Lift harness to put sheltie in car/carry up steps?

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
urbn_hmstdr

Lift harness to put sheltie in car/carry up steps?

Post by urbn_hmstdr »

Hello, my Dad has a senior sheltie who has arthritis. He would like to have some sort of harness that she can wear that will allow him to pick her up more easily to put her in his vehicle or to carry up a few steps. Preferably that can be connected to seat belt system in car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-MKJ in WA
critters
Founding Member

Re: Lift harness to put sheltie in car/carry up steps?

Post by critters »

:slant: There have been MANY rave reviews here for Hartman (Hartmann?) harnesses, but I'm not sure if they can be used with seatbelts. Stick around, and you'll probably get suggestions!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

You might see if a seatbelt harness works well on its own- some people have found that to be the case, and it would certainly make it easier for use in the car.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
urbn_hmstdr

Post by urbn_hmstdr »

Thanks!

I was looking at the seat belt harnesses on the website, and couldn't see if they had any kind of handles on the back so you could carry the dog with both hands? Any suggestions as far as a brand/model of harness?

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Don't know if they make the Hartman for a dog this small but you could ask. If they do, it would be exactly what you want. If not, I think I'd go with a standard chest harness (the nylon kind they sell at every pet store) and for the rear get a belly harness. That way your dad will have 2 places to grab. The chest harness can stay on all the time. The belly harness is easy to put on and take off as needed, they're velcro.
urbn_hmstdr

Post by urbn_hmstdr »

Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. : )