Mysti sick

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
petJill13.8

Mysti sick

Post by petJill13.8 »

Hi
A post in early May didn't make it... the scanned lab report was too big.(Tumor removal surgery in late April). But surgery# 4 went well... 4 incisions, 1 benign growth, 1 hernia repair, 1 pre -cancer, 1 cancer. Recuperation was much slower this time ... redness and swelling for more than a week. But she regained her stamina and her love for walks, petting, and car rides. Until Sunday... at lunch she was restless and wanted "out"... We thought she spotted a neighbor's cat outside. I took her out later and she pulled hard to get out of the yard. Up the street she had liquid diarrhea then shortly later threw up most of breakfast. Not much urine output on the return to home. No interest in food till late evening. I gave her small quantity of rice, chicken, and a little soft kibble. A bit more diarrhea before bed and Monday am. She wanted to chew grass Monday am but has no interest in food all day. She has had a little water. Her energy level is low. She is plodding on her walks and she has been sleeping most of the day. From 11:30 am till 4 pm she never moved and I finally petted her to make sure she was still breathing! She was thankfully!
Any suggestions on what to do for intestinal problems would be most helpful. How do you know if a dog is dehydrated? Thanks for any help.
Mysti's Mom
Attachments
MystiLaundryBed.jpg
CarolC

Re: Mysti sick

Post by CarolC »

Here is a link on dehydration.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dehydratio ... page1.aspx

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/articles/dehydration.htm

For diarrhea I have always heard to fast them for 24 hours, then give plain rice. I hope she just has a touch of pancreatitis or something. If that's the case they recommend a low fat diet and sometimes antibiotics. I guess your vet will be open for regular business hours tomorrow? Bless her heart, I hope she can just sleep it off. What a good girl to hold it till she went outside, I'll bet that wasn't easy. :angel:
Christine

Re: Mysti sick

Post by Christine »

Sending healing prayers for your sweet girl.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08