17 YO Cockapoo walking into walls.

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
babyluv9778

17 YO Cockapoo walking into walls.

Post by babyluv9778 »

I was woke up this morning by my 17 year old cockapoo walking aimlessly through the house running into EVERYTHING!! I would call her name and she would eventually find her way to me but turn around and start pacing and walking into things again. We finally had to put her in her crate to keep her from hurting herself. She will not lay down or calm down. It's almost as if she is agitated. My husband tried to offer her water and she didn't want to take it, but even after we put her in the cage, she is still trying to wonder around the crate. She won't lay down in it either. We were told the last time she was at the vet, that she was developing cataracts, so not sure if she has completely lost her sight and just isn't adjusting well or what exactly is happening. I have placed a call to the emergency line with my vet's office and am waiting to hear back. If anyone has ANY suggestions or information that could be helpful, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Christine

Re: 17 YO Cockapoo walking into walls.

Post by Christine »

As a previous owner of a dog who suddenly went blind, I can tell you that if your dog has lost her sight, she is confused and scared right now. Once the vet has confirmed this and no other problems (hopefully, blood testing) with your help, she will adjust better than you will. Please take time to read the the information on our Index page about Blindness while you wait for more word from your vet. How wonderful to have a 17 year old dog!

:welcomepink:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
babyluv9778

Re: 17 YO Cockapoo walking into walls.

Post by babyluv9778 »

Thank you for your post. We took her in this morning and the Vet said that he believes that she has indeed lost her sight and was telling us not to move things in the house and things like that, as it will only add to her confusion. She is still at the Vet's office at the moment, he wanted to sedate her and run some tests and things to be absolutely certain. He said that her heart and lungs and everything sounded great for a dog her age and that she seems very spry! He said that he thought her reaction this morning was more of a panic attack type reaction then an indication of something being wrong with her physically, other than her sight. I was so very grateful to hear that she was pretty healthy for the most part. He was surprised by her age as well! She is my baby and has been well cared for over the years. Thank you again for taking the time to reply. :D