Suggestions for ramps/steps?

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
abbydog2010

Suggestions for ramps/steps?

Post by abbydog2010 »

I need a way to help my Abby get into my car. She's 10 years old and about 55lbs.

I found a site that sells many different steps and ramps, but all of the pictures show the ramps being used on vans or SUVs. My car is a smaller sedan (Yaris) and the back door doesn't open really wide, therefore the ramp couldn't be set down in a straight line.

Any suggestions for something to use on a car like mine with a dog this size?
CarolC

Re: Suggestions for ramps/steps?

Post by CarolC »

Yes...2 suggestions. I converted my car so my dog could get in. Here is an article on that. I'm not sure the angle of the photos shows it as well as it really works, but when it was done, my dog could step straight into the back seat area with no climbing, if I parked right next to the curb. It really worked. Later I got a Honda Fit and it also worked.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Automobile_conversion_for_a_disabled_dog

As far as the ramps, I think the brand (or one brand) Handicappedpets.com sells is called PetStep. If you go to the PetStep website, they have a door strap that will keep the ramp level for getting into the back seat. I have not tried it, I don't think they used to have it, but here is the link. You may be able to get the strap through HP since as far as I can tell, they sell this brand.

http://www.petstep.com/petstep-ramp-accessories.htm

Hope this helps. :)
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

Thank you so much Carol! I think that strap will do nicely and is exactly the kind of thing I was searching for. :D

Love the car conversion too.
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

Finally ordered the PetStep ramp and it came today. I followed the tips, lying it flat on the floor at first and using a few treats, Abby ws walking on it within a minute. I elevated one end a bit, and she was fine with that too. Finally I used it to help her on the sofa, and she went right up! Coming down is a bit harder for her, naturally, but I'm sure she'll get used to it quickly!

If anyone is needing a ramp for their dogs, I highly recommend this one. It's very sturdy with no wobbles and has a great rubberized surface for no slips at all.

I did also order the door strap accessory, but it hasn't come yet. When it does I'll comment on that as well.

Thanks again CarolC for pointing me in the right direction. :)
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Nice idea. The strap is interesting.

I have the same ramp but with the swimming pool legs. However, most of my dogs still won't use it. I can entice Janine in with a treat but otherwise it is a bust and it is hard to keep it tight enough not to pinch if it bends a bit (since it floats a little)! But their products are nicely versatile, the Halfstep ramp has available legs to turn it into a grooming table (which I keep meaning to order as I need a grooming table and don't need the ramp.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
abbydog2010

Post by abbydog2010 »

Well, I'm just hoping that when it comes to using it on my car, Abby will go for it. I'm counting on the fact that she so loves to get her butt in the car and go places that her desire will overcome any fears she may have. I can understand your dogs being hesitant if there's any wobbling or bending of the ramp in the water. Dogs certainly dislike walking on anything unstable unless they've long been conditioned to do so. Many dogs have one unpleasant experience and won't try again. Luckily, Abby can fall or stumble on the stairs, or slip on the ice outside and just picks herself up and tries again.

The only problem I have with the ramp is that it's a bit heavy and awkward for me, but I really have no option since there's no other way to get Abby into my car. She hasn't been for a ride since her Vestibular incident last fall, and I desperately need to get her to the vet for a nail clipping. All the other ramps/stairs I looked at seemed to really be made only for small, light dogs.