Tillman is home and his name is Angel

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Tillman is home and his name is Angel

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, my leaving has been good for the last couple of days. He's deaf, so the only signal I can give is picking up my purse and heading to the door. Eventually he will associate purse with my leaving. He doesn't feel the air pressure change when the door closes, nor does he hear a thing. His vision is bad as well. This is why the first couple of days, I thought he was dead when I couldn't get him to respond or wake up and his breathing was so shallow.

The one who needs to chew is the puppy :) And chew he does.

If I sequester AngelTillman either while I am at home, or when I am gone, he screams. Baby gate he can see through, doors he cannot. And at night when I come home, remember I have a deafblind, a deafalmost blind a blind and two that can see & hear, for a total of five. They run me over when I come in the door, and AngelTillman has learned from the others that there is high excitement when the mom person comes home. He starts barking and doesn't stop until I lock him up, lock 3 others up, let the blind in, feed her, lock her up, let him out, lock him back up with food, feed the other three, let him out, let all four outside. That's when I first get home and it pretty much goes on like that all night. He is treated the same as the others except he goes into the bathroom as opposed to eating with the others or being locked up with the others. He won't eat, but is fiercly aggressive, and doesn't understand that another's bowl belongs to another, so he cannot cohabitate during meal time.

I am very interested in these replies and I so appreciate your posting to and fro!

He is a handful, emotionally speaking, and I think most of his issues stem from psychological rather than physical. We forget he is neurologically deficit (or at least I do, he seems so NORMAL ! :D In this house it is so hard to tell the difference! :lol: ) from being head trauma'd by a 3,000 # vehicle. But his issues are workable, and as he has made so much progress in every other area, I think we can make progress here as well.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

My dog loved routine, so he felt 'safe'.
What about the food intake issue?
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy

Well, he turned up Mr. Nose at his cereal tonight, and Gabriel turned his nose up at puppy chow. So Gabriel got the cereal which he LOVED, and Mr. Won't Eat got puppy chow. He actually ate about a quarter cup! His spine really sticks out.
I had him on bed tonight, our time, and while he rolls around grunting, and actually licked my face twice tonight (YAY!) he kind of panics when I hug his head and shoulders, not tight, just rest my head on his neck and encircle his chest. He can only take it for a moment and knocks me silly. I am never quite sure if a bite will follow or just more rolling around. He does love having his butt scritched. He doesn't have any idea what play is or interacting with dogs. My other three play manically (except for Ambrr, the others jump her and she lays on the floor playin with them, she's almost 9.5 now) so I hope AngelTillman learns by watching. He has learned a lot, like pottying outside, and actually going outside, which he does like. He seems to be getting stronger, in that he runs really fast now. Chasing that cat, and one of these days, if he catches her, he is going to be soooo very sorry. He races under lawn furniture and bumps his spine, which scares me, cause doc said he has a lump on his spine. It is all about quality right now though, and I believe he has a MUCH better life than whatever he had in NJ (because he knows NOTHING about being in a family, play, food, safety and comfort) so as soon as I can cough up the testing $$ we can get him on chlomipramine that is IF he passes his tests!. Another worry I'm not ready for right now.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Good he is adjusting to your life that takes time and routine, looks like it works.
Might there be a little pain issue with the head/neck? Or would it be trauma from what happened and he didn't forget.
Love hearing about progress :lol:

let all beings be happy
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

here is another reply for you:

It sounds to me that this wonderful Lady knows what she's doing. Poor guy - well actually LUCKY guy to have her. If she can eliminate any medical problems, it's just going to take him some time to feel safe and loved. He will calm down.

My goodness, she is such an angel!!!!!! Bless her!

let all beings be happy
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

And more replies, if it gets too much let me know :D

Oh my what an angel your friend is for taking him in knowing hes going to need extra TLC while she already has a house full. I think shes doing fine, she knows the purse is what he associates with leaving. I think hes in the right home :)))) she picks up on his limitations.

Why keep him separate from her while shes home?? Let him learn about his new family.

To save herself some time, can she feed them in the rooms that they are locked up in? So they are all eating at the same time but separately. Or is that how shes doing it, Im confused.

He is fiercly food aggressive I am sure for many reasons, one of them being that he is so hungry, he must be as skinny as the sweet boy is. New surroundings, which is confusing to any dog but esp. one that's blind and deaf. And God only knows what he went through before his new home. At this point I would feed whatever he will eat to get meat on him, or that in itself will cause health problems. Perhaps another type of dog food, or part canned if shes feeding dry to entice him.

That was a kiss from him thanking your for saving him and giving him a wonderful place to finally relax and feel loved. They know and they are grateful beings.

Why chlomipramine? for anxiety? What tests?

