Mysti has new tumor

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
petJill13.8

Mysti has new tumor

Post by petJill13.8 »

Mysti has new tumor
At Vet check up 11/28/10 Mysti’s internal vaginal tumors are status quo @ the same size, but she has a new tumor on her rear left leg... no limping or favoring the leg for now. The tumor will be watched to see if its size increases. Another check up to follow in 2 months. She has a recurring cough and was x-rayed for possible heart trouble. Heart is no problem but she has some restricted airways and the probable diagnosis is chronic bronchitis. For night time cough we can give her 25mg benadryl and cough tablets when needed in the day. At age 12+ and with some cough going on, we wonder about putting her through yet another surgery for the leg tumor. If it is cancer, would we go the chemo/ radiation route? Until now we have removed the tumors and given her holistic pills to build up her general health. We thought it a good solution until now. At her age I don’t know what to think. Any advice / references related to chemo /radiation effects on old(er) dogs would be most helpful.How is chemo given... pills, drips, shots,ointment or something else? What are the effects on appetite, energy, temperament, and mobility. Thanks for any help you can give as we consider treatment possibilities. Mysti’s mom.
Attachments
Mysti looking.jpg
Christine

Re: Mysti has new tumor

Post by Christine »

Your Mysti is so brave and wonderful and lucky to have you right by her side. I know that Bully went through chemo nearly two years ago. Here is Karen talking about it. She has always been very helpful and supportive and would give you more information if you contact her.

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... nts#p74176

Holding Mysti in my heart with healing prayers.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

We always ask ourselves, Did I go too far? or Did I do too little? I'm a firm believer that our pets let us know when they've had enough. If your girl is still loving life, taking an interest in what's going on and doing the things she always liked to do, I would probably consider another surgery if it will give her more time, that is quality time.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right thing, because it will be done with love!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am hoping Diana R. will post. When we discussed radiation for my dog (different tumor in different location), they said it would be 7 sessions and each would require sedation. That would have been a lot of sedation for a senior dog. Everything I have heard says that dogs do not get as ill with chemo as humans do, they handle it better and any nausea is of short duration. You would know how she feels after trying one or two treatments, you could always discontinue treatment if you feel that would be best. I had a cat who had a vaccine sarcoma we decided not to operate on due to his age and other conditions and not having a real oncologist here anymore to provide follow up treatment. The vet (who I have never liked) said he'd seen cats with this condition who were fine for a year. I am not sure I made the right decision, he was OK for a couple of months but it was soon so large that it became uncomfortable and by the 4-month point it progressed to true pain and I lost him to it. I am not sure operating on it would have given better results, sometimes you have limited options. You've been working with an oncologist, haven't you? They should tell you what kind of protocols they would choose for this case. I am sorry you have another condition to deal with.
petJill13.8

Post by petJill13.8 »

Hi Carol
Thanks for the chemo info. We will see how her coughing /breathing goes before putting her through more sedation. This tumor is atypical compared to her others that have been all female oriented.
1. Large abdominal spleen tumor (2+lbs larger than a softball... but not cancer) Plus hysterectomy
2. Breast lumps and hanging lumps ... some atypical cells plus stage 2 cancer.
3. Exploratory for vaginal lumps .. atypical cells ... inoperable due to location. We won't crack her pelvis to reach them.
4. String of breast lumps ... atypical and 1 cancer.
The breast lumps have been fairly small and hard. This new leg one is less defined, softer, and more spread out. I have a tendency to grow lipomas ("organized fatty deposits",I call them.. I wish my body weren't so organized!) and Mysti's new tumor feels closer to a lipoma than to her preceding tumors that were removed. Since she seems to be a small "tumor factory", she may be making some different tumors now. The first surgeries she took in stride but recuperation was quite a bit slower last April. Are we treading on thin ground to try again? ... I'm not sure. We'll wait and watch for now. To answer your ? on oncologist... the surgeries have been done by the local vet with reports/ research from Vet school in NC. We have no oncologist near by ... probably at UVA or NC ... so there has been no discussion of follow up treatment from the local vets. Thanks for your interest. Will keep you posted. Mysti's mom
Mysti resting.jpg
Ronald

Mysti has new tumor :

Post by Ronald »

I think you are looking after your dog better and more than all.So i should only pray rather than to give you any advice.Your work is going better .So keep carry on and have a healthy sound dog again.
petJill13.8

Post by petJill13.8 »

Hi all
At last week check up, Mysti's vaginal tumors have enlarged some but don't block elimination at the present time. Her leg tumor hasn't enlarged but she has a few new external tumors. None of them seem to bother her so we remain in a "wait and see mode". Her cough is intermittent and she gets cough pills as needed. She has lost some weight so her teeth were checked ... they are worn down but not infected, so sedation for teeth cleaning will wait a bit. So all goes as well as it can for a 13-14 year old dog (who still loves her walks, attention, and a soft bed.) If all remains status quo, her next checkup will come in the fall. Cheers Mysti's Mom
Christine

Post by Christine »

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Mysti..
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08