Vestibular Disease

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
critter1971

Vestibular Disease

Post by critter1971 »

My 16 year old black Lab was just diagnosed with vestibular disease. We have taken her home and she is finishing her medication. She is improving little by little. How long are dogs usually affected by the disease that they can't walk straight and their head tilts? She can sit up, but when she tries to get up and walk she falls over. When assisted she walks to the left or attempts to walk in a circle. Is there anything we can do to help assist her?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Vestibular Disease

Post by critters »

:slant: How is she now? There've been a few critters around the bb with vestibular problems; did you try a search?
janeiro1

Post by janeiro1 »

Hi,
I am sorry to hear that your dog has vestibular disease. My young dog suffered from central vestibular disease. There are actually several types of vestibular disease ceck out the internet.(central vestibular disease, periphal vestibular disease etc). I think that your dog probably has the type that is common in older dogs and not quite so serious (geriatric vestibular syndrome). My dog suffered a brain lesion at four years old and did not walk for a year. She knocked four teeth out during the first signs of the illness at the vets and remained sedated for two weeks. She was completely paralysed except for her mouth. I found information about this disease at www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/devestib.html also at http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/vestibular/vestib.htm. Hopefully your dog has the mild form and will get better quickly. Check out the causes although sometimes there is no known cause. Check for inner ear infections too. my neuro vet told me to leave her outside where she could see the horizon as she was seeing a distorted image of the world. She would only lay on her left side and would violently flip to the other side if you forced her onto the right side. All four paws knuckled under if you put her on her feet. Her cure was long and painfully hard work for her and me. However, with patience your dog will get better and probably a lot quicker than mine. Sometimes just days or weeks.
Do you know which type of vestibular disease it is? This disease is quite common I have since met a lady who had a poodle with geriatric vestibular disease. Central vestibular disease is not so common. The neurologist could never explain why it happened to her. He said it could have been a reaction to immosol a drug given to her by a vet for tick disease. It could have been the result of an inner ear infection, or the result of killing and playing with a certain type of lizard here in Brazil, or none of these things. In the end she is nearly normal she seems to have a curved spine and she is slower than she was. But, hey! she is walking and happy. She didn`t like walking on smooth surfaces and still doesn`t. On grass she is fine. On Christmas day 2006 she managed to walk from her bed to the lawn to pee on her own and made us all cry. It was the best Christmas gift ever. You can see a picture of her at www.janeiro-emmy.blogspot.com
I am writing a book about her and my other thirteen rescus dogs here in Brazil and also trying to raise funds to do more for all those still on the streets.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I didn't realize there were several variations, that's interesting. :)
Christine

Post by Christine »

I was wondering how things are going too.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08