New and need some advice on walking aids

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
abbydog2010

New and need some advice on walking aids

Post by abbydog2010 »

Very nice forum here!

My 10 year old dog (not sure of her age, just adopted her last year) came down suddenly yesterday with Vestibular Syndrome - disoriented, couldn't walk, rapid eye movements, nausea etc. Rushed her to the emergency vet. She's still there and of course they have no way of saying for sure how well she will recover. She may come home tomorrow, depending.

I'm worried about helping her walk to go outside and am wondering what kind of harness would be good for this? She's an Aussie/Lab(?) mix, pretty big, about 60lbs and I'm unable to lift her. Towels are fine for an emergency, but not really satisfactory.

I've looked at all the products here but am unsure. I need something that will save my own back, yet be supportive for her.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
CarolC

Re: New and need some advice on walking aids

Post by CarolC »

I think you might want the belly harness. It fastens around the waist with velcro. It has handles so you don't have to lean over so much. I kept a regular chest harness on my dog in case I needed to grab him in the front as well. Hopefully the vestibular syndrome won't last too long.

:confetti:
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

Thank you! I just looked at it again and think your suggestion is a good one! I want my old gal to be comfortable and also not injure my back worse than it already is.

I"m sure I'll be back for more advice.

Thanks also for your good wishes. :)
janew

Post by janew »

Hi,
Vesibular syndrome usually clears with in a week with steroid (prednisolone) & antibiotic therapy, but can stay around for 4 weeks as acute. Sometimes it can cause a permanent head tilt & balance challenges for the life of the dog, but generally resolves fine in a week. The critical thing is nursing care, because it is a 'sea sickness like illness' because up & down are sifting for the pup & causing nausea. It is important to keep them well hydrated, if they can't keep water down or will not drink enough on their own, give them lacated ringers under the skin (sub Q fluids) & feed them tiny meals of boiled hamburger & brown rice 'meat balls' or boiled chicken & rice 'meatballs' , whatever you can tempt her with in small quanties & wait an hour or so, to see if she keeps it down & offer more. The vet should send her with some anti-nausea drugs that will help.
Hoping she does fine fast,
jane
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

I'm going to bring her home in an hour, and her vet says she's eating well but her balance is not great although there's a huge improvement since Sat.!

I asked about the prednisone you mention, but the vet says no.....for the life of me, I can't remember why.

Thanks for the tips - I'll certainly keep them in mind. I've never heard of this illness until now and it's sent me for quite a loop!
janew

Post by janew »

Hi again,
Hope she is doing better! My vet uses Prednisolone with Vestibular Syndrome aka "Old dog syndrome" ( it does sometimes hit middle age animals)because it reduces inflammation & antibiotics in case the inflammation is caused by infection. It is not exactly known (as far as I understand) why this occurs. The general thought is that there is an inflammation of the connection with the inner ear with the brain & causes them to be 'dizzy' & that makes them unbalanced & naseous. That is why nursing care is critical. I dealt with the sudden onset with my 15 yr old dobe x a few years ago. She was better with Pred & Amoxillin in 3 days & the slight head tilt persisted until 3 weeks in.Then she was totally Lydia again. I hope your gal does great quick. I know it is horrible to experience but usually it does resolve. By the way, many thanks & kudos for adopting an older dog!!!
All the best & fingers & paws crossed for pup's quick recovery,
jane
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

How wonderful and encouraging to hear that your Dobe (15!!) recovered so well!

Brought my ol' girl home today. She's a bit wobbly and has a slight head tilt but is so very happy to be home although I really think she enjoyed all the attention at the hospital.

When I was looking to adopt, a 9 year old mutt full of lipomas and arthritis wasn't really high on my "must have" list but her super sweet, happy, loving nature and "never say die" attitude after being neglected and abandoned just stole my heart. I've never been sorry. :D

I can only hope she does as well as your dog did.

This illness is so frightening to owners because the onset is instant and symptoms so dramatic. I can only imagine how scary it is for the dog when their world is spinning around them.
janew

Post by janew »

I agree, it is frightening & many owners bring their dogs in to be PTS because they believe they have had a stroke or 'heart attack' because of the sudden onset. Since it generally strikes older dogs, many owners just opt for euthanasia, because they feel it is not in the dog's best interest, given their age, to do anything or sadly, more often why spend anything on a dog that will die soon... Who knows knows how many are just PTS without be given a little time & meds? She is so lucky you fell for a lumpy, bumpy, creaky pup, in your search for a companion.
I knew what it was & still raced to my emergency vet at a foolish speed at 4 am, because it was my girl & so heartbreaking to witness her confusion & loss of balance.
I think your girl will amaze you in her recovery. I so hope she recovers well...you deserve a HUGE reward for adopting her & gifting her with love & a responsible home. You have done a very fine thing that most people will not by adopting her & I hope she gives joy & love for many more years. Do you have her on anything for the arthritis? What are you feeding her?
jane
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

