Quint is 14 years old

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
sandyc799

Quint is 14 years old

Post by sandyc799 »

he's in pretty good health.He eats well-abit on the chubby side.I feed him Science Diet R/D.Anything else and he gains weight.
I'm wondering if he should have a dental domne,at his age-or not?
His muzzle was swelled up about a week ago.I got him to the vet.Put him on antibiotics and I even got more.Once he is done with the antibiotics,the vet wants to do a dental.It COULD have been his teeth,OR it could have been an allergic reaction to eating something,etc.
At Quint's age,I'm just scared to put him under.What is the opinion of those of you on here,with elderly dogs????
I don't want to have them knock him out and lose him.He's the greatest guy!I also wonder about changing his food,or just leaving well enough alone.
Thanks!
CarolC

Re: Quint is 14 years old

Post by CarolC »

Did Quint allow the vet to look in his mouth and see if there was a problem? My personal feeling is to leave well enough alone if he is eating OK and drinking OK and the swelling is gone, but I am not a vet and I don't really have a good reason for saying that. I have had 2 dogs with cancers in the mouth that had to be removed, but there was not any particular swelling. Perhaps your vet saw a bad tooth that really needed to be taken care of? Here is a website that discusses dental care for senior dogs with information on anaesthesia.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.fr.html

:confetti:
Joan

Post by Joan »

Quite often with bad or decaying teeth, the dog will have very bad breath. If he does have periodontal disease, it can afect his kidneys and the bladder which tries to clear the infection. A quick bit of tranquilizer, and your vet should have a pretty good idea of whether it is necessary to go any further. If you have ever had an infected tooth, you know how much that can bother you. I would at least have him checked.
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Thanks for the link!Quint will eat NO MATTER what!I didn't even notice his muzzle was swelled,until AFTER he ate his breakfast.
Got him into the vet that morning and he LOVES all the attention he gets.
Loves everyone!Strangers are just friends he hasn't met yet!!!!
He was fine with the exam,but one of his teeth is nasty looking.I'll check out the link,and see what they say.
My vet thinks we should do it,but I've lost 3 dogs,a friend and my Dad,in 16 months.Just TRYING to be a good dogmom,but really scared of putting him under.
Thanks!