13 year old Cocker Spaniel with bad back

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Shatzieboy

13 year old Cocker Spaniel with bad back

Post by Shatzieboy »

My Cocker for the last few weeks has had issues using his back right leg and his left back leg isn't far behind with becoming as useless as the right one. He's seen two vets, been put on numerous meds and nothing works. The vets say he wrecked his back and that his leg issues are related to that so no real hope of them getting better. He is alert. He wants to go. We've tried building him a wheelchair to go off in but keep running into issue after issue. I'd like to purchase one but don't know what would be the best for him or even if it is worth it for him. If no one is around he is stuck lying on his side and can't control his bladder.It's not a happy dog life for him any longer. Just seeing what other's points of views are and am open to suggestions.
LisainCAN

Re: 13 year old Cocker Spaniel with bad back

Post by LisainCAN »

:welcomeblue:

I am sorry to hear about your Cocker. It is hard watching a beloved dog age.

I am curious about what issues you were having with the wheelchair? It is my experience that the wheelchair would need to be used only when you are around. Remember, the dog cannot lie down in it on its own. The key, I think, is to put the dog in a safe area while you are gone, like a playpen for babies lined with blankets. This way, if there is soiling, the blankets can be washed and the blankets also protect from sores.