You're so right. I did rescue for years and saw so many people who didn't want to spend a dime on their pets, especially if the pets had been free or cheap. "It's not worth it", they say, as though a pet is an investment! I once saw someone wanting to kill (I don't call it "euthanization" if it's not done to relieve suffering) her dog merely because it was old and "no fun anymore." It's outrageous.

Racing to the vet was one of the longest rides I ever took! Not knowing about this illness, I thought my Abby might die before I got there...I only really and truly lost it when I watched the vet staff carrying her in on a stretcher. She looked so pitiful and confused.

I don't deserve any awards for adopting a senior dog. She gives back a million times more than I ever gave her and I'm lucky to have such a wonderful girl! :D She's even great with my cats, one of whom is CRF and who loves his "Big sister"!

For the arthritis I've been trying to hold off giving her any strong meds as long as possible. I started her on a supplement called "Health 5000" - a concentrated glucosamine/chondroitin mix, and it has really helped so far. When I got her I could actually hear the bones clicking, but not now and she can walk quite far. She's not really old, but I think she was very neglected judging by the condition she was in when I got her (FILTHY ears, teeth and coat) and may have slept outside in the cold.

I feed her Wellness "Healthy Weight" with a few spoonfuls of canned mixed in. My girl LOVES to eat and her appetite never quit through all this.

It's so nice chatting with others who have been through all this. Not many people are interested in old mutts.. Thanks for caring!

My Abby with her funny marble eyes:
janew

Post by janew »

Wow, she is a cutie! I can see a fun, smart, loving gal in THAT face...brims personality with those funny marble eyes, I also see alot of trust in you & graditude for her 'real' home & it looks like she believes you make the sun rise each morning..& you have for her. You are very lucky she never lost her appetite or vomits after hand feeding. It varies in severeity, I think Abby, thank goodness, had a milder case. Vestibular syndrome is horrible & I think it does cost many dogs more 'golden' time. It so dramatic, folks can not see it resolving or want to spend a dime on an older dog.
You are so right about some people not wanting to spend $ on pets, especially free or older ones, like it is an 'investment'. I have done rescue & vet teched on & off for ~30 yrs. I once had a well heeled woman bring in a 12 yr old black DSH @ the vet clinic I was working at. He looked great & was rubbing on her & her & purring. My answer to the reason for her visit was, I am dropping him off to be put to sleep. I looked at the cat & asked if he was ill. Got, no he is old at 12 yrs. I said a lot of cats live much longer. She looked straight at me & said, I had white carpeting installed today & have NO intention of having the housekeeper coming daily to vacum his hair off my white carpet. I asked if she minded if we placed him...that was fine as long as her new white carpet was pristine. Go figure, it is a moment burned into my brain. That is why I applaud your adoption of Abby. You knew she was older & probably have more health issues than a younger dog.
Wellness is an excellent food. The supplement is good...maybe you could add a 1200mg 'human' fish oil capsule, it is a great anti-inflamatory. My older dog did super with accupunture for arthritis, if you have anyone available nearby( I was a huge skeptic, until a co- worker convinced me to give it a shot, because it was really helpfull with her dog)it really helped my girl.
It is nice, to find others who love their old mutts & understand they are 'priceless' to us & care. Your Abby is a lucky & special girl, who gives as much as she gets because you gave her 'her time to shine'.
Hopes for Abby fast return to perfect, all paws,claws, hooves & fingers crossed for her here!!!
jane
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Oh how cute is that!
I love the 'white-faces'.
When our beloved dog passed on it took us over a year to adopt a new dog.
I was looking for a senior and my husband didn't want me to go tru a lot we did ( paralysis, incontinence) I really didn't mind,because I feel sorry for the old ones who have no home .
Eventually we have a young one crossing our path, we have him since last January and he probably is 1 year now.
You are an angel for loving this lovely dog.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

The oldies just break my heart. All they want in the world is someone to love them, a warm house, a soft bed and a few squares a day. So little to ask.

Jane you story about the black cat owner is way too common. I have more stories like that than I care to even think about, but here's just one: A man brought his young tomcat to the vet to be killed because he started spraying in the house. The vet offered him the option of having it neutered. The man then asked the difference in cost between killing and neutering. Killing was 10$ less, so he opted for that. Of course the vet called us.

