Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
oldcargirl

Re: Pressure sores (decubitis ulcers)

Post by oldcargirl »

OH, I forget to say how much I appreciated the posts from Gabrieldeafblindpupfamily (on a few threads I think) reminding how much our pals would enjoy a massage. I've been making a better effort to do this on Kaiser, espcially since the stroke. Kaiser feels better, he rests better at night, he always shows his appreciation with plenty of sweet kisses. I initially wanted to give him massages to keep a good blood flow and some brisk rubbing and scratching as he can't do it on his own now.

I know we don't have alot of time left and this has also been a nice way to spend special time that is just for him. This has evolved into playing little games to keep his mind working and thinking and he enjoys this as well. It does make a difference!

Thanks!
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

I wanted to give a quick update on how the pressure sore is healing and how the bra pad is working out. We visited the vet on Sat, May 16th, he still suggests peroxide but I didn't argue since he looked at Kaiser where alot of other patients could hear. Our old vet told us that sometimes it is better that sores dry and create a scar 'pad', thusly toughening up the skin like on dogs elbows. If the elbow is kept soft and supple, it just keeps a new sore going but if it is allowed to callous, it can take the wear and tear. So, I think this may be what the vet's thoughts are about. Still, we haven't used more peroxide.
Kaiser has been wearing a padded bra 24/7 with great success. I've kept Rescue Remedy cream and/or Neosporin on the sore. We've used the suggested oatmeal poultice which has also helped heal and likely sooth the sore. The raw and red sore has healed from bigger than a quarter to the size of a penny in a week! I was in a hurry and bought aquarium silicone at the big box pet store to 'glue' in the memory foam and gel show inserts into the bra cup as additional padding and give sort of a flap as the bra edge is close to but not quite covering the sore. The silicone is holding fairly well, but is beginning to peel some. Machine washing is out and handwashing only takes a few minutes. Since I glued up 3 bras, we have enough for rotation. I think the memory foam will prove a better pad than the blue gel type insert.
I realy goofed and first tried latex silicone because we had some at home. Well, it dawned on me about 10 minutes later that latex silicone will just wash out in 2 or 3 washings. So, I hurried and rinsed it away, left all to dry out then went and got the aquarium silicone. RTV (generally used on autmotive applications) is pretty much the same thing.
More good news is that so far, Kaiser can piddle and have a bowel movement and not mess his bra at all!
I wish there were a better way to keep the bra on, the suspenders through his collar is OK and it's not so tight it pulls, but he surely is aware of it. KAiser is a good boy and hasn't fussed with his apparatus.
My vet also suggested the diapers but confirmed if Kaiser piddles in the diaper and it stays wet that could lead to diaper rash. That IS a realistic option for weekends to give him a break from the bra.
Everyone's ideas and links has helped us in so many ways I really do appreciate it. This helps us to be more creative and maybe have a couple of options. I think Kaiser will have to wear some sort of padding the remainder of his life if we are to avoid these sores. I'm OK with that as long as he is and we will find ways to keep him comfy.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Years from now, we will be scratching our heads, tryin to remember who gave that brilliant idea of using aquarium silicone!
You are GENIUS! I have enjoyed your updates so much, because you are always thinking thinking thinking outside the box and finding answers that work and that would not occur to the rest of the planet! I love your posts!

Edited to add: AngelTillman isn't used to massage and isn't used to a lot of hands on, he withdraws when I try. So I gently stroke him and he loves that. We are making baby steps towards hands on dog, and he has such a funny grunt when we have TillmanTime. Evidently he was a yard dog? I don't know, wish he could talk. But I keep it up every day, I do massage the back of his neck, but he is so frail and fragile, I don't know what might still hurt from being slammed by a car, so it's slow go, but he does love a light massage and it is a great bonding time for both of us.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

It takes a village to raise a dog! Thanks so much, if any little tidbit helps someone else then yahoo! If the other poster hadn't mentioned silicone on socks, I'd probably be trying to glue Velcro on or something silly! I am honored that the word genius was mentioned, may I print this and paste to hubby's mirror-LOL? I've decided there is a pandemic of genius when it comes to helping our furry companions. When (most) people really want something it is amazing what they can devise to accomplish the task at hand. I am grateful I was allowed to tinker with mechanical things as a kid, I'd rather be handy than helpless. I have to be creative like that at work so one gets used to looking at things with the idea of re-engineering it.

I've been massaging, scruffing his fur and skin to simulate shaking and using a big rubber tooth dog brush. I think it was made to use while washing but it gives a brisk skin tickle but isn't harsh like a steel brush. Kaiser does love that!

I so hope your AngelTillman continues to improve and that he comes to enjoy more hands on time. Bless your heart for the love and care you are offering him. I know that gaining that trust, confidence and a bond is so important, especially for one who may have been in less than ideal circumstances and healing through such trauma. I wish Tillman all the best. Shall we call you the next Bond girl? :wink:
oldcargirl

Post by oldcargirl »

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd post an update regarding our 15 year old Belgian Malinois. I had received so much good advice when he first had vestibular disease and we observed the pressure sores I wanted to put up some good news. I also wanted folks to know this solution has worked long term.

It's been just over a year now (coming up on a year since our other boy went into cardiac arrest and was discovered he has Addison's disease) Anyway, Kaiser is still wearing a bra like I had him model in the photos. THe vestibular diease has not entirely subsided but it is significantly better but he isn't getting any younger and the hip degeneration continues. We try to take off the apparatus on the weekends ( so long as he's indoors) to give him a break from the harness and suspenders. Wthout them the bra has drooped and I don't want him to trip and fall. I have resized him from a 36C to a 34C since his legs and rump are thin now. The bra was causing some very mild chafng on his penile area so we bought a sheepskin steering wheel cover-they have velcro sewn the entire length. We simply cut a 4" section and wrapped around the bra 'back' and Voila!

Because he drags his front paws a bit when he rises he now wears some paw wrap on the wrist area as scrape protection.

He is quite mobile and although very cautious on the stairs (the other three race down them) he moves about at will. When we come home in the evening he actually runs across the yard! He still gets stuck if he lies down on the Marmoleum floor and our house is still paved with throw rugs and runners but it is so worth it! We didn't think he would recover from the vestibular episode. He enjoys his 3 siblings and although he has a few cranky moments, we are so grateful to still have him to love.

This site has so may nice people and so many inspriring stories! I am certainly not much of an active poster but I do appreciate those who are and the positive messages an information available here.

HAve a wonderful weekend and think only of the good memories of our faithful friends who are no longer with us.

Kelley and Kaiser, Trixie, Sid Vicious and Scout
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

oldcargirl wrote:I have resized him from a 36C to a 34C since his legs and rump are thin now. The bra was causing some very mild chafng on his penile area so we bought a sheepskin steering wheel cover-they have velcro sewn the entire length. We simply cut a 4" section and wrapped around the bra 'back' and Voila!
Had to laugh when I read about the resizing! I like the steering wheel cover idea because they sell them everywhere, so anybody should be able to find them, that's a good one.

I am so impressed that at his age and with his size, he can still get up by himself. That is wonderful. Glad to hear things are going so well for him.
oldcargirl wrote:HAve a wonderful weekend and think only of the good memories of our faithful friends who are no longer with us.
The same to you! :D And I will be putting out flowers... :)
whitepuppy

Post by whitepuppy »

I have a 14 yr. old mixed breed that can't walk. I found a pressure on her hip where she turns in circles to move around. I have treated it for a few months and tried everything I could think of to help it. I found that it''s healing up now very good. First go to your beauty dept. in any store, but they pad to clean your fase of makeup. They come in a large pack. mosty round. Take two of them one on top of the other and cut the round sides off. that leaves you with a long piece left. place triple anti bi. ontment on it and cove with a large squard band aid. this stops it from rubbing on anything and lets it heal better. My dogs sure is just about gone think God. but I still do this twice a day to make sure it doesn't come back.