Senior incontinent and DM issues

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Kurgan18

Senior incontinent and DM issues

Post by Kurgan18 »

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and I am glad I found your site! :)

I have a pure bred male Rottweiler who will be 14 years old in October. I have had him since he was just 10 weeks old. He is the love of my life! :)

Back in September 2010, he was diagnosed with cancer that had spread to his lymphatic system. He was given 10 months to live.

At that time, he was also diagnosed with Degenerative Myleopathic Disorder of the spine. I was told he would be paralyzed in 6 months to a year. On both cases, it has been almost two years.

Although he is still very, very active, he is starting to show signs of DM in his spine. His hip x-rays were perfect with the problem being in his spine and back legs which are becoming affected.

Some days he will have a slight problem with the back legs, others he is fine, but I am noticing it becoming more pronounced.

He also has become slightly incontinent. I keep his bed linens cleaned and wash them every day. He gets weekly baths and I keep him physically clean daily.

We live on a very large farm and he walks several times a day, runs and plays with his ball every day. He is in good spirits and has a hearty appetite. I am very grateful.

Does anyone else have a senior dog with these issues and if so, how are you handling things? I was told by the vet that if the cancer doesn't take him or his kidneys wear out (due to age) that he will become paralyzed. This is killing me!

I am looking into getting a doogie wheelchair for him.

Just curious if anyone else has been dealing with similar issues.

Thanks for listening and have a great day! :)
CarolC

Re: Senior incontinent and DM issues

Post by CarolC »

The thing that helped me with my dog was malewraps.
:malewrap:
They are a male doggie diaper with an absorbent pad inside. Saves a lot of laundry. I was going to recommend the brand I used for my dog but I see they are out of stock for the xxlarge (up to 36" waist). You might check with them to see when they will be back in stock, or try another brand. I liked these because they stayed on. Also, they come in tan or black, and the black would probably look very nice on a rottweiler. You're going to want a maximum absorbency pad for a dog that size. My dog drank an awful lot because of his kidneys.

http://www.indogneeto.com/index2.asp?id=3&cid=68

:gang:
Kurgan18

Post by Kurgan18 »

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

I will check them out. Isn't it silly that I never wanted to go the diaper route because I didn't want to embarrass him? :) I know that sounds dumb but I think of him as a child and not a dog plus I want to think of him as young and healthy forever!

Thanks again and have a great day! :)
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

My handsome YOUNG male wears a wrap. They come in all kinds of macho fabrics. Try http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/bellybands911.htm

And see some of the fabrics

http://www.pekeatzurescue.com/bellyband ... fabric.htm

It benefits a rescue, they come in all sizes, and are very quick. My boys have a couple of pirate prints, among other things.

Also try the yahoo group DMDogs (substitute DMdogs for Wheelcorgis in my signature.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Kurgan18

Post by Kurgan18 »

Hey there!

I LOVE it!!! I never dreamed they came in so many different fabrics and styles!

His "daddy" was a biker so there ya go!

Thank you so much for taking the time to educate me about them. This is new territory for me and am just sick thinking about what is coming for him.

I got him as a 10 week baby back in 1998. I had just lost twin boys and he was given to me to ease my broken heart. He did more than that! He has saved my life twice, therefore I will do anything to save his.

Thanks again and I am excited about looking at all of the different styles!

Have a great day! :)
Kurgan18

Post by Kurgan18 »

Hey there!

I LOVE it!!! I never dreamed they came in so many different fabrics and styles!

His "daddy" was a biker so there ya go!

Thank you so much for taking the time to educate me about them. This is new territory for me and am just sick thinking about what is coming for him.

I got him as a 10 week baby back in 1998. I had just lost twin boys and he was given to me to ease my broken heart. He did more than that! He has saved my life twice, therefore I will do anything to save his.

Thanks again and I am excited about looking at all of the different styles!

Have a great day! :)
Eddie123

Post by Eddie123 »

Hi

I am dealing with very similar issues with my old guy. Eddie is a 14 year old mixed breed (63 pounds). He is incontinent and has DM. He can still walk (more like stumble) a little, so he can go out for a pee but he falls when he tries to poop. He is generally bowel incontinent so he just poops in his bed. It is easy enough to clean up and not a big deal. His urinary incontinence is getting much harder to handle so he now wears a belly band at all times indoors. I have femine pads in it and change them multiple times daily. I've tried him on phenylpropanolamine (PPA) but he suffers side effects: loss of appetite, anxiety and urine retention (this was scary...he was unable to pee!). So, we quit the PPA and I just deal with the incontinence. I will switch to human incontinence pads if it gets much worse.

There is definitely a loss of dignity in all of this. The only belly bands I could find were turquoise. Who thinks that is a good idea?? Why couldn't they just be black? It is not cute. It is just a reminder of my dog's failing body. He has always been stoic. He was a very manly dog and he is now, physically, a shell of the dog he was. It is hard to watch but I know we've had a great life together.

I have Walkin' Wheels for Eddie and the cart has been a lifesaver! He loves it and his quality of life has improved immensely since we can now get out for regular walks. It takes a lot of time and energy to care for him but he is still the same guy inside. I don't think we have much time left so we are trying to give him joy everyday.

I wish you and your rottie all the best. You are not the only one in this boat!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Did you try the link I posted for belly bands? All kinds of fabrics. Or try Simple Solution-Pupsters brand; they are denim, blue, fine for males. You'd want at least an XL of the latter, I think. It has elastic which is better for some dogs, worse for others. You can also use a whole adult human incontinence diaper if you have a heavy pee-er.

I guess I have gotten so used to it that it doesn't bother me to see my boys in belly bands, but we don't have anything particularly feminine. Right now Oliver has on black wth white pawprints and Candy has on green frogs. The most feminine is probably these pieced ones I made. (Fixed now to fit a little snugger.)

87983__106a82ca.jpg
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels