Has anyone's dog had the following?

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
teeluvsaruba

Has anyone's dog had the following?

Post by teeluvsaruba »

Hi my name is Tina and I'm new here.
I'm writing in with the hope that someone can tell me why this is happening to my 13 year old Aussie.
On or around Thanksgiving Beckett (my Aussie) started crying, whining and scratching at the rug.
He had always been talkative but not like this and he always scratched a bit at the rug but nothing like this.
It starting getting worse once we came home from a trip to my mom's for Thanksgiving. We were gone for about 3 days.
This never seemed to affect him before. So now he has a hard time sleeping, he paces, whines and cries and scratches at the rug.
I should also say he has bad back legs due to hip dysplasia. He had surgery at 1 year old on one leg and we thing they screwed it up
because he was never right after that as far as walking. Things he still can do. He can walk up 13 stairs, he still eats although he's picky and eats when he wants to. He still know when to ask to go out, he hasn't messed in the house at all.
We have him on several drugs. Dermax and Tramadol for the pain from arthritis. Xanax and Amatriptilyne for anxiety and depression. The Xanax seems to help him sleep a bit. And lastly Theodor for his COPD which he has had for several years but has been fine at his anual check-ups.
So with that said. Anyone have any ideas. Don't hold back either. Tell me what you think based on what I told you but please be nice about it. I've been toying with making "the decision" and I don't need any meanies out there telling me how mean I am for not doing anything sooner or anything like that. I just need suggestions or ideas from people that may have experienced these types of symptoms with theirs dogs. Thanks, Tina
HappinessGrows

Re: Has anyone's dog had the following?

Post by HappinessGrows »

When you notice something is "off" with your elder dog you will need to take your dog to the vet and get x-rays and blood test. Before my first GSD was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer), I did notice some changes of whining and not being able to get comfortable. The diagnosis came with x-ray that showed the tumor in growing on his ribcage inside the chest cavity. Though you didn't describe tell-tale signs of Bloat (the mother of all emergencies), your dogs whining indicates discomfort or pain. If your dog had been experiencing problems with gas, this is troubling because it could be a pre-curser to Bloat (been there with my now 14 yr old baby dog, a 2 yr bloat survivor). A year before my dog bloated, she had a bout with gas. She wasn't able to pass gas so that she could go to the bathroom. I recall she did whine, pant (more than normal) and she was unable to sleep. When she did bloat, at some point she did get on my bed and crumpled up (scratching at) the comforter because of her being in extreme pain with bloat. It was her way of coping and trying to do something to relieve the pain. Bloat is immediate life threatening. The pain or discomfort that your dog is experiencing could be something that isn't life threatening, like a sore tooth. It's been several weeks since your post, so I hope that your dog is doing well.
teeluvsaruba

Re: Has anyone's dog had the following?

Post by teeluvsaruba »

Hi and thanks for responding to my post. He had an ultrasound for a possible bladder tumor which came back negative.
He is on pain meds for his hips which I think is the main cause of his pain. My doctor also thinks some of this is cognitive so we have him on Xanax an amatriptoline (sp?). He finally slept through the night until 7 am which is a first so I think the drugs might be working. We talked to the vet already about the fact that this not working and it may just be that it's his time. That thought is killing me. I'll keep the site posted and thanks again for the post.