Senior German Shepherd Malachi

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
joanjar

Senior German Shepherd Malachi

Post by joanjar »

Hi all:

I have a 12 year old beautiful German Shepherd who has lost the ability to walk. My husband has made a cart for him, we are not using it too much. Malachi doesn't seem to mind dragging himself around.

He still plays with his toys, eats, drinks and appears to be happy. He has some incontinence issues as well.

I hate to put him down when he still seems to have a will to live. I am so sick over this and just wanted to get it off of my chest. I don't feel he has given up and I don't want to either.

My husband is supportive. My vet says he is at his life expectacny.

Any help advice would be aprreciated!
Andrea
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Senior German Shepherd Malachi

Post by Bobbie »

It sounds like Malachi might have degenerative myelopathy or a similar disease. There is no need to put him down as long as you can maintain his quality of life. I'd suggest trying to use the cart more, take him out, do some things to keep Malachi involved in life and happy. You may want to join our DM Dogs group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DMdogs where you will get other ideas about how to care for him.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
joanjar

Post by joanjar »

thanks for your quick response

Yes he has been diagnosed with hip dsypasia, cauda equina by one vet. The other vet did some xrays last week and said his spine has lesions.

I also have a gal that comes over and gives him massage therapy twice a week. He has had a bout with diahrrea and soft stools. He is currently on an antibiotic.

Becuase of the diahrrea we let him rest from the cart but are going to get him up and about this week, he seems to be feeling good.

Thanks
Andrea
Christine

Post by Christine »

Welcome to you and Malachi. Wonder if the antibiotic is causing the diarrhea? You might ask the vet if you could give him a pepcid pill to settle his stomach or perhaps he could prescribe a different antibiotic. You can give him a tablespoon or 2 of canned pumpkin (no spices) mixed in his food to help with it. We'd love to see a picture!

:welcomepink:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
joanjar

Post by joanjar »

thanks for the advice. The antibiotic is for the loose stool, there was a lot of bacteria in his stool. I have also been giving the pumpkin, but he seems to be moving his bowels too much. So I am going to cut that down until we finish the antibiotics.

I put him in his cart tonight and he did pretty good.

I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Thanks
Andrea
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Andrea, have you got him a malewrap yet? Malewraps are great, they save your carpet and your sanity. It's just a band that goes around his belly and holds a pad in place to catch urine. Here is some information about them:

:malewrap:

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

If you like, you can put handles on the malewrap and then it will double as a rear harness.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Male_wrap_with_handles

All I can say is, diarrhea with a big dog is never fun, and with a big down dog it's even less fun, however hopefully the medication is working. If it was my dog, I'd confine him till his stools are normal again, you'll wear yourself out cleaning the whole house and your husband will probably frown on that, too. Sometimes you have to do things for *your* peace of mind, in this case I think asking him to be confined for a few days is not asking too much.
joanjar

Post by joanjar »

Yes I have a male wrap that I have used. It leaks though even with the pads! And yes I have tried to confine him. I think this stuff hurts me more than him.

He really does hate to be confined but the other evening at 3 in th morning I had a mess to clean up and I did confine him.

We have a vet appointment on Monday am, I know they think I should put him down. But I don't believe he has given up yet. Dogs will give up won't they! Anyways I trust when the time comes we will know.

He will be in his cart again this evening. I will send a picture. Sorry I am bouncing around but this is very stressful. Today it is 12 years ago that I got him, he was 3 months old.

I like this site, it gives me an outlet.
Thanks
Andrea
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Try Assurance belted adult diapers (Walmart) instead of just a pad. They open flat like a baby diaper but no velcro so you still have to put them in a wrap, but they absorb a lot more than your basic pad does. If you can't find the belted ones you can cut the other ones open but it is more trouble.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
joanjar

Post by joanjar »

Thanks for the info. I will look into those as well.
joanjar

Post by joanjar »

Hi all:

Just an update on Malachi:

He is doing well, we have finally got the diahrrea under control. In the midst of everything he ended up with a bladder infection. I currently have him on very expensive antibiotics, that seem to be doing the trick. We have changed his diet to low fat, not low calorie. He loves the change from his Purina.

He is still getting massage therapy twice a week and we just took him for his first walk around the block in his cart. He did well, a little tired at the end, but I believe he will be gald to go again.

When he had the bladder issue and there was a little blood in it, I freaked I thought that was it and he was going to have to be put down. But he rebounded and we are just enjoying each-other for as long as we can. I have mourned him over and over and he isn't even gone yet.

I have made a decision when the time comes, I will have the vet come to my home and put him down there. It will be for both of us, I don't want to take him for his last car ride just to put him down. And when he is gone I can go to my room and cry my heart out.

Until then we will carry on. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas on this forum it has helped immensely. I went to wal-mart and got the male pads for his male guard, they work great.

Take Care and God Bless
Andrea