Golden Retriever

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Carlene Ridenour

Golden Retriever

Post by Carlene Ridenour »

My husband thinks I am nuts but I have fallen in love with this Golden Retriever tied up all day (never releashed for anytime or any reason to just walk around)with only food and water. He has a grey muzzle so must be old. I want so much just to take him home with me and take care of him as long as he has left. My heart is breaking as I watch him watch and wait for a pat on the head. My husband says he probably has heartworms, cancer or worse and it will be our financial downfall. I have 3 little dog rescues that are happy and cared for and in my house and my bed. I am a hopeless, lover of animals and need advise soooooooo badly. Please help!!!!!
Christine

Re: Golden Retriever

Post by Christine »

:welcomepink:

You sound just like a friend of mine who stops and goes into people's yards to pet the tie outs. Most of the time, it is not a problem, but sometimes people get offended. I totally know where you are coming from. Have you ever stopped to talk to the owners to get the full story? Is it possible that you are passing by at the same time during the day and they are at work and the dog comes in at night? (Hoping here.) Perhaps, stop by to ask if you can bring him/her a treat and a pet? Introduce yourself and let them know how much of an dog lover you are and how you pass by and just want to bring him something.

It could be that you will feel better about the situation or that the people would offer him/her to you. As far as convincing your husband...you are on your own, but if you are already rescuing, I am sure you've done it before.

We'd love to hear more.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

yes I was wondering to , is the dog still with owners? do you know who they are?
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Custody is a sticky issue. We just had a case in Savannah a few weeks ago where a woman was arrested for theft and trespassing for rescuing a severe case of neglect. Of course, had she called AC, they probably would have confiscated and PTS.
I would recommend the following: Talk to the owners. Tell them you really love their old guy. That always sets a nice tone. Tell them you are lonely and would love to adopt him from them for the company. Assure them you would give him a good home. If you come off accusatory, you kick in their defense system.

If they say no, then call AC and hope for the best.

A senior is really the perfect dog. HW can be treated by the monthly preventative. An initial wellness exam and treatment is no more for a senior than a disease riddled puppy rescue.

The Savannah case, BTW, charges were dropped by the judge with a warning. Her fines were waived. Her attorneys fees were donated by her attorney to animal rescue.

You don't want to go through what she went through, arrest, handcuffs, booking, mugshots and f/p, and trial.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/