Mysti new abdominal sickness

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
petJill13.8

Mysti new abdominal sickness

Post by petJill13.8 »

Hi
Since last post in March (cough treated with antibiotic virtually gone), Mysti has done well ...eating well, a little weight gain, regular BMs and tinkles, and good energy on walks. But once again she is living up to her name ... Mysti for mystery. She started licking her rear end about a week ago and licking the rugs or towels she was sitting on (as though the area itched). It has become swollen and has discharge so back to the vet we went. The swab showed the discharge is light red, the stool sample showed no worms, the anal glands were full, and the urine sample had blood in it. Since she was spayed when her" baseball sized" spleen tumor(benign) was removed in Aug., these "heat-like symptoms" must have a different cause. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Also she has 3 more lumps (mammary tumors ?) in different locations than the 4- part mastectomy done in Oct.08. This will be dealt with later ... after this internal mystery is cleared up. The first guess is a possible cystic cause so we start pills Simplicef 100mg today. She seems very subdued after the vet visit. Not sure how long to wait before returning to the vet for another treatment option. Will keep you posted. Mysti's Mom
Mysti coat.JPG
Last edited by petJill13.8 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolC

Re: Mysti new abdominal sickness

Post by CarolC »

I once had a cat that was spayed but she went into season several times. I asked the vet and he said it didn't matter, she couldn't get pregnant, so I didn't worry about it, but I should have. Later she developed a infection and had to be respayed. They had left part of an ovary during the first spay.
Tinker's Mom

Re: Mysti new abdominal sickness

Post by Tinker's Mom »

Mysti's Mom- Based on what you're describing, the first thing that occurs to me is to have your vet rule out Pyometra. At first glance, most people (and some vets) think the risk of Pyometra is eliminated when the ovaries and uterus are removed during spaying. But, there is a specific form of it called Stump Pyometra that occurs when some ovarian or uterine tissue is left during spay surgery... and the symptoms are similar to the more well-known form that occurs in unspayed females. Here's more info: http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/Health ... inDogsCats