Age, Arthritis, Displasia...

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
FourDogMa

Age, Arthritis, Displasia...

Post by FourDogMa »

My CJ is getting up in years... but has been older than her years for some time now with assorted knee (ACL) and hip issues. We are finally leaving a cold climate for a warmer one (yay!) and soon hope to get her the surgery she needs on her hip to live out her years in comfort. She has lost so much muscle tone in her rear end that she is quite weak, yet still wants to dance and play. I'm going to be looking for a wheelchair for her, short-term, and hope to add swimming to her regime to add strength after surgery. Any thoughts on best types/styles of (hopefully) temporary support? I never knew there were so many! CJ is 9 yrs young and weighs around 60 US pounds. Thanks!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Age, Arthritis, Displasia...

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, I have no exp.w/carts, so others will weigh in. I am so happy you have some bright future! Swimmng should help and also, massage the area to keep blood flow to the muscles and tendons. Can you bicycle the legs? Or find the tickle spot?
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
FourDogMa

Post by FourDogMa »

Thanks! CJ is part Aussie. She looks more Aussie but there must be some Lab in there too, because she is a doofus. You can see all my mess a'pups on dogster.com - CJ, Sula, Annie and Rowdy. They are all rescues and all part of the family! :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Bobbie has LOADS of cart experience, but I agree with GDBPF's swimming suggestion, especially in your new warm climate. Some critters prefer having a lifejacket on while swimming, but others will just go for it.