Any advice for elderly cat, getting vaguer?

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Qathe

Any advice for elderly cat, getting vaguer?

Post by Qathe »

Hi, I have a 16 year old cat named Coquie. He's gotten thinner over the last couple of years although still within the normal range. He's gotten quite vocal though, especially at night, and I'm wondering if it's normal or a bit of kitty senility setting in. We have had to move rather frequently in recent years so I'm sure that's not helping. I'm working on more stability for us but in the meantime, is there any way to help calm him and make him happy? He was on prozac which helped some but it constipated him, to the point he had to stay overnight at the vet's and be unblocked. $117 for an enema. *sigh*

His bloodwork was normal except that it looks like he has the beginnings of renal failure. The vet doesn't consider him to be a candidate for any really invasive diagnostics.

Coquie still enjoys a daily walk on his leash and harness, and is quite affectionate though he's not big on playing with his toys anymore. Likes to mostly either look out the window, watch TV (Animal Planet, of course) and nap. I've used a Feliway diffuser and it seems to help somewhat. I'd like to do all I can for him tho I'm not rich.

I appreciate any suggestions...

Pax et Catnip,

Cathy
critters
Founding Member

Re: Any advice for elderly cat, getting vaguer?

Post by critters »

If he's not deaf, I'd say senility as my 2nd guess, or maybe even both. Deafness makes them loud because they can't monitor the loudness of their voices, and senility can make for day/night confusion (like humans). My deaf, ancient MamaCat likes to sing in the evenings when she's happy, and it sounds like she's in the bedroom, even when she's downstairs. :mrgreen:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Any advice for elderly cat, getting vaguer?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I went through this 5 and a half years ago and I revisited ... My son's Ancient kitty was probably 18 or more at this time:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1831&p=7600&hilit=+starr#p7600

It had a VERY happy and then sad ending ...

She made a complete recovery at:

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=%2Bs ... 0&start=30

She was pining for her boy, who never could stand needles, having grown up with them all his life.

She made a complete recovery when I told Andy he needed to take her and spend time with her, because my treatments were not making any difference. I came over with Starr, her bag of fluid, a supply of humongous needles and I taught him how to sub-q. He could not do it and refused to. She made a COMPLETE recover at the link above. He moved to a pet friendly apartment and died a few months later. Starr went to TN with my sister and her son. And she died with them, as did Artie.

Here is a glorious photo of Artie holding StarrBaby:

I have Andy's chalk drawing of Starr on my old fried computer. He did this probably in 10th or 11th grade. Iwill see if I posted it anywhere here.

GOT IT! Had posted on another website, and FOUND IT!
Artie-Sig-Starr.jpg
Attachments
Starr!.jpg
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/