Thanks, puremutt! I'm sure you'll have your dog for so many years to come. I lost my last dog, a super sweet pit bull named Chloe, 3 years before I adopted this one. She was my "heart dog", only 6 and I was too heartbroken to think about another dog. But you know how it is...it's hard to live without a dog!

The fish oil cap....is this just labeled "Fish oil" or is it a certain kind...cod liver..? And yes, I read about acupuncture being helpful and on the subject of the Vestibular, I read that massaging the neck between the back of the head and the shoulders can be helpful in the healing. Anyone heard of this?
it looks like she believes you make the sun rise each morning..&
Funny you should say that. It was my niece who first commented on how attached Abby is to me. But she does something special for me in that she makes me laugh every single day! She's such a funny girl with her constant "talking", coyote howl and accosting strangers for some lovin's. :lol:
She's doing well - only fell once today and is walking very nicely. The rapid eye movements are nearly gone totally.

I'd love to hear about your dog(s)!
janew

Post by janew »

I just use 'human' fish oil capsules. The ~ daily dose is 20mg / 1 lb, so 50lb dog would get 1000mg fish oil capsule. Two of mine just eat it like a treat, the other 2 I have to mash down their gullet or hide in a pill pocket. I also give them each a 'human' flax oil capsule daily.
I have Tasanni (my sweetie is always calling her Tsunami), she came in Sept as 'hospice' foster. She is a huge black & rust Doberman. She was rescued & pulled from a Houston shelter emaiciated, sarcoptic mange, infected skin, heart worm positive & dying. She was rushed to the vet & barely survived. You can see her story & pictures @ adaptrescue.org ( A Doberman Adoption Placement Team) under cyberadoptions. Actually you can see my Jolie there under Success Stories, my very good bad girl. Harry is a black hairy dog, that is the sweetest guy imaginable, but not the brightest bulb in pack. Anna (pronounced the german way 'Onna") is a ~1.5 dobie mix,( I adopted her @12 weeks) I fervently sought thru rescue to keep busy after I lost my 'heart dog' & was drowing in greif. When you take in a puppy, you have do things like take it out frequently & keep it occupied. Kept me busy & sane. Lydia was just a month shy of 16, looked & acted 7 at the most. She had a heart murmur forever, I keep getting sonigrams to moniter it twice a year but she did not even need meds for it. She suddenly devolped a soft in-frequent cough. I called & scheduled the sonigram a month early & ASAP. I thought, she would finally need heart meds & calmed myself by thinking still got lots of time...meds hold off heart stuff for years. Because they could do it the next day, for the 1st time ever I left her, because it was too short of notice, to schedule the day off & I was on standby to testify in court ( I am a forensic scientist). I got the call her heart was the same but the sonigram vet said her lungs should be xrayed. Her lungs were absolutely filled with masses, they looked like they were packed with golf balls. After many vet opinions & trips to several oncologists. They gave her 2 weeks & she gave me 12 more weeks. It is will be 2 yrs May 11. & my heart is still aching & sore. There will never be a another Lydia for me...
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

This is amazing. Dobies are only my favorite breed ever, but I was never able to get one! When I was looking not a single rescue anywhere near me had any and the closest ones in the US would not adopt to me. I ended up with a pit bull because I pitied their plight and of course they're a dime a dozen. Now pit bulls AND Dobies are my top picks!

When I saw the pic of Tasanni I couldn't help but tear up. The poor dear heart - I don't know how she survived the heartworm treatment. I cannot believe the beauty she turned into and such a wonderful and happy ending is so heartwarming.

Jolie is just delightful looking! :D So many dogs in the shelters end up there because people expect them to be born understanding English and to train themselves, then dump them when they don't. And gotta love the people who reject a pet who isn't physically perfect. Maybe they should look in a mirror more often. :roll:

I understand perfectly about Lydia. No dog can ever replace my Chloe either. I"m glad Lydia had such a long life and so much love. So few dogs get either.

I'll definitely get the fish oil! Thanks again!
petJill13.8

Post by petJill13.8 »

Hi
What a great picture of Abby! What wisdom and character in that face.
I have heard that fish oil is good for older dogs and I got some to try with Mysti (our mixed breed rescue age 12+. She has been ours 2 years). I have more than enough and would be happy to share them with you. I also have Mysti on holistic meds that help her joints and add good things to her diet. If you are interested send me an email and I'll give you more info.
ctn13va@hotmail.com
Cheers Mysti's mom