My ancient kitty Tricks

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
sandyc799

My ancient kitty Tricks

Post by sandyc799 »

Is STILL here!I am constantly amazed.Still thinking she is around 26 years old.Got a dilemma.Should I bathe her?She may not particularly enjoy it,but the kitty litter sticks to her fur.I'm having alot of trouble keeoping her rear end clean.Will no doubt have to get my brother's help again,to shave her down abit.VERY long nasty fur.
It's so hard to brush her,I always think it MUST be hurting her,as she weighs next to nothing.I literally have to hold her up,to brush her.But,she seems to enjoy it.
She does NOT seem to be in ANY pain.Just senile,has been for years.
IF I do bathe her,is there a recommended shampoo???
I've used different litters,went with arm and hammer stuff.Any kind seems to just stick to her feet,and belly fur.I think her feet are damp after she uses the box.I've even tried just wiping her,but I think maybe I could soak it off of her?
Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated.
She is such a sweet old girl.I want to do the best I can for her.
Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Re: My ancient kitty Tricks

Post by critters »

Hmm. I'd try a bath; she may not find it as objectionable as you think. Butt wipes are another possibility for a quick bath. I don't bathe my ancient one, but I do wash the spastibaby. She's 4 pounds, so I just put her in the bathroom sink. I just put a little blop of shampoo in the water in the sink, because too much shampoo is too hard to rinse out. When the water is slooshed over her she gets shampoo, and I work it in with my hands. I use nice sniffy stuff from the dollar store so she smells good. After rinsing she gets wrapped in her favorite wooly towels and blankets, etc. (she doesn't maintain body temp very well, so she's cold even this time of year) and gets snuggled until dry. She's not impressed with blow drying, although I use it in the winter.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I had to shave Betsy a number of times, had to be very careful, it is so easy to give them a razor burn with the electric clipper, the old skin is so delicate.

I had the same problem with Betsy, she woud apparently step in her wet spot in the clumping litter and get a real mess between her toes or if she sat. What worked for us was Yesterday's News. It is made of recycled newspaper. There are 2 varieties, one has finer pellets than the other. No problem with it sticking in the fur or to the feet. They sell it at PetsMart, the big Wal-Marts, and if you are lucky they may have it in your grocery store. Also, your vet may carry a small bag because vets will send it home with the owner after declaw surgery.

Eventually Besty found it easier to use the puppy pads around the box instead, that was fine with me. :wub:
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Thanks!Never checked out Yesterday's News cat litter.I believe I'll get some and try it.
I will try giving her a bath.Gotta do something to get the yuckies off her.Appreciate the advice!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:smart: Good idea about changing litter; I didn't even think of that! We use pine pellet horse bedding because it's cheaper at about $5.25 for 40 pounds than Pine Fresh litter. It doesn't stick either.
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

Can't find the yesterday's news stuff,got the pine.That's all walmart had,so we'll see how that goes.
Thanks for the advice.I just hope to keep Tricks happy and healthy as long as possible.CLEAN would be nice,too!
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

Pine does a slightly better job on odor than the Yesterdays News. Petco and Petsmart have it, looking at 14 bucks for 30lbs or so for it. I work for Petco and it's one of my big sellers for both kittens and older cats that need this texture.

Shampoo-wise, something that is for kitten is preferable. I use soap-free for animals like this so I don't strip their already fragile skin of all it's oils.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

We really like the pine kitty litter!It can't really stick to her,so cleaning up is easier.I still hope to bathe her.We'll see how that goes.Thanks for the info about the kitty litter!!!!!
sandyc and kids
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

We are both STILL hanging in there.Poor baby,she somtimes forgets to go all the way,into the catbox.I actually saw her doing this.Finally.Sometimes,if I'm quick enough I can gently push her other leg into the catbox.She always potties facing the back of the box.That's why her table can be peed on.She thinks she's all the way in,but she isn't.
I got her some Nutri-cal,and she LOVES it.Bites at the tube,if I don't get it squeezed out fast enough!It can be quite messy,however.She is getting used to being bathed and cleaned up-I think.
Totally amazing,my babygirl.
Christine

Post by Christine »

What a beautiful thing to have her for so many years! She's lucky to be with you too. Hope you are well.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Every time I see a new post in this thread I dread the worst so I am always so happy to read that she is still here.

WOW. She is one tough cookie.

Lisa.
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

I dread the day I lose her also.I just keep trying,the way she does!
One day,sort of one moment at a time.Everyday with her is a GIFT.I do realize that.
Been telling myself,she can't keep going,but she does.So far,so good.
She's been such a big part of my life,for so long.It is really kinda scary to think about her going on,someday.
I lost 3 dogs in 18 months,so losing another baby would be horrible.I just keep doing the best I can for her each day.
My 14 (almost 14 and a half)year old dog Quint,is doing pretty well,also.
Mixed breeds just seem made of sturdier stuff,I guess.
Thanks for letting me babble about her.Lots of people,even my vet-gets kinda freaked about her and her age.
Old age is NOT a disease,it can come with problems,but we can usually deal with those.
Well,keep on going.Tricks and I continue to do our best.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Awwwwwww, I have just seen your Thread, what great work you are doing there for your lovely Girl. As you say every day is a Gift and this moment in time is all any of us have, so carry on enjoying Tricks. Wishing you all a lovely weekend. Sharon:)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
2Dogs

Post by 2Dogs »

I just joined so I'm just seeing this thread. I own multiple dogs and one older cat. I also use the Yesterday's News liter. I'm a big time "recycler" so not only is it good for my cat but it make me feel like I'm doing something good for the environment too!