Dental Care for Senior Cats

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
hlmcentyre

Dental Care for Senior Cats

Post by hlmcentyre »

Dear Cat Lovers:

My mom and I both have older cats (hers is over 13 and mine is almost 18) who are not at all used to having their teeth brushed, nor are they the slightest bit open to the idea. We have tried some dental bites provided by the average cat care company but are seeking something more effective with more reliably quality ingredients. Does anyone have any recommendations for natural or holistic products that are safe & keep cats' teeth clean and breath smelling fresh? Oh, and I almost for got the most important issue: my mom's cat cannot eat anything with *fish* in it (gives her the terrible runs). Obviously, this significantly narrows our choices, or we might have tried Virbac's C.E.T. Hextra Premium Chews or some such product. We could REALLY use your input, so:

:thankyou:

And Aloha!
FYI

Re: Dental Care for Senior Cats

Post by FYI »

hlmcentyre

Post by hlmcentyre »

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Any ideas on improving cat's breath & general dental care (not involving fish-related ingredients)?

Mahalo & Aloha!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Did you try the Feline Greenies in chicken flavor?
Feline Greenies wrote:unique nubbed shape that scrapes away tartar, while chlorophyll and rosemary extract help support fresh breath. Made with real chicken and oat fiber for a tasty treat
I've never tried them, but here's a link.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=13597

What about growing one of those little containers of kitty grass for indoor cats?

The best thing is probably just a dental appointment with the vet. That will take care of any tartar and loose or broken teeth. My vet can scrape tartar off my cat's teeth without anaesthesia, if you're concerned about doing a full dental.

If your kitty is almost 18, you might want to have her kidney values checked, as some degree of kidney trouble (chronic renal failure, or feline CRF) could be expected with a cat that age, and kidney problems can cause bad breath.

http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Health/Kidn ... ptoms.aspx
hlmcentyre

Post by hlmcentyre »

Thanks for the great input! Aloha!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

We've never used chews, etc., so I can't help you there. I used to brush Tad's teeth, though--with an infant toothbrush, and he didn't mind too much. The dog brushes are just too big. He also liked the meat-flavored critter toothpastes and considered them a treat.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

An easy thing to do that seems to help quite a bit is to get one of teh water additives for tartar control. There are a variety of them available, I don't really know which is best. I think right now we are using one made by Tropiclean. Add a tablespoon to a quart of water. No one has objected to the additive in the water, everyone still drinks normally. I would not put an 18 year old through a dental because of the anesthesia unless they needed a tooth removed. If they have severely bad breath, it can indicate an infection and a course of Antirobe (from your vet) is often a big help.
we haven't found the treats/chews to be very effective, although they are very tasty!

hope this helps.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"