we are letting Bernard go

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

we are letting Bernard go

Post by Bendy Kitty »

after his fluids & meds today he still looked very very bad.
if mom approaches him holding anything, he shies away.
He doesn't even want to get up.
Mom says she could keep him lingering for awhile but that is not fair to him. He is 20, his poor body can't recover very well. We have some pain meds to keep him comfy.

poor Bernard, grieved himself to death :(
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
LisainCAN

Re: we are letting Bernard go

Post by LisainCAN »

Bendy Kitty wrote:poor Bernard, grieved himself to death :(
What happened? Why is he grieving?

I am sorry for your loss but 20 is a very respectable age. You did wonders.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Bernard was left at a county shelter about a month ago with the pathetic excuse of "allergies" at the age of 20. He develoepd a URI and stopped eating.
we took him in and got his URI cleared, but he refused to eat. He hid most of the time and every effort to help him has failed.

he is a great example of what happens when someone dumps a senior cat.
He seemed to repsond to mom, but it was not enough. He misses his family too much, he doesn't know what happened to his world but he does not want to stay.
He is lying on his side breathing easily thanks to the pain meds. He looked at mom when she patted him. She feels he will be gone soon.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
SAR01

Post by SAR01 »

my heart is breaking for Bernard. someone abandoned a senior cat near here last winter, (I didn;t know it was abanonded OR a senior cat,) it would run when I went outside but it was staying under a loose porch board.

I finally was able to drop meat through cracks and he ate. one day, after the worst of winter with chills below 0.. he let me touch him. on that one instant of trusting me, I found he had not only been neutered, he had been declawed and had no teeth. Someone just threw him away.... he was a bag of bones and looked up at me and I cried. I have never just grabbed a stray and took them right into my house... but I did with this old cat...after 2 month of my feeding and loving him, he was a different cat.. and I figure I was taking this old cat in to die but not abandoned and alone. I am holding you and your mom and bernard in my thoughts and prayers. and "Mr Benjamine Spot" sends his prrrrrrs too.
raiders mom

Post by raiders mom »

Poor Kitty...how could someone just leave their friend like that..especially after 20 yrs.I could NEVER do that..no matter what..People are so cruel...it makes me sad to be a human..these animals give us their unconditional love and then are just thrown away..IHATE IT...now here I go crying again...I only came today to light another candle for Xena,Pilea,Toby and one for Buddy and Boris(my Sisters cat) Bernard was lucky to have found Bendy's house where they love kitties and would NEVER hurt one..My heart is broken again....