New and need some advice on walking aids

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
janew

Re: New and need some advice on walking aids

Post by janew »

If Abby needs a brother or sister & you still want a dobie, ADAPT does ship to outstanding homes like yours if a reasonable flight time is possible. You can email me at jane.wilbur@cox.net for info. if you are interested. I hope sweet Abby is still making incredible progress. We are sending her warm wishes.
jane
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

I wish I had known about this rescue when I was looking! It never occured to me to look so far afield, as I certainly understand why a rescue would not to adopt too far from their homebase.

Oddly enough, Abby is dominant and not really good with other dogs. Big black, active ones in particular make her aggressive, and with submissive, smaller dogs she's quite rude and overbearing. She's not bad with large dogs if they are older, quiet and have what she considers good manners, but I myself had a stroke in the spring and one aging larger dog is all I can handle. :( Thanks for thinking I'm an outstanding home though!

Abby got up my deck stairs by herself today! I hadn't planned on that happening but left a gate open by accident. I was thrilled and she was too I think! I'm starting to believe (hope) a complete recovery is possible.

petJill13.8 thanks for your lovely offer. I'll certainly email for more information!
janew

Post by janew »

Hooray for Abby! she sounds like a trooper. I think she will amaze you with her recovery.
Oddly enough my Lydia also hated big black dogs. One jumped her when she was middle age & after that she was out to show them who was the QUEEN. She was good otherwise as long as the other dog was submissive. Sorry to hear you had a stroke & hope you are doing well.
ADAPT is a special rescue & I can tell you it's whole history, just do not know if it is okay here, since this is a handicapped board, but you can email me & I am happy to share ADAPT.
You are wonderful home. You came here looking to be prepared for Abby's needs, you adopted an old dog that is bumpy & creaky & in poor condition at the time you rescued her, you obviously think the world of her, you rushed to vet with no thought of money only worry for your girl, you have done rescue, that takes a special heart. You can tell, you love & enjoy your furred family & provide great care...that to me is a wonderful home.
Come on Abby ---AMAZE your mama, with your progress!!!
jane
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

I can't believe it. Abby came up the stairs again. Of course I applauded as though she had won the Nobel Prize. She just looked at me as if to say, "Okay...time for you to CHILL. What's the big deal?"

Just one week after such a severe episode and she's come so far. Who knows what she endured in the past so maybe to her this is just another of life's little bumps to get past and forget. Yay Abby!! :D

Jane - PM sent!
2Dogs

Post by 2Dogs »

I'm new here so sorry for being late to the discussion. I have a white westie terrier that has had major mobility problems. She is only 4 years old! She was unable to jump up on the couch or run even. I switched to a science diet mobility food and wow has that made a difference! She can now jump up to the couch. Good luck with all of your pups.
FYI

Post by FYI »

:rainbow: 2Dogs!