Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
CarolC

Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Post by CarolC »

http://dogswithdisabilities.com/disabled.htm

I have not had time to test the advice but am posting this link since I have not seen another link like it about dogs.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Post by Bobbie »

The pressure sore link is off on the left sidebar of that link. It's pretty much what I found last week when Candy got a pressure sore- his was from his cart, I think, and besides the advice given, I'd add if they are in a cart more than two hours take them out, massage the area to get the blood flowing again, and don't put them back until the redness subsides. His is healing fine only because he isn't in his cart right now and I'm keeping it clean.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My mom got bad ones as she was dying. Despite the fact we moved her, she couldn't breathe so only sitting propped could she breathe with oxy & fan.
She was a skeleton and the hip bones pushed right through her flesh. I used oatmeal. Real oatmeal, as the baths & lotions didn't cut it. I made real oatmeal paste. Not instant oatmeal, real stuff. It really did help.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

The things I found when I looked for info on treating pressure sores (they are only decubitus ulcers if they are bed sores) was that nutrition, specifically a high protein diet, is important, and not staying in the same position for more than two hours is important. (That's what Candy was doing, essentially, when he was in his cart longer than that.) I also learned that they can be fatal in paraplegic humans (and I imagine dogs, too) and that they can be very hard to treat if you can't remove the source of the pressure. Luckily with the cart it was easy- keep him out of the cart and it healed right up (plus an antibiotic.) He got some good use out of his Protect-a-pet suits this past week and a half, and a few walks in the bike trailer/stroller.

Wheelchair users have the same problem Candy had- sitting too long in the wheelchair- and that's why you'll see them sometimes lift themselves up on the arms of the wheelchair (push up.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Hi,
I have a 14 year old male Belgian Malinois who is recovering from a small stroke and has arthritis in his hips. After his stroke, we helped him get around with a belly lift and he was able to rise and walk on his own within a couple of weeks. We relocated his doghouse and he's been able (and happier) to stay home with his other pals.
Last night I noticed a pressure sore right on the hip, up high near the base of his tail. This is the preferred side to lay on plus I'd be sure he's making it raw as he skids a tad to get up, whether outside, on a carpet or the floor if he's putting pressure on that spot this is certain to continue.
He has a tempurpedic bed to sleep in, another similar in our living room and a plush sheepskin rug that he just loves. But, we can't leave these things outdoors. He still enjoys his doghouse which has a pad and his fav spot oputside is on cement, YIKES! I am putting out some carpet pieces and a 'spare bed' however he, as well as his pals, tend to chew up beds outside. I think something strapped to him would be the best solution, maybe I'm nuts.
What is a Protect-a-pet suit? I think he'd accept something strapped to him, pads or something anyone bought anything already produced? Keeping it on would probably be the biggest hurdle. Maybe a neoprene dog pant or doggy chaps? Or a foam in a Kevlar shell? I'd put him in a backward bra if I had to! I have a vet appointment on Saturday but he isn't going to create a pad for me! Padded bicycle pants?
I am keeping peroxide on the sore for the moment but I can't let this get out of control. He is happy, cheerful, enjoys our company and wants to be with us. He still enjoys paw games and treats, he's a great eater and drinks water appropriately. Although the boy's head is a little tilted and he'll always be somewhat unsteady, he isn't ready to check out just yet.
I thank-you kind people for your input and will keep you in my best thoughts, Kelley
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Don't use peroxide- it will clean it initially but then it damages the tissue. Use something like Neosporin while it is an open sore, to keep it moist.

How about something to KEEP him off that spot.. don't know how, but the concept I'm thinking of is putting a tennis ball in the back of your pajamas to keep you from sleeping on your back (and snoring.)

It's very hard to get these ulcers to heal unless you can get him off of it and give it time to heal, and then keep him from spending too much time in one position.
Bobbie Mayer
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree about using Neosporin (by the gallon). There is divided opinion on whether to cover pressure sores or not. If he was indoors I'd be inclined to let the air get to it, but when the dog is outdoors you can have fly strike, which you don't want (or ants depending on where you live). You might ask your vet about that.

People here have put human diapers on dogs. Your dog is fairly big, so you might want to try adult diapers for humans or a large size "pull-ups", I think they make them for children up to 125 lbs. :oops: Here is a size chart that may help, and also shows a protect-a-pet suit. Unfortunately I don't think the suit will work for this case, as it is designed with a pet that cannot use the hind legs in mind.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

You can also put boy's or men's jockey shorts on backward with the tail through the fly until you find something better.

If you want to order something fancier, I'm thinking of rehab wraps from Sam's Dog Hut, or you may find other such items at other websites. (I feel like I'm not quite hitting the mark here, you'll probably find something more appropriate than this suggestion if you look, but I know they cover that area near the tail.) It's times like this when cruising the aisles of your local Goodwill or Salvation Army can be helpful. :wink:

http://www.samsdoghut.com

If it gets any worse and you are sure the outdoor surfaces are the problem, you might need to bring him in for a week or 10 days. These things really can be more persistent than expected. Walking him to stimulate circulation would be helpful, too.

:banner:
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Oh Golly, I should know better. I just wrote a reply and didn't save it and it made me log in again and POOF! Post Gone! This one will be more biref.

Thanks Bobbie and Carol for your replies. I will further review the websites you've so kindly posted. It is amazing the ingenious solutions people have come up with to resolve their pets helath issues! Amazing! Yes, a trip to Goodwill and a little imagination will often result in a solution, great reminder.

