Mobility Hip Brace Question

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Aus Dilecce

Mobility Hip Brace Question

Post by Aus Dilecce »

I'm a newbie to the Senior's Section and would like to ask some advice.

Smoke, my glorious 12 year old border collie cross is struggling with a bit of old age and her off side hind leg is obviously painful in the hip. I have had her on glucosamine and fish oil for about six months but it is no longer enough. I have a great vet who has started her on a course of Pentosan (might be called Cartrophen in USA) and Metacam and I am seeing marked improvements already. However, he and I are wondering about a Mobility Hip Brace and I wonder if anyone has any experience of them in the senior dogs. Smoke still likes to run and has been bunny hunting with me the last two mornings on our walks although she is tending to run with her 2 hind legs together.

I am asking rather than just buying one as they aren't cheap and I would have to pay to ship it to Australia and I don't want to pin my hopes on it if it is really just designed for a young, more boisterous dog.

Thanks very much, Kate
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Mobility Hip Brace Question

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I have no exp. either, but your treatment and success are very encouraging to a lot of us. I am awaiting arrival of senior (14 or so) who can't walk, may be neurological, may be result of accident, don't know yet. If someone weighs in, I'll be right here with you, looking excitedly!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Aus Dilecce

Re: Mobility Hip Brace Question

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Thanks Karen, I remember you helping me when our Jack Russell was down and I appreciate your response.
Hopefully somebody with experience can enlighten us. We can travel this one together you and I.
Cheers, Kate