Many dogs like canned vs. dry so I would give it a try. Starting with a little as a whole meal off the bat can cause diarrhea. Enzymes and probiotics and/or slippery elm would help while is system gets back to normal.

let all beings be happy

Puremutt, thank you thank you! We are ALL learning from Angel Tillman.
Albin gets fed separately from the two big dogs because he's tiny and trying to track and keep 3 dogs at separate bowls is just too frantic. Ambrr & Gabriel get fed on the porch. AngelTillman is clueless Sees a bowl going down and unless he's on a leash, will run right over. Not that he'll eat it. But things can get ugly and stress at mealtime is important to avoid. So he gets dish first in bathroom and second in kitchn where I can stand next to him.
I have a dog aggressive dog who must be separate from all and she comes in and out 2 tims a day, others are behind barricaded doors. She's my easiest right now.
AngelTillman is only separated when the others eat and when AllicksBlindPup goes in and out. Everyone gets a dog cookie in the same room, because they get eaten.
Angel ate some fish sticks this morning!!! YAY!! So I'll expirment tonight with veggies and noodles.
He won't eat dog food, canned or kibble. I soak my kibble for the otehrs, to flavor it and no dice. Dry or soaked.
If you revisit what I have tried, like baby food, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, canned, lamb, broth of all kinds, gground beef. At first mixed with canned steakhouse, then wasting that whole bowl, straight up still nothing. Getting him to eat a biscuit is huge because that actually is dog food!

Angel arrived here after a 14 driver, 2 day transport that folks didn't think he would survive. He came for hospice care for his final days. Unable to walk, barely able to stand, never ever jump, not eating, hemorrhaged and scarred eyeballs from the impact has some vision but not a lot, neurologically damaged from being hit by a car, 14 year old senior senior. He came here so he would have a family when he died. He is now a 9 y.o. maybe, can not only run but JUMP and race staircase! I have now discovered he also is deaf which is not a handicap in this house, in fact I told doc it is a blessing and she nodded vigorously. Still not eating, neuro, but who knows how much in this house?? He is a far cry from last month. He is not ready for hospice for quite a while!

The chlomipramine is for his anxiety. Which may also help him eat, who knows? He needs liver tests and blood tests before doc will Rx. And it's been a brutal cash flow couple of months. 5 vet visits, car in shop 2 times, 2 tax bills, a new vacuum for the home visit :) and the tons of food I'm buyin and tryin to no avail. So it'll have to wait til after Andy's birthday June 17. I buy a display ad every year to raise $$ for rescue for his birthday. That outtrumps everything at this time of year.
Trying to decide what to donate to this year. Thinking http://www.AmazingAussies.com or Camden County Animal Control, Angel's alma mater.
http://www.AndrewKeithAnderson.tvheaven.com has Andy's other gifts from his special dates. ...

Any idears? :)
THANK YOU AGAIN PUREMUTT! You are the BEST!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Mickey brought me here at the time, he thaught me sooooo much: patience / true love / companionship ( darn I am almost crying again, I still miss him so much!) . Since his passing I have been donating ( I save on not buying food/supplements for him), first was canine companion, they train dogs for handicapped children, then I gave some money to 'save the wolves' and 'best friends ' in Utah.
I bought the Bark magazine ( still love to read about dogs) and there was an article about senior dogs.
A lady who dedicates herself to the old, usually sick dogs, it struck me, I sent them some money as well, here's her website:
http://olddoghaven.org/
Again I posted your story, we see if there's more advice coming..................

let all beings be happy

Well, this is not for the faint of heart or the good cook...
Did I tell you about the sugar cookies I made for pups this week? Instead of sugar used beef flavor packet. Instead of milk, used egg. Baked until rock hard, which is my usual MO. All pups loved them!
So this morning, opened canned alpo. Mixed in flour, a little oil (to keep from burning), some puppy chow for chips, made little balls and baked. EVEN ANGELTILLMAN EATS EM! He'll eat dog food if I bake it! Go figure :) I'll be cooking up a storm o cookies this weekend.
He's had ramen noodles all week, with some kibble and veggies sneaked in. He had mashed pots w/lima beans last night, ate around the limas. Eats some, but not enough.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Cool! I was wondering about the food issue yesterday.
Things will work out I am sure, he will adjust to you now.
I will bake some chocolate chips here in this house to celebrate!

let all beings be happy

Tick tock tick tock tick tock his wind down clock is ticking faster and faster. I decided a month or two ago to stop stressin about it, and take it as it is. No amount of stressing NOR trying helps.
His sweet side has exploded. He absolutely has become a velcro dog and when the others dance around me, so does he, trying to get closest to me and getting knocked down, he is so very weak. He wont eat. He wont eat anything. Nothing. Not steak, not chicken, not even the occasional biscuit, nothing he used to eat.
Time for Tillman is just about over.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I know you tried every kind of food, what to do? I don't know, just don't know, liquid food?
is he still 'happy'? is there a vet visit soon?
I don't know what to say at this point < I will think and come back.

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awww...Karen....this just hurts so much. We are all pulling for him, praying for him and it is just such a mystery. If he was with anyone else, he wouldn't have had the love he's known these last months. Your dedication and perserverance is beyond anything I have ever seen or heard of and he is repaying you the only way he can. Why can't we figure this out!!!!!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08

He ate a dixie cup of ice cream tonight. Horrible for him I know, no dairy in a dog's diet, but treats from here on. He'll get a gingerbread man for breakfast. Pray he eats it. He is standin on my lap kissing me as I type this. What a heartbreaker.

Doc really really thought he would transition to eating. Really. I did too. I mean hunger in any animal motivates us to eat things we would not ordinarily. Starvation, oh, you bet. Not my guy.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

he's such a sweetie!
what about put that icecream and sneek something in there?

let all beings be happy