Quality of Life...

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
SareBear0728

Quality of Life...

Post by SareBear0728 »

Hi All! Newbie here. I need some advice, so here is our story...

A couple weeks ago a senior yellow lab dragged himself (literally) up our driveway. He was strong in his front half, but he was very weak with his back two legs. He has good days and bad. Some days he will use his back legs and walk more than others. He takes a minute to get himself up and situated, and he can use his back legs as long as he walks slowly and no quick turns. Otherwise, he goes down in the back end. Vet says severe hip dysplasia, veterinarian physical therapist says DM.

I feel bad for him (Bogey) because I can see in his face he is frustrated. He doesn't have much control over his bladder/bowels, but we have been making do for the time being with a belly band and the occasional clean up. But I'm constantly asking myself if I should keep him here in this state. I don't want to make the decision to put him to sleep because he still is here very much so in his personality. He is aware of everything around him, likes carrying his tennis ball and even rolls on the floor with my other dog to "rough-house."

I'm still contemplating the idea of a wheel chair too because he still has partial mobility in the back and I feel like that will completely be lost if he becomes dependent on a wheel chair. I would appreciate any advice from anyone! :thankyou:

Thanks,
Sarah Johnson and Bogart (Bogey)
critters
Founding Member

Re: Quality of Life...

Post by critters »

:slant: How good of you to take him in!! :angel: I'd consider a quad (4-wheeled) cart to give him some mobility.There are homemade plans here at HP, and you might be able to find a welder who'd make one cheaper. Unfortunately, high school welding classes probably wouldn't be much help in July. :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

If you get a wheelchair and fix it in the walking position with all 4 feet on the ground, he will have to continue to use his hind legs, but he will have support there if he loses his balance or falls. During this time while he still has the ability to walk unassisted, you could use the cart for longer walks, but let him do the shorter walks by himself or with a sling.

Since you mentioned the belly band, I wanted to show you what I did with my dog. I sewed strap handles on the belly band, it was a huge help.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Male_wrap_with_handles

Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

critters wrote::slant: How good of you to take him in!! :angel: I'd consider a quad (4-wheeled) cart to give him some mobility.There are homemade plans here at HP, and you might be able to find a welder who'd make one cheaper. Unfortunately, high school welding classes probably wouldn't be much help in July. :D
Why a quad? She says he is strong in the front.

I definitely think a cart would be good, and as long as it allows his feet to be down and used, he won't lose any ability to walk. In fact, it might help. Inside he is probably still going to be on his own and will use his legs as much as he can. Putting down mats so he doesn't slip will help him to keep on using them.

If it is DM, though, he'll lose it eventually anyway. If it is HD, some good pain killers and supplements should give him relief relatively soon.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I forgot to say, there is a genetic test for DM. That might be worth doing- it is $65 and is a simple cheek swab that you can do at home.

http://www.offa.org/dnatesting/

If you order one, bookmark the page with your order status, and a few days after you send your swab back you'll see it changed from "Sent" to "Received" and then the results will be posted. If your dog is anything but "At Risk" then he probably does not have DM.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Bobbie wrote:
Why a quad? She says he is strong in the front.
Just because it seems like it'd be the most useful long-term if he's that old and having so many problems. While he might be strong in the front now, that could change quickly, and if he's old he might appreciate the extra help, like old humans and their walkers with seats. :D
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

True, but a quad cart is much, much harder to use and won't do as much terrain, and that can be discouraging. Many carts can have front support added later if it is needed.
Bobbie Mayer
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Quality of life is certainly a big concern for anyone with a handipet, no matter what age or type. Sure sounds like your boy is, as you say yourself, very much there in personnality.

Generally the way we measure things here is by the pet's attitude. If they are cheerful and wanting to participate in life, we keep doing whatever we can. if they are depressed and we cannot get them to cheer up, if they have lost interest in the things we know they enjoyed, then we know it is time.

It is great of you to take this boy in, he obviously chose the right driveway to come up! While we don't have dog experience in this house, we do have a lot of quality-of-life experience ranging many ages and medical issues in cats.

I'm glad you found us and hope to hear more about Bogey!

headbonks & purrrs

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"