boarding senior cat

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
gypsy rose

boarding senior cat

Post by gypsy rose »

I have a 15 year old female persian that I am going to have to board for possibly up to 3 months. She is going blind, has detached retinas, but can see some things. She is also on blood pressure medication. I have accepted a new job and will be relocating. Since I will be on probation for 90 days, the facility is providing me with a room but due to some clients having allergies, I cannot have gypsy with me. This is an old house that has been remodeled and converted into an outpatient drug and alcohol treatment center. The community is small and very remote. There is a vet hospital that provides boarding, which is my only option for my senior cat. I am very concerned about how she is going to adjust to having to be in a boarding facility for this length of time. The past couple of months she has gotten more clingy to me, and I have to lift her up onto the bed as she wants to sleep right next to me. She won't be able to do this since I will have to board her. I am concerned about her health and if it would be better to just put her down rather than to put her through something that may be too stressful for her. I live in a place now that has a fenced yard and she comes outside with me when the weather is nice, but is strictly indoors when the weather turns cold. My plan would be to spend time with her everyday when I get off work, but I'm just not sure if this will be enough for her. I'm interested in how others feel about this situation. I am an avid animal lover, but have had two animals in my life who have seen me through the roughest and hardest times of my life, and this little girl has seen me through some pretty hard times in the past 6 years. I would like to hear from others and your opinions.
CarolC

Re: boarding senior cat

Post by CarolC »

Are you required to live in the facility while on probation? Would they let you rent a one-bedroom someplace instead?
gypsy rose

Post by gypsy rose »

Unfortunately, this is a very small community of 2500 that serves 6 counties. The nearest large town is over 100 miles away. This is my first job as a counselor after graduating out of school a few months ago. Giving me a room to stay in while on probation is a courtesy provided by the facility. If for some reason they don't think I'll work out, then I haven't had to put out a lot of money for moving expenses and rent. I'm really at a crossroads with what would be most fair and humane for my little girl. I'm leaning toward boarding her and at least giving her a chance to see if she'll adjust. If she begins to go downhill, then it will be time to have her put down, but at least I will have given her an opportunity to see if she will thrive.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If she doesn't like living in a cage, could you "board" her with friends or family? That's what I did when I had to go away for 6 or 8 weeks; my parents babysat my cat.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am attaching a picture of my Betsy, who had a similar situation. She had blue eyes, but I don't know if you can tell in the photo, they looked red or black because she was blind. She was doing well enough in our house until I fostered 2 terriers after Katrina and she became stressed with the activity and stopped grooming. I ended up giving her her own bedroom where she spent most of the day, and it really worked out. You would think a cat might not want to be alone, but I guess it depends on the cat. She learned her way around the bedroom and was able to relax and feel safe. She had her litter box and I put a pad under it to keep the carpet clean and the carpet stayed clean. I also gave her a heating pad set on low with a flannel cover, and that was great for her arthritis. What I'm thinking is, it probably depends a lot on the cat, but if you are going to have to pay for boarding, that is never cheap where I live. Like you say, you would have to see how it goes. Perhaps she is a big "people person" and will become a great favorite at the vet clinic and thrive. Or perhaps she will be confused by the noise and bustle and sound of big dogs, and the stress might affect her bp. I like the idea of keeping her with a relative, and they might agree if they knew she could just be kept in one room. If she is a people person and does not like being alone, then she would probably cry, but if she's like my cat she would spend her day grooming and sleeping and be very happy. Perhaps the best idea would be to be flexible. Say, "I am going to try Plan A, but if that doesn't work, I will try Plan B." So for example, you leave her with a relative and if she cries, you board her at the vet instead, or vice versa? I'm kind of thinking since it sounds like she is not in a house with other pets right now and you have probably been gone a lot attending classes, she is used to being alone and a quiet room might be more to her liking, but it's just a guess, you are the one who would know her better.
:hearts:
Betsy_heating_pad.JPG
gypsy rose

Post by gypsy rose »

Thank you all for the insight. There is another cat and dog that lives where I'm presenting residing at least part of the time. While it's true she is used to have a more quiet area, she is at that point where she sleeps more. But when I'm home, she wants to be right by my side sleeping next to me. This is something that just recently started though. She was content to sleep in an area on the floor that was kind of like a cubbyhole feeling, but now she wants to be next to me. Unfortunately, I am totally alone. My husband and I parted ways a few years ago and I couldn't have children. As far as relatives, they have all passed away. At least boarding her I can visit on a daily basis that way she doesn't feel like I've totally abandoned her. I'm sure since this is a vet facility that if they notice the noise is too much for her, they will put her in a more quiet area. I'm sure my cat isn't the only one they have boarded over the years that needs a more quiet area. Gypsy may do just fine, but then again she may deteriorate. I just want to make sure I'm not putting her down before she's ready. I'm not one that can handle seeing an animal suffer no matter if it's my animal or someone else's, even though it will be hard for me. Right now she has a heck of an appetite, she isn't crying like she's in pain or totally confused, in fact, she appears to be doing fairly well given her age and blood pressure. Again, I want to thank you for all the input..