I can't blame the outdoor surfaces entirely, we have pure wool, short nap carpet and the old boy has rotated on that same spot to get up for years. I should have seen this coming. I really think the answer is getting padding that goes where the dog goes PLUS bettering his environment (and hope the gang doesn't shred his 'betterment' very often!

My vet, whom I really do like, suggested the peroxide to keep it dry versus moist, soggy and not heal. My initial first aid sense was to use Neosporin. I am considering Rescue Remedy cream as it is handling a nasty little oven burn on my thumb without making it 'wet'. Peroxide just seems so harsh. Thankfully ants aren't an issue but when out Salt LAke City weather finally warms up, flies could be an issue. Thanks for the reminder BEFORE it is a problem.

In a pinch, because we own our own business, we can take a dog to work. This Belgian Malinois is the most difficult of my pack to take due to his extreme seperation anxiety. We worked throught it his first couple of years, furniture, angry neighbors, Animal Control notices, sibling fights, but with alot of love and patience we worked him through most of it and he's been a gem. That said, I work in the shop so I'm continually on the move. If I'm out of his sight for a minute, we unwind years of hard work. He basically wigs out and we are in a business that customers see and hear it. It does affect customers perception of our specialized shop in a negative way and employees can't take it for long either. So, he is happier at home and we are happier to leave him at home! I've tried herbs, homeopathy and flower essences and they work at home for fireworks, evening out, whatever but not the work situation.

We considered mens shorts but it hinders his ability to urinate and have a BM. I thought about seweing a pocket inside the briefs and putting a gel or foam pad in the pocket, we'd have to alter the 'outlets' too. I first put briefs in my dog when I was about 11 and haven't stopped laughing since. I'll post a pic of my Scout after surgery with boxers and suspenders to keep them up, it's a riot. Diapers could help too, maybe overnight and weekends.

So, last night the idea we came up with, for now anyway, is we used one of my padded bras on his rump and his tail is where the 'cleavage' should be. My hubby sewed the straps shorter we then put the suspenders on, routed through his collar. I hunted and searched through two stores for ideas and came up with some shoe gel inserts and oput that in when I arrived home. He successfuly has worn the bra over night then all day and stayed clean too!

I too have concernes over covering the sore versus leaving it in the open air. I think we might have to address this day by day, hoping keeping a pad at his rump will allow some air flow yet cover when putting pressure there. Hadn't ever heard of the tennis ball in the PJ's, I think that is a great concept. I could add a jock cup to the bra to keep him from laying on that side and still insert a gel or memory foam pad. Great ideas!

It is far past my bedtime, I thank you for your time and advice. I will try to post current info as we go and hope it might help others.

Good Nite!
kaiser brabutt1.jpg
kaiser brabutt1.jpg
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Ooops posted pic twice. Here is a close up. The sore is just below the base of his tail and left about an inch at the top of the 'hip' bone. The inside or cleavage edge DOES luckily cover the sore.
Attachments
kaiser brabutt 2.jpg
Last edited by oldcargirl on Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

And here is Scout in her pants and suspensers after surgery. The shorts helped contain drainage from a tube in her inner thigh area. I'd hoped to stick a maxie pad to the shorts but it wouldn't stay. We ended up taping the maxi pad to the shaved belly and that worked well.
Attachments
Scout pants1.jpg
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Skin has to be moist to grow new skin. You slow healing down if you let the area dry out.
Bobbie Mayer
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm with Bobbie. My sores and scrapes always contract painfully when they dry out. :shock: :lol: atthe bra idea; what a creative use!! :mrgreen:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I LOVE your picture (and the caption). VERY ingenious. You know...whatever works!!! Good job! :trophy:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I have to agree, you are OUR PEOPLE! brabutt indeed, you are WONDERFULLY INVENTIVE! Smiles all 'round! :lol:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Hey Folks!
Another successful day with the bra on the rump sore! Although the shoe gel pad fell out, the bra pad is still covering the sore AND there is healing. I have been putting the Rescue Remedy cream on, since there was no sign of any infection and I did apply the peroxide a couple of times. I agree that a sore, especially a larger one would heal slower and poorly if left to dry and create a huge scab. And it isn't flexible so it just tears open again and again-OUCH! I've had enough scrapes, gouges, cuts and burns from working on cars to know that! Sometimes experience and that little voice are worth listening to.

I'll cut the vet assistant a little slack, since she didn't actually see the sore but maybe they should hold advice until they do see the patient. Who knows, one answer can't cover everything! I really do have a great conventional vet , he is very open to homeopathy, accupuncture, whatever works and HELPS the pet.

Thanks for your compliments on the buttbra, I think I outdid myself this time and almost wish the neighbors could see this one! He is hard to get a photo of, that boy is. And of course, I couldn't back down from a challenge like this! I just wish I was handier with fabrics, I can restore a classic car but the 'softer and more creative' arts are quite difficult for me.

As I've aged to be over 40, I have wondered if I needed something unique to help a physical problem, would someone be willing to do this for me? Or would they be too embarrassed? Or think I was embarrassing? My hubby would, but who else? Mom, Sis, Auntie?? I suppose we will all find out the hard way just how far someone will go for our comfort and well-being.

I will continue to try and pad the bra further, I may be able to silicone the shoe pad into the bra cup. I'll post an update with any info on that and how the sore is healing. I really have had great success with the Rescue Remedy cream and a Calendula ointment in a number of situations.

Enjoy the weekend all!