Pet Stair Lifts...

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Christine

Re: Pet Stair Lifts...

Post by Christine »

Hi Karen,

I have not heard anything back, but it has been a while since I first ask. I just sent Conny a pm asking again. Her original concern was that she wanted to translate them into English for us and I assured her that this was not necessary. Keep your fingers crossed and watch this space for news from Conny and/or a company that will finally realize that this is a viable product.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
tehkaren

Post by tehkaren »

Thanks so much, Christine!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I don't think any company is likely to make one. The problem would be that they would have to make it safe for humans or would be open to liability and the cost of doing that is high enough most pet owners would balk. You can already get a platform lift for stairs, how many pet owners buy one? The only way it would work as an animal product might be if it were an enclosed crate so obviously not meant for humans.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
angler

Post by angler »

To All thanks for keeping this thread going. I think I see a great cottage industry possibility here should someone come up witha safe and affordable doggy lift for our four legged friends. And if someone does, keep me informed.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Sorry, Karen...I have not received a reply or any pictures. I just had this brainstorm. I am going to contact MIT to see if their students would take this on as a project. What a coup it would be for them (and us) if they do this and considering some of the things they come up with, it has to be a simple task. (I will work on this tonight when I get home)
?/1999 - 10/25/08
tehkaren

Post by tehkaren »

Hi Chrisine,

Thanks so much for your help.
I heard from Nule from the Berrywoods Bulldogs

But she did not build it.She was very kind and gave me a description of the lift.
I am not sure if I can repost it here. Can e-mail me at teh.karen@gmail.com so that I can share that with you?

I really hope we can get help for this.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
karen
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

GREAT idea Christine!!!
eltoo

Post by eltoo »

I found this website and don't know if anyone has tried something like this to help transport disabled pets who cannot climb stairs. This was obviously intended for objects, and you'd worry about risk of children (or even adults) climbing into it. But that would be true even if someone installed this just for transporting objects - you would want to ensure there are locks and security to prevent abuse. Could something like this be used for small pets - well below the advertised weight limit of this device?

I see from the video that there are two guide-wires that stabilize the cage as it moves up/down. Perhaps you'd want four guidewires - one for each corner of the cage - for greater stability. That would seem to be a minor modification.

Short of a people elevator or a vertical lift intended for disabled people - both of which are very expensive - I haven't found anything else on-line.

http://www.powerox.biz/home.htm?gclid=C ... tgodCw0dzQ
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thank you for sharing this site and your idea. I am writing to them this morning in the hope that they might consider a design with our needs in mind. Ideally, something that could work inside, but the outside version could work for some. I have written to several stair lift companies and MIT with no response; perhaps this company will be our answer.

:welcomeheart:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
lina

Post by lina »

Hi,
its really happens, when dogs are getting old they are not so active and sick of many things.
Christine

Post by Christine »

If you stick around, you will see that that is not always, and many times, never the case. :snoopy:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
PowerOx

Post by PowerOx »

My name is Randy Boone and I've started a company called PowerOx....which is a motorized lift/hoist sytem capable of lifting various objects such as groceries, wood, furniture, suitcases, etc from one floor to the next. I installed one at my house and posted a short video on the first page so you can see it in operation; please go to www.powerox.biz. Christine Hubal contacted me a week or so ago and shared with me .ndicappedpets.net...which increased my awareness of and made me realize that my product might be a good solution for pets who are handicapped or have diminished ability . She asked me if the baskets I weld could be modified or redesigned for certin pets with special needs....as nearly every pet will have its unique limitations. I fabricate the PowerOx basket at my shop and would certainly be open make modifications...ie) length, width, height, add a cage door, additional guide wires for stablity, etc.

I would consider it a privledge and an honor to work with those of you who are interested to help find a solution for transporting your pet up a set of interior stairs, or for lifing them up to a second story. Please visit my web site @ www.powerox.biz. We have introductory pricing listed on the site, and all customizations will need to be disucssed and priced separately.

I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you!

Randy Boone
PowerOx
Christine

Post by Christine »

Glad you made it, Randy! :thankyou: Can't wait to see what we can come up with. I really appreciate your getting back to us - so far, you are the only company to even consider this idea. :welcomeheart:
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, it's truly unusual for somebody to take an interest in helping our handicappers. :thankyou:
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I took a look at those but can't imagine it being legal with the cables out in the open and nothing to keep it from landing on a child.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels