12yr lab with severe hip dysplasia advice needed immediate!

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
suziq3677

12yr lab with severe hip dysplasia advice needed immediate!

Post by suziq3677 »

I am hoping someone can offer some advice on what to do. I have 12 yr old whom I resuced 10yrs ago, he is my baby. He was diagnosed about 4 years ago with hip dysplasia, I have maintained with joint supplements, vitamins, and canine asprin. This summer it has progressively worsned, and with the cold weather has him paralyzed now with a pinced nerve. My vet and I are trying Prednisone & Trammadol to ease the pain and help him walk. However, he weak in the front end as well. I have considered a wheelchair but I am unsure, the toll it has taken on my daughter and I so far is hard. I am trying to do the best I can for him, I work and I am out of the house about 9 hours of the day, I rotate him when I am home & get him up in a rear support sling and let him stand for a few minutes at a time. I am also a single mom who works two jobs, I worry about bed sores, stiffness & he still goes urinates & has bowel movements but I leave puppy pads under him so I am concerned over sanitary issues for him when I am not there. I'm considering a wheelchair, but unsure if the benefits of the cost overcome the fact that I"m not there 24/7 to assist and get him up and about as much as he could be or should be. I have never had a dog with a disability before, and I'm starting to think he's hanging on for my sake. Please I could use some advice.

Reliabe in Texas
CarolC

Re: 12yr lab with severe hip dysplasia advice needed immediate!

Post by CarolC »

Hi suzyiq3677,

I am very sorry, I do not know how I missed seeing your post. I first joined and posted on December 31 several years ago (during the holidays like you) and I can't imagine where I'd be if nobody had answered me. I'm sorry.

The wheelchair is still a good idea, even if you are not home all the time. Most people have to work, but even if you put him in it for half an hour after work, it will be good for him. It is good for the body to be in the correct upright position, and it is very good for the circulation to get him up instead of lying down all the time. It is true wheelchairs are not cheap, however you will be able to resell it when you are done and get most of your money back. There are many more people in need of secondhand wheelchairs than there are wheelchairs available.

You need to evaluate him carefully to determine if he needs a 2-wheel cart or a 4-wheel (quad) cart. My dog was not strong in the front either, and we had to use a 4-wheel cart with him. Then there was the trick of getting him into it. I had to use an engine hoist, I could not lift him. A 4-wheel cart is not as easy to resell as a 2-wheel cart, but you will be able to sell it eventually, and also it costs more. In addition, it does not give the dog the freedom they get with a 2-wheel cart. He will not really be able to buzz around the backyard in a 4-wheel cart. There is something in between called a counterbalanced cart. That is a cart balanced to take part of the weight off the front feet. It may work if he is weak in front but not terribly weak. I would call or email some of the cart manufacturers and get their advice on what your dog needs. I can only say that 12 is very old for a lab...if you cannot afford a cart or are physically unable to do the lifting and care needed, it is not your fault. I do not recommend lifting more than you can do safely.

I am glad he still has bowel and bladder control. At the first sign of loss of bladder control, I suggest you get him malewraps. :malewrap: They will prevent him from wetting the bedding and getting urine on his skin that can cause sores. If you want more information about malewraps, please ask me, I had a big dog in malewraps for over 2 years, they saved us.

I had to rotate my dog, too, and I worked full time, too. It takes a lot of work and dedication to keep doing it, but having a healthy dog is the reward. My dog never got sores under my care, like you I rotated him and helped him walk with a sling.

I hope this helps a little, and hopefully Bobbie will be by soon.

:welcome:
dsd1963

Post by dsd1963 »

Sorry to reply so late. I just now joined. I have a 14 yr. old German Shepherd with severe hip dysplasia as well.

We have done the under water tredmill. Not bad, it did help years ago.

Swimming is the best for the old hips. I get in with him and make him to the most rang of movement he can handle for 10 mins. than let him have a break then do it again for another 10 mins. 2-3 times a week.

We just did stem cell replacement 7 months ago. YES! good results. Not perfect, but I really believe he would not be here without it. Now I'm looking for a wheelchair. He's okay walking it's the stopping and standing. His rear end just falls down. I have a 2 yr. old for him to chase around. The 2 year old really made a difference as well.

Now... as far as drugs go... He can not have rimadyl it makes him deathly ill. I have him on Osteo Bi-Flex 2 pills a day, Vitamin E 2 times a day. That's it. We did to the tramadol for over a year. I wish we had never done it. He was too (stoned) out of it the whole time. I do have baby beds all over the house for him to lay on. I also keep him covered with a throw or a couple of towels to keep him warm and keep the blood flowing through those old hips.

I'm always looking for tips to make his life better!
Good Luck and keep in touch. I hope I helped a little bit.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: dsd!