal favorites, Thrift Stores! You can get carpet runners for $10. You can also get just the under runner that keeps the runners in place Every runner I have seen though is rubberized on the back. You can also get an eggshell for about $7 and cut it into long strips. It grabs a hardwood floor and also cushions the floor. Earl would learn quickly to walk on the eggshell.
What a beautiful boy!

WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Missy,

I think you're right to worry. (Boy, that sounds un-reassuring, doesn't it?! :roll: ) Aside from falling and hurting himself, the other thing he may do is wipe out while you're not home and then be down for maybe several hours, and be miserable, and possibly wet on the floor and damage the finish of the new hardwood, and possibly scratch it in his attempts to scramble to his feet. I've got rugs in my house for my senior dog and they aren't elegant, but boy do they work. I got them at either Lowe's or Home Depot, don't remember. They were $18 each, and the size is 3' by 5', so two of them laid end to end will pretty much get your dog across the room. They are those door mats you see in the entryway to stores, where the center is low pile carpet and the edge is a black rubber border. They usually come in charcoal or green. They do NOT slide around on linoleum or oak parquet. They are super easy to vacuum. Really, it's worth the money if you can manage, you won't need to buy many of them. Have you talked to your vet about starting him on a diet? He'll have an easier time getting up without the extra weight.
missyj1

Post by missyj1 »

We have looked into runners. The only drawback is that he tends to wander off of anything put down for his protection. We have him in the carpeted hallway to our bedroom which he can manuever better than the floor. Also, our bedroom is carpeted and has a back door which leads to the yard so he does not have to travel through the living room. Thanks for the idea of the runners and area rugs. As it so happens, the man who installed our floors had gone to a yard sale several weeks ago and purchased some runners. We are going to see how he does on those. I have an email into the vet to see if she can prescribe him something more than Tramadol. It is not as effective as it had been. Also, he was on Dermaxx but we saw no noticeable improvement with that either. There has to be something. Having said that, I know in my heart of hearts that we have truly done everything we can for Earl. It may be about time to be humble and accept the fact that we HAVE done everything for him. We will be making a decision about that in the next few weeks - if he makes it that long.

Thanks for all the advise. Please keep our friend Earl in your thoughts and prayers. We could ALL use it.
Missy in Austin, TX

MarleysDad

Post by MarleysDad »

We too have hardwood floors in our house and after Marley started having back leg problems it was time to put SOMETHING down for him to get traction on.

I went to Home Depot and ended up buying indoor carpet on the 12' roll and had them cut it 3' wide. Ended up buying 5 cut pieces. The stuff I got was a low cut berber, I think for ~$6/sq yard. 3'x12' = 4 sq yards or ~$24. No backing but when it's 3'x12' it pretty much stays put. I used carpet tape to tape all the edges together where multiple pieces met.

House is now much more dog friendly. Wish I did this earlier.
(Marley just had back surgery to remove the herniated disc 9 days ago viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13011)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

There are also foamy, rubbery pieces that you can fit together like a puzzle to make trails or whatever. I've seen funky colors for kids and plain black too. I saw them at Lowe's, but I think you can get them almost anywhere (although I didn't have any luck getting any from Freecycle).

PS--I'd also consider Show Foot Spray to let him have unlimited access, assuming it worked well for him, of course.

Yeah, great big rubber puzzle pieces. I saw them at wallyworld yesterday! AND at biglots. I even thought about getting some and spraypainting spongebob's face off (don't tell Mr Krabbs!). They weren't very expensive. Go to big lots odd lots first, they sell everything cheaper!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
missyj1

Post by missyj1 »

We have had so many ideas sent to us and we will be going through them over the next few days. In the meantime, Earl is safe and in the carpeted hallway to the carpeted Master Bedroom (which he can also have access to). He wants to get out into the living room area, but we have a kiddie gate up so he cannot get out. When he went out this morning, I noticed that it is definitely his back legs (especially his right one) that are giving him the problems. The dysplacia has really left him crippled. We do help him in and out of the back door and then back into his position in the hall. I would like the vet to get back to me right away with an answer on stronger meds for him so he doesn't just give up.

Thanks again for the advise. I really am liking this place! I will be here for a long long time. On top of having Earl, we also have 6 cats (one of which is almost 10) so I will be seeking advise on them as well!
Attachments
Earl thumbnail.jpg
Missy in Austin, TX

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Is he overweight? If so, I'd particularly consider hydrotherapy (swimming). People have used bathtubs, hot tubs, natural bodies of water, swimming pools, and stock tanks to accomplish exercise and toning without weight-bearing.
missyj1

Post by missyj1 »

critters wrote:Is he overweight? If so, I'd particularly consider hydrotherapy (swimming). People have used bathtubs, hot tubs, natural bodies of water, swimming pools, and stock tanks to accomplish exercise and toning without weight-bearing.
That would be fine if he were not already so high strung. The least little thing freaks him out and then it takes him hours to calm down. With his enlarged heart, I'd hate to think what too much stress can do. However, I do agree that it is an excellent therapy. I do know people who have tried it with their dogs and they swear by it. Thanks for the advise. Thanks all of you!
Missy in Austin, TX

missyj1

Re: New here...need help with our dog... an update

Post by missyj1 »

Our precious Earl died this afternoon. He was just too old and sick to make it anymore and we felt that we had exhausted all options as far as treatments. He had been switched to comfort care only about 3 months ago but had a rapid decline in the past few weeks. We finally decided this afternoon that his quality of life had declined to the point that we were keeping him alive out of selfishness for us. At any rate, his pain has ended and he is in a better please I'm sure. We'll see him again some day. Thanks to everyone who offered advise on Earl and his mobility
Attachments
Our precious boy.... rest in peace my friend until we meet again.....
Our precious boy.... rest in peace my friend until we meet again.....
Missy in Austin, TX

Christine

Post by Christine »

Missy, I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful friend, and fortunately for both of you, with you a long time. We hope you will stick around and help with people asking about cats. Earl was a beautiful boy. If you would like us to, we can move your post about his passing to the Rainbow Bridge forum.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08

Oh, Missy! I am so very sorry! You moved heaven & earth for your guy and he was so lucky to have you. I am so very sorry for your loss. It hurts so much! As Christine says, you may want to post in the RainbowBridge so folks know.
My very deepest sympathies.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
missyj1

Re: New here...need help with our dog... an update

Post by missyj1 »

missyj1 wrote:Our precious Earl died this afternoon. He was just too old and sick to make it anymore and we felt that we had exhausted all options as far as treatments. He had been switched to comfort care only about 3 months ago but had a rapid decline in the past few weeks. We finally decided this afternoon that his quality of life had declined to the point that we were keeping him alive out of selfishness for us. At any rate, his pain has ended and he is in a better please I'm sure. We'll see him again some day. Thanks to everyone who offered advise on Earl and his mobility
<P>
Christine and Karen-

Thank you so much. We miss our "Bubba" very much but he is in a better place and we know we will see him again. Please, if someone could place this post at Rainbow Bridge, I would appreciate it. I have been so busy with the kids and dealing with their grief as well as things going on around the house that I barely have time for myself! Thanks so much!

Missy - Earl's mom
Attachments
Earl 1.jpg
Missy in Austin, TX

He was a happy, lucky, boy. What a beautiful smiling life he had. He owed it all to you.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!