16 year old dachshund

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
roneldprz

16 year old dachshund

Post by roneldprz »

Hi there,I am the proud parent of a 16 year old Dachsie who has had a lot of medical issues!
She had a back op for IVDD in 2002. She developed diabetes in 2005 and nearly died in 2008 from Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemi
This year she became blind with cataracts and deaf and her smell is not what it used to be. How can I help her?She seemed to (depressed and only wants to sleep! She stopped playing and does not want to eat much.Medically there's not much wrong. She just wants to eat stuff that we eat not the diabetic food. And she's so LOving! She wants to sleep in my arms At night! I love her so much! I so much want to stimulate her brain and teach her to still do stuff! I think part of the problem is we live with my parents and dad wants her to only sleep,eat and go to the toilet otherwise he moans at her! Any suggestions? I have to stay with my parwnts to help them and I have to work!
What can I do after work and weekends to help and stimulate her brain? I may not take her to dAchsi friends when she has her pil for the auto immune disease but in between I can.Do you peoplee think that can help?
Please please any advice please!
Thnks :thankyou:
CarolC

Re: 16 year old dachshund

Post by CarolC »

Hi, It might be a good idea to have a check-up even if the dog does not have anything obvious wrong. You could think of is as a "senior wellness check-up". That way you can be more sure nothing has changed since last time she was seen. Sometimes what seems like depression and reluctance to exercise might really be discomfort, such as joint pain for example. That may be helped with medication. Here is an article about doing physical therapy with an older arthritic dog. If you have time to do some of the exercises with her, she would probably consider it quality time with you.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/arthrit ... _cent.html

You did not say whether she has arthritis, but at her age it seems likely she has some. Perhaps the cold weather is making her stiff and not want to move. You might want to try to analyze your parents' house and compare it to where you lived with her before, and see if you can identify any differences. For example, do they keep the house colder? Is your dog required to walk up and down more stairs? Anything like that which you can think of?

Here is a lot of good information on aging dogs in general, perhaps it will give you some more ideas:

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.fr.html

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/care.gt.html#Exercise

I am not familiar with Dachsi Friends, but I know my dog loves to get out of the house and go places, so I am sure that would stimulate her and she would enjoy it if she feels up to it physically. My 15-yo dog likes to go for a ride in a baby stroller (pram). I take her for a "walk" every day. She gets fresh air and sunshine and interesting sights and sounds and interesting smells coming on the breeze. I enjoy it, too. :D

:group:
roneldprz

16. year old dachshund

Post by roneldprz »

Hi there!
I am the proud parent of a 16 year old dachsie!
She unfortunately has had many health problems! She had a back op in 2002;diabetes in 2005 and auto immune hemolytic anemia in 2008! She nearly died!
The vets call her a medical miracle!
In the last year she became blind because of cataracts. And now it seems as if her hearing is not very good anymore although she hears quite good every now and then. We live with my parents as I look after them. And my Tessie has become depressed the past few months. She had a checkup and her health is fine exept for her liver enzymes that is a bit high as a result of the diabetes etc.
My dad is not a very active guy-he is 71.And he want :thankyou: s Tessie sleep,eat and go to the toilet-I preume that may be part of the problem.And I had to start doing something for xtra money so I am training dogs and although I take off my clothed when I get back as not to upset her,she is very intelligent and she knows..I have talked to herand since then she only wants to sleep in my arm!Whatcan I do to stimulate her?We live in South Africa and it is dangerous to walk around alone in dark and earlier it is very hot! I try to walk her. In her baby pram and today took her to a shop,she loved that! But most shops do not allow dogs even if u carry them! She even opened a gift today! But what else can I do to stimulate her brain? Please give advice! I love her very much and want her to enjoy life!
Thanks
Ronel :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Re: 16. year old dachshund

Post by critters »

Hmm. Have you tried toys? Kongs tend to be enjoyed, and maybe a toy you can record your voice on. How about other stores you can take her to?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Ronel,

Could you take her with you to watch while you train the other dogs? She might love that!
2Dogs

Post by 2Dogs »

I think taking her to see other dogs be trained is a great idea. Also, I love the Kong line toys! Anything to keep the pup occupied is always a good thing. They also love the social